Just bought a 2005 sierra 5.3 crew cab z71 off road at 180k. When I brake into a turn it feels like the abs is kicking on occasionally. I'm coming off driving a 2001 audi s4 so I'm not sure if I'm just driving the truck too hard or if I have an issue. I haven't noticed it stopping in a straight line. Am I just throwing too much weight into the turn?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2012 at 4:57 PM, absinthminded said:

So I've got a 2003 GMC Z71 Sierra with 165k on the clock. I loved this truck since I bought it in 2007 but now it starting to show some age and wear and I'm thinking about selling or trading it.

So far, I've replaced the started, both hubs, breaks, fludis, plugs and wires of course. I have neglected it and it needs front axle seals, water pump, shocks, knock sensors, evap sol, and I'm sure 4 new o2 sensors couldn't hurt. Oh, not to forget the heated seat element in the driver's seat that I never fixed. Some guy drug his mirrior all the way down the passenger side of the truck one day because his lane ended and he thought merging into the side of my truck was a good idea. Fixed. I've been rear ended twice, its was fixed once. Recently my wife dragged the side of the box down one of those poles that guard a building at the drive threw. A while back while pumping gas I looked at the bottom of the door exterior side down low and found a bubble in the paint. I popped it, full of water ugh.

I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts, opinions, or "this is what I would do." I've really gotten interested in diesels lately and I'd love a 4 door 2006 Duramax. They are about 20k. Wonder if I could get 9k for mine.I don't really tow much yet but I hope to someday.

I had a 07 Classic Duramax. I think I can say one of the best and most fun I have owned!

Truck pictures 001.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, Im new here and just wanted to see if I can be point in the right direction. I am working out  on an 01 (GTM800) Singe cab short box. Its a roller and will be getting the LQ9 treatment but cant tell if there is a difference between the 99-02 Round Headlights/front end and the 03+ square head lights/ front end? I mean is there a common abbreviation to tell them apart? I am trying to research what fits what and what I need to do the updated look. Im sure it has been done and I rather find a build thread or DIY then to ask something that his been done before and not clutter the forum. Also looking into the possibility of a 6 speed swap but not sure if any GMT800s came in manual transmission or not.

Edited by Jose Alfredo Lopez

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hey all, just got a 13 chevy lt zz71. i was stuck in slow moving traffic today (it was also misting/light rain) and i was getting so much break squeak i almost got out and walked. only seems to happen when going slow or using light brake pressure. if i'm going average speeds no squeak. it even carried on after i let off the brake until i got up to speed. can't tell if it's coming from the front or the back though. from what i've read it's a common problem. any fixes yet?

• 2 weeks later...

i'll go ahead and answer my last question. had some time to inspect the brakes and it turns out that only one pad was worn down very far. got some new pads and had to do a lot of clean up on the caliper mount to get everything to fit right. i'll probably be looking at an overhaul in the future, but this should work for now. squeaking is fixed.

On 12/15/2018 at 2:25 AM, denialanderror said:

hey all, just got a 13 chevy lt zz71. i was stuck in slow moving traffic today (it was also misting/light rain) and i was getting so much break squeak i almost got out and walked. only seems to happen when going slow or using light brake pressure. if i'm going average speeds no squeak. it even carried on after i let off the brake until i got up to speed. can't tell if it's coming from the front or the back though. from what i've read it's a common problem. any fixes yet?

1 hour ago, denialanderror said:

i'll go ahead and answer my last question. had some time to inspect the brakes and it turns out that only one pad was worn down very far. got some new pads and had to do a lot of clean up on the caliper mount to get everything to fit right. i'll probably be looking at an overhaul in the future, but this should work for now. squeaking is fixed.

Well I know on the GMT 800's there was an issue with the back brakes calipers freezing up due to the splash of crap coming off the road and onto the calipers.  GM has a TSB out to but splash shields up in front of the rear wheels to prevent this.  My 2002 suffered from this so I replaced both rear calipers, pads and rotors.  I'm still on the front pads at 186k miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Of all the pickups I had this was my favorite. This pic was after I had to put on "rust" flares - looked so much cleaner without them before it started rusting. I drove this thing for over 120k, and literally hauled our house home with it one trailer load at a time. Only had to put a fuel pump in it. Still had the same tires on it that were used when we bought it, I will have to say they made me a believer of BFG. Sadly with the amount of miles and the rust we let it go.   

image.thumb.png.769f7d79fb4cdb3df68b70907cab3d1f.png

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On 5/16/2019 at 2:19 AM, YFSILVEY said:

Hey everyone 

Just bought my first pickup, a 2006 Silverado 5.3L V8.

I wanted to ask if anyone installed a double din in there truck?
All GTM-800 Trucks 2003 and up, take a Double Din radio.