2014 Toyota Tundra - New sheetmetal and interior, thats about it

Tundra is by far the ugliest truck on the planet..........Whoever is in charge of the Truck/SUV design at Toyota should have been fired years ago.

Toyota trucks looked good before they started building full size and pre Tacoma. I loved the looks of the 1994 and older bodies.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

Alright. The redesigned Tundra has been out for what.. 3 years now? Around here, it seems to be a hit among the office crowd.. aka the people who drive the truck to the office and around on the weekends, but don't really do any work with the truck. And I have to admit, the looks of the 2013+ models have started to grow on me. It is not as silly/funny looking as the 2007-2013 model and does have a more.. toned down and down to business look to it. Something I like to see on all trucks. (ford and Nissan get top honors for the ugliest trucks out there)

There were some changes made to the power train, but nothing too drastic. Yohota has slowly been making changes over the past few years to improve the ride experience and driving experience, trying to fine tune things, if you will. There seems to be some praise in that regards. However- when it comes to hauling and towing- it still is subpar from what I am reading in the magazines. This seems to be Yohota's next area of focus to try to improve upon, If they are successful, I think they will have a real contender in the market and we'll start to see sales drop from Ford, GM, and even the Dodge brothers. I do think we'll see a 3/4 ton truck and diesel (both for the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton) from Toyota before 2025 and that will be a new interesting player in the HD segment. There are plenty of disappointing owners across the boards and when someone new comes along that has established their reputation on longevity and reliability for their small pond skimmers like the Tacoma and their car segement, that just might get the attention they need from many fed up of the games that the big-3 have played over the years.

Would I buy one? I don't think so. I'm pretty loyal to GM and would not mind trying the Dodge brothers out. But I think Crapota is now a serious contender in the 1/2 market after much trial and failure since the days of the "mighty" T100 back in the mid to late 90s.

Oh what a feeling? We'll see.

Toyota sticks with powertrains as long as possible. The 4Runner (and till last year, the Tacoma) has had the same engine and trans since 2005. Tundra is the same since 2007. It's a pig on gas compared to some from what I hear but I'd still like to drive one. Traveling for work I managed to drive GM, Ford and Ram trucks but the Tundra has proven elusive.

Since 2007 ?!?

Yep. The DOHC 5.7 and six speed auto are long in the tooth but they're both solid pieces. The 5.7 had some issues when new with an emissions component failing but I think Toyota ended up covering that failure for people even past warranty.

Archived