2014+ Gas Mileage (MPG) Topic

My wife has a 14 Texas Edition Silvarado 4x4 with 5.3 motor, 342 rear end and tonneau cover. We got 20.2 mpg on a roundtrip from Ft. Worth to Ft. Walton Beach last week. Interstate highway posted speed was 75 and we drove 80 most of the way. Of course that had some city driving in it too. She gets a little over 16 mpg in heavy city traffic around Ft. Worth. I was so impressed with her truck that I bought one just like it this week except mine is a Silvarado Z71 and a different color.

• Like 1

I don't know how you guys are getting these mileage numbers. The DIC shows a 50-mile best of 28 (not sure how true that is) but my 'city' numbers are around 11s and highway closer to 20 (s. Cal to Vegas) @ 70 mph. I do live in a 'hilly' area. I have a 7-8% grade for 3/4 of a mile just to leave my neighborhood. But even with the hills, I am driving some other flat too, in city. I'm accelerating smoothly and am trying to get better mileage numbers, so I am not lead-footing (not babying it either as I want to train the tranny by my normal driving patterns). Am I doomed here? Is anyone else experiencing these kinds of numbers? Is a 'California' Sierra different than the other states models? 5.3 with 3.08 axle.

Mine are almost identical...

Sent from my SCH-I535

2200 miles in and stuck at 14.5 (since day 1). would say that's a 50/50 mix of highway and city. I'm going to go to trip B and reset to zero and see if the mileage has improved. I have a bit of a lead foot and live in a very congested area so I'm not expecting 20ish, bit I am a little disappointed with what I've gotten so far. Gas prices have come way down since I bought the truck a couple of months ago so that has eased the sting a tad.

As others have said, as the engine breaks in a bit more hopefully my numbers will improve.

Not sure how folks are pulling of 22+ mpg doing 75. At 70 I can barely do 18 with a tailwind and a tonneau cover. Very disappointed in hwy mpg. City is okay but hwy sucks. I have noticed this truck is very sluggish at shifting and is almost never in V4. I may take it in to have the AFM looked at. I have 1800 miles now. 4x4 crew cab, 5.3, 3.42. No lifts or big tires.

Same here... 70mph is 18-19 mpg. Bone stock, 342s, but only 800 miles on the vehicle so far. I'm calling BS on anyone posting 24-28 at 70 mph. Downhill and/or with a strong tailwind doesn't count.

• Like 1

Ive got an LTZ 4x4 with 3.08's Ive gotten a good solid 24.2Mpg averaging 65-70, when on the Turn pike doing 75 I was getting 22.4.. around town I am getting about 17.5 (if I keep my foot out of it) Ive only got around 2k on the truck and most of that driving is probably 70-30 city-highway... and Overal Average so fat is 18.5... Im more than happy with my fuel economy.. and mine is ALL STOCK...some are installing Leveling Kits and that WILL lower your MPG...

Same here... 70mph is 18-19 mpg. Bone stock, 342s, but only 800 miles on the vehicle so far. I'm calling BS on anyone posting 24-28 at 70 mph. Downhill and/or with a strong tailwind doesn't count

Just made a 358 mile round trip from Fort Worth to Norman, OK and back, through wind (headwind / crosswind / tailwind), mountainous terrain in the Arbuckle mountains, and flat land. This was on a 2nd straight tank of E85, with the cruise control set on 75mph the entire way, with very minimal (3-4 miles) town driving. I averaged 17.8 mpg on the DIC trip readout. My last trip from Fort Worth to Lubbock and back I averaged 22mpg on premium unleaded. The mileage is definitely better (about 25-30%) with unleaded, but you can feel a difference in power with the E85. I'm 100% stock 2wd crewcab, 20" texas edition wheels, 5.3 and .342 gears.

• Like 1

I too felt the difference in Power on E85 it quite a difference, however it needs to be at current gas prices about 1.29 cheaper to make it worth it for me...

Just made a 358 mile round trip from Fort Worth to Norman, OK and back, through wind (headwind / crosswind / tailwind), mountainous terrain in the Arbuckle mountains, and flat land. This was on a 2nd straight tank of E85, with the cruise control set on 75mph the entire way, with very minimal (3-4 miles) town driving. I averaged 17.8 mpg on the DIC trip readout. My last trip from Fort Worth to Lubbock and back I averaged 22mpg on premium unleaded. The mileage is definitely better (about 25-30%) with unleaded, but you can feel a difference in power with the E85. I'm 100% stock 2wd crewcab, 20" texas edition wheels, 5.3 and .342 gears.

My 4x4 crew, 5.3 and 3.42 is averaging between 19.5 and 20.5. The 20.5 comes when I have 90% highway at about 65mph, with a few slow downs for traffic along the way. Too many city miles and it will drop to around 17 or so, that being about 30% city driving. 2100 miles on the clock right now, it will go for a 1500 mile road trip in a couple of weeks. I am expecting around 18mpg or so, that will be at mostly 75-80 mph speeds. Hoping for a tailwind in both directions!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Half of the road trip in the books yesterday. 735 miles, 75-80mph most of the way and a really strong tailwind and the average was about 22 with the tailwind, when I turned east and lost the tailwind it dropped down to about 19.2. 19.2 still isn't bad for 75-80mph. I was happy with it. Hoping for no wind on the return trip Monday to get a better idea of mileage.

Mike

I put some highway miles on the truck yesterday. About 50-60 miles round trip. Cruise set on 70 mph. the "mpg for last 50 miles" was up around 20.9 at its best) and the "mpg for last 25 miles" was up around 21.3 at its best.

Overall I am impressed. And the truck only has 1400 miles on it.

Edited by fondupot

First semi-long trip in the truck this weekend. 225 miles round trip that went from 5,000 to 11,000 miles above sea level. Mostly highway driving, but some stop and go. Computer showed an average of 20.6 mpg.

Mileage definitely suffers chugging up the moutain passes, but it's great to see the improvment coming down the other side in V4.

5.3 Crew Cab SLT 3.42 with BakFlip Tonneau and 20'' wheels. Only 600 on the odometer.

Edited by ronmexico