Adding Aftermarket Sub/Amp

Remove right side bolster and it's above the right side kick panel, big rubber grommet facing fender down behind battery, a coat hanger and Vaseline is your friend.

Edited by TDT

Hey I want to put in a subwoofer in my truck, but don't want to lose Underseat storage. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to take out the back seat to out 1 or 2 10" subs with a box behind the rear seat? I don't have a power sliding rear window. Thanks in advance

This is absolutely the cleanest and best sounding sub box I have ever used in my trucks. 2 little 10w3's firing down with a modest 500w JL audio amp will still make you eyballs wiggle and you would never know it's in the truck by looking at it.

http://www.jlaudio.com/product/54216.103634.2094.32474.1078350/Chevrolet_SilveradoGMC_Sierra_Crew_Cab_Trucks_%2714-Up

Hey I want to put in a subwoofer in my truck, but don't want to lose Underseat storage. Does anyone know how difficult it would be to take out the back seat to out 1 or 2 10" subs with a box behind the rear seat? I don't have a power sliding rear window. Thanks in advance

Taking out the seat is easy. Having enough space behind rear seats will be the problem. Will require a very shallow custom box and you'll likely have to work around or relocate factory amp bolted to rear wall.

First of all id like to say thanks for all of the helpful information.Thanks to MotoMedic I've successfully installed 5000k Morimoto 3five HIDs on my 2014 GMC Sierra SLE.

I have the bucket seats with the non-Bose system. I want to install a subwoofer under my center console where the Bose subwoofer is normally located. How practical is this? I want to save space and i thought i might as well utilize the empty space under my center console, if there is any under the non-Bose center console. Is it necessary to remove the seats to take the console apart? How difficult is it to take the console apart? I would greatly appreciate any pictures or answers to these questions.

I have the bucket seats with the non-Bose system. I want to install a subwoofer under my center console where the Bose subwoofer is normally located. How practical is this? I want to save space and i thought i might as well utilize the empty space under my center console, if there is any under the non-Bose center console. Is it necessary to remove the seats to take the console apart? How difficult is it to take the console apart? I would greatly appreciate any pictures or answers to these questions.

It's not difficult and is mentioned a bit earlier in the topic. Problem is there's not much room under the console. Look at pic of Bose sub in very first post.. that's the max size your box can be.

• Like 1

Here is what I ended up doing with my SLE. It's a Kicker Hideaway 8" powered sub. It fits great with the under seat storage and sounds good. qu3e9yvu.jpg9ynatagu.jpg

How hard was this to install? where did you get the signal from and how did you route your wires? looking to get this as well

For those with the floor mounted console I was able (after some slight modification to the box) able to fit one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6HpvOuQQHai/p_13616LW3V3/JL-Audio-CP106LG-W3v3.html

in the location of the stock bose sub. Of course I didn't have a stock bose subwoofer that's why I did it but honestly it would be excellent upgrade to the Bose woofer as well, little 150 watt alpine amp going to it and I've got all the bass I could want. Slightly too much actually now i need an amp for the stock speakers to boost em up a bit I guess... I would post pics but there's nothing to see ;) completely hidden...

For those with the floor mounted console I was able (after some slight modification to the box) able to fit one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6HpvOuQQHai/p_13616LW3V3/JL-Audio-CP106LG-W3v3.html

in the location of the stock bose sub. Of course I didn't have a stock bose subwoofer that's why I did it but honestly it would be excellent upgrade to the Bose woofer as well, little 150 watt alpine amp going to it and I've got all the bass I could want. Slightly too much actually now i need an amp for the stock speakers to boost em up a bit I guess... I would post pics but there's nothing to see ;) completely hidden...

I'm very interested in hearing more about how you modded the box, where you tapped into the signal, where you mounted the amp. Its exactly what I want to do thanks

I'm very interested in hearing more about how you modded the box, where you tapped into the signal, where you mounted the amp. Its exactly what I want to do thanks

I "military tapped" the signal from behind the screen. The green connector I believe. Top left I'm pretty certain. I used an amplifier (alpine mrv-m250) that has line level inputs or whatever it's called, it also uses the signal from those wires to turn amp on so no need for a 12v source, then ran the tapped wires down to amp, pretty simple.

As for the box, I have it facing down with the port located forward and on drivers side.

Making it fit was relatively simple surprisingly. With the center console out I just tried to fit it in there, noted where it needed some trimming, removed the carpet from those areas (three total) then dremeled it till it fit. The areas were on the two sides and one forward passenger side on the front of the box. The two sides had an area about 4"x6" that needed to be cut down about a quarter inch and the front needed some of the overhang of the box cut flush.

To make it simple if i were to do it again i would just cut the overhang off either side then cut roughly 1/4 inch off of the sides with a table saw and be done with it. It would fit with room to spare with that done.

I apologize for the lackluster description, pictures would make it obvious but pulling the console out isn't simple enough just for a couple of pictures. I got the idea from another build: AWESOME AWESOME build btw

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/159994-2014-chevy-silverado-musicar-northwest.html

You can see the two side cuts on that box I'm referring too. It will be obvious when you are trying to get it in there.

All in all it was way easier for me to do it this way instead of building a box from scratch. The little ported 6.5" W3 is an awesome little setup. Best of all, it's not in the way and not visible.