Brand new truck, wax advice please.

Hello gracious forum.

Recently ordered a new 2014 Sierra and this is my first new truck and I would like to do-it-right the first time when it comes to caring for my paint. On a brand new truck what do you recommend I apply to protect the paint. Do I need to do anything need to seal it? or just use wax? What about the diamond-kote paint sealant they tried to sell me at the dealership? I live in Canada where winter is a pain so I'd like to add a layer or protection to the paint if possible and appreciate any advice you can offer..

Thank You,

- Alan

I just put some DP paint coating on my truck. Supposed to last 2 yrs. This stuff is pretty nice. One thing I have noticed is it does repel dust.

I love trying all kinds of products but this one just shot up my list. I topped it with Collinite 845, should give great protection this winter

http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html

One word, Adams.

Adams makes the best products around, period.

Even if the truck is brand new, clay bar it first. There is a good chance your truck was on the rails at some point and time. Locomotives shoot oil and soot out of the exhaust, and this can reach your truck inside the auto-rack. Also, rail dust and particles from locomotive brakes WILL end up on virtually every car in the auto-rack train. I spent some time working for a short line railway a few years ago, and I can tell you now, locomotives spew everything and anything.

My suggestion is to clay the truck first, and than apply wax. If you apply wax on top of contaminants, you are just sealing in contamination.

Unlike many people, you have the chance to start with a clean slate. Spend the money on the best products like Adams, and you will never regret it.

Congrats on the new ride!

At a bare minimum, you should clay bar it and lay down a coat of wax or sealant.

If it's a daily driver, take a look at either our Machine Super Sealant (if you have a machine) or Quick Sealant. Both have great longevity, much longer than a wax.

If it's not a daily driver or if you want to dive in a little deeper, then you have other options.

Check out you tube and there is a channel called "drive." There is a show called "drive clean" the guys does all sorts of detailing videos and he gives his website where you can download instructional pdf's and different techniques. Adams might have stuff like that at their site too, I just watch a couple other shows on the drive channel so I am more familiar with that stuff.

Thanks guys for the awesome advice.. I've been watching youtube videos like cobrajet84 mentioned on how to clay bar correctly and going to order some Adam's products online and follow your advice when the truck comes in.. Thank you all...

- Alan

Archived