Does new 5.3 burn oil?

Well I am now a little nervous.... I have a 2015 silverado 5.3 with 9900 kms. no issues so far.....but...

My buddy has a 2014 Sierra 5.3 with 55000 kms on it. He started it up this morning and was engulfed in a cloud of blue smoke. Turned the truck off and checked the oil, was way below the low line. He has consistently checked the dipstick for oil use issues, and nothing up until now.

Recent oil change was 2000 kms ago....wonder if this may relate. If so how?

He has warranty changes for oil and uses it within 10-15% of oil life left, which is ususally every 9-11000 kms. Which is what GM recommends.

Any thought or ideas why the 2014 5.3 has burned up so much oil?

EDIT: I would also like to stress that my buddy takes really good care of his vehicle and neglects it in no way possible. No mods, nothing done to the truck at all. We have no idea what is wrong.

It could be many things. Diagnosing an engine problem over the internet is like a doctor telling you how to do an appendectomy over the phone. He should take it to a dealer, leave it overnight in the customer parking area and demonstrate the smoke cloud to the service manager. If it's as bad as you allude, they'll dig into it. New PCV valve (he can do that, if he's inclined), compression checks, valve stem seals. That's my short list.

Diagnosing an engine problem over the internet is like a doctor telling you how to do an appendectomy over the phone.

Agreed.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced silimar issues to date with oil consumption. He will be bringing it in within a few days.

Thanks!

Agreed.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced silimar issues to date with oil consumption. He will be bringing it in within a few days.

Thanks!

Dave,

I've been on these forums for years. Oil burning is all over them, regardless of brand, model or engine. Decades ago, in the early 70s, I recall a Ford Pinto our family had. It burned about a quart every 1000 miles. The dealer pulled out a Service Bulletin that showed that 600 miles or more to the quart was acceptable before warranty action.

My old 99 1/2 GMT800 2500 6.0L (1st year LS engine) would puff a little cloud out on cold start after it got 50,000 miles on it. It rarely took a quart between the 5000 mile oil changes, but it got low. That truck was still going strong at 225,000 miles when I sold it. Today, it belongs to a friend and he has close to 300,000 miles on it. The engine hasn't changed it's rate of oil consumption. Mobil 1 from the 1st change. I run M1 in my new truck and the 2008 I had in between.

Edited by spurshot

Dave,

I've been on these forums for years. Oil burning is all over them, regardless of brand, model or engine. Decades ago, in the early 70s, I recall a Ford Pinto our family had. It burned about a quart every 1000 miles. The dealer pulled out a Service Bulletin that showed that 600 miles or more to the quart was acceptable before warranty action.

My old 99 1/2 GMT800 2500 6.0L (1st year LS engine) would puff a little cloud out on cold start after it got 50,000 miles on it. It rarely took a quart between the 5000 mile oil changes, but it got low. That truck was still going strong at 225,000 miles when I sold it. Today, it belongs to a friend and he has close to 300,000 miles on it. The engine hasn't changed it's rate of oil consumption. Mobil 1 from the 1st change. I run M1 in my new truck and the 2008 I had in between.

Some awesome info! I am used to burning a little bit of oil in my KTM, but this truck is my first new vehicle so I was concerned to see buddy's truck start using a little. Mine has not yet, who knows if it ever will. Also, I have warranty for another 4 years which is great.

Thanks Again!

Edited by davevinc1080

I just cannot endure oil burning engines. Too old fashioned I reckon, when none of my vehicles ever used oil. My '93 Dakota 3.9 V6 with over 200,000 miles still does not use any oil! None. I loved those 350 GM engines! My '96 got almost 20 mpg highway. Other than the notorious intake manifold gasket mess with those years, they were rock solid. I wish GM would just make those again. I imagine my '96 350 hooked up to a modern transmission would get over 20 mpg highway.

I had a '90 GMC 350 TBI that would use about half a quart between changes every 3000 miles. Old tired motor that I pushed hard every single day.

I still have my '99 OBS 4x4 and it used a quart every 3000 miles like clockwork up to rebuild. Rebuilt as a 383 with a torque minded cam (high lift, low duration). Broke in properly, still uses at least a quart every 3000 miles. But it is/was used as a truck (hauling, towing, farm truck things) up until a year ago when it got "retired". It just sits around mostly now.

I had a 2005 Silverado L33 5.3 "H.O." I bought used, so I can't say how it was broken in. I used Castrol 10w 30 in it. Daily driver and work/play truck. Used a quart every 3000-4500 miles.

Almost every V8 pickup of every make I've been around uses 1/2 quart to 2 quarts every 3000-5000 miles. By design, engines will burn oil as oil will cling to cylinder walls during combustion events and exhaust events, lubricate hot parts and either burn or evaporate (coke) off, etc etc.

And don't get me started on diesels...

I check the level when I'm ready to change, and every time so far not a drop used. I change right around the 5,000 mile mark when the oil life is about 30%. I have close to 25,000 mile now. I've only WOT for a few seconds maybe a handful of times in those miles. I don't have a catch can yet. Do I need one, maybe, maybe not. But plan on one anyway.

For what it's worth, I think my rings are seated very well. I have a very steep long hill I decend every morning. From new, I always put the truck in 2nd and just let it hold the truck back all the way down. Never have to worry about anyone behind me because it's rural and 4:30 AM No traffic. I think that played a big part in breaking this engine in properly. I hope so anyway. :)

• 1 month later...

I had a '99 2500 Silverado with a 6.0L and it used a little over a quart of oil every 3,000 miles or so since the day it was new. The dealer told me that was acceptable. When I traded it in on my '14 1500 Silverado with a 5.3L it had 176,000 miles on it and burned exactly the same amount of oil as new. My '14 has 21,000 miles on it and it doesn't burn any oil at all.

I have 30k on my 14. No burning oil. What I have noticed is that if I park the truck in the garage (level floor) and shut it off and check the oil it looks like 1/2qt low. If I let the truck sit for 15-20 minutes go back and check it..... at the FULL mark. Something is holding oil in the upper end. I thought I was burning oil. Just need to give it 15-20 minutes to settle. I've never had to add any oil in between oil changes so far. I had the dealer do the 1st and 2nd oil change and then I have done a change on M1 and Valvoline Synpower. All 0w-20 full syn. I'm due for a oil change in about 3 weeks which will put me at 31-32k. Planning on running more 0w-20 Synpower and a M1 filter. I've been running all AC filters except one was a P1. I'm sticking with AC or M1 for a filter. Champ labs.

Edited by FL335i

15 minute sit time is SOP for checking the oil. OM may call for it. Nothing holding up the oil, just takes awhile to work its way down and all parts to drain their oil coating. I would still advise a catch can to keep as much oil as possible out of the intake/rings and to slow valve caking on the new DI engines. New Camaro will come with a GM designed catch can. Hope they have the oil burn and AFM lifter problems finally fixed in the newer trucks.

• Like 2