2014+ Intakes (CAI) & Air Filters

If the airaid systems have the rubber seal on top, then it seals against the hood once it is shut. I know the K&N systems are like this and work really well at pulling in cooler fresh air. I'm waiting for the K&N to come out. I used to sell all sorts of air intakes and K&N was always my go to. Volants are a nice system too! VaraRam might come out with something. I used their system on my G8 and was a tru ram air setup. Worked awesome!

• Like 1

So I installed the Volant. Open the box, everything packed nicely. Look over directions, not to bad, all black and white and not to much detail. Go through what should be included in the box. I see one thing, only one breather hose. Double check and nope just one long one. I remove the factory system and start install on the Volant. You have to unscrew the filter mounting cup to get the filter out of the intake box before you can start to mountinh the box to the chassis, they don't mention this. Trust me you can't get the filter out without removing the filter mounting cup.... I tried, way to long lol. I see they want to save on shipping space. The holes for mounting located on the bottom of the air box don't line up perfectly, but I get it to work. Pretty simple. Now install the tube, its ok the airaid tube lines up better but it works. Breather hoses needed to be cut by me, and they don't tell you the lengths to cut so you need to eyeball it. Don't cut to short or you'll have kinks in the breather hose. Would of been nice of them to tell you lengths to cut. Install the filter to the filter cup, that was a pain in the ass. I finally used some WD40 to help it slide on. The lid for the box doesn't line up perfectly, but whatever. Over all the fit and finish could be better. They had long enough time to developed a perfect fitting product but they fell short. The filter is nice, heavy, and appears to be of good quality. It sounds good, and produces a mellow, deeper sound then other cone type filters. All in all I like the sound better then the airaid, but airaid def spent more time on fit and finish then Volant did. Quieter sound is what I was going for and the volant with the Donaldson filter accomplished that.

Now what I didn't like compared to the airaid kit. Airaid supplied you with factory OEM breather hose connections, volant does not. Airaid had precut breather hoses and clamps, Volant did not. Airiad directions were more detailed and precisely written, volant not so much.

What I did like was a sealed box, less obnoxious sound, and higher quality filter.

Overall the both have their pro's and con's but I will stick with the volant just because the sound is not as obtrusive within the cab.

Tapatalk via Moto X

Edited by anthony2558

Good review... Yes.. I forgot to mention the thing about the filter and removing the mounting cup first. Don't know why instructions didn't say this.. but I guess after fooling around with it for 10 min, we figured it out.

Instructions need to revised to include this.. and also the thing about cutting the breather hoses.

• Like 1

I just found this on the K&N site:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=63-3082

Looks like a nice solid gain. Great dyno comparison. Can't wait to see something for the 6.2L!

It'll prolly fit the 6.2L. Or be really damn close. Looks like a nice unit though.

Edited by fondupot

Thanks guys. Good info. The instructions lists 15" and 11.5" breather hoses in the kit. So this is supplied as one hose which should be cut to (presumably) those lengths? Thanks again for the reviews.

http://www.volant.com/3dkls/iddb/Tfile/FILE/Instructions/Trucks/15000_Chevy/INS.15553.pdf

Edited by legierk

If those numbers are apples to apples testing with no fudging then that's good. I can't handle the sound though..... sounds like no low flying birds are safe within a half mile of the vehicle.

I typically try to go for an enclosed/sealed air box unit that gets no air from the engine compartment, that is as quiet as possible. Most times I will mod the stock air box with larger fresh air intake holes and change out factory tube from air box to throttle body with something much smoother flowing than the stock intake muffler that comes on these things. I will mod this one within the next week or so, time permitting.

I just installed an Injen cold air intake for my truck. Very easy to install open top but draws from the fender well. The difference in sound from stock to this is night and day when you get on it but it's not abnoxious. Dry filter no oiling and when I read their dyno test they had the highest gains I've seen and if you look closely it's around 90 degrees when they did the dyno. I have not dynoed it but I notice a huge difference in acceleration and response. Best part it was on sale for $240.

Are you guys disconnecting your battery before you install your CAI? I didn't .. maybe that is why my fans came on unexpected. I see where they say to disconnect the battery on the Airaid instruction, but just thought that was just a precaution. Until I read the Volant instructions.. they say do it so the computer can reset or re learn.

Anyway.. I did return the Airaid .. sound was a little too much, in addition I just couldn't get used to the open air design. I really feel like there needs to be cover over it.. even though the hood of the truck serves as a lid.

Just ordered a Volant ... which looks real sweet. We'll see how that goes.

I think a previous poster nailed your issue right on the head by saying that you probably had AC/Defroster on when truck started. I wouldn't put a hole lot of time into worrying about it. You could spend that time much wiser by doing more mods.