Trucks are so expensive

New high end trucks are high end sport performance vehicles, and priced that way and should be. You can get a very nice work truck today at a comparable priced to any truck of the past, with way more bang for the buck.

I bought my first new vehicle 17 years ago, it was a '97 Chevy W/T, V6, 2wd, regular cab, short box (crank windows lol). For options it had AC, a cassette player, chrome wheels, rear slider, drop-in bedliner. Price was 17k OTD. I just sold it last month. It was the best new truck I could afford at the time, I wanted a 4x4 extended cab but no way could I afford it back then.

Had many other vehicles before and after I bought that truck, all used.

Just now am I able to afford that new 4x4 CC that I always wanted, so I finally bought it. Long time coming! 40k OTD for this one, but it's a way, way nicer truck than the '97 ever was, so I figure I got a bargain!

• Like 2

My previous vehicle was a 2012 F-150 Platinum with a sticker price of $52,000. After two years of ownership, I realized that I didn't use a lot of the features that came with the truck. It was nice having some of them, but not absolutely necessary. I got just about everything I really need with my 2014 LT and paid $33,000 for it.

Sent via Samsung Note II

My previous vehicle was a 2012 F-150 Platinum with a sticker price of $52,000. After two years of ownership, I realized that I didn't use a lot of the features that came with the truck. It was nice having some of them, but not absolutely necessary. I got just about everything I really need with my 2014 LT and paid $33,000 for it. Sent via Samsung Note II

Why did you trade it in?

Why did you trade it in?

Honestly, just cutting expenses. My new payment is $200/month lower than what I was paying for my Platinum. It wasn't a Ford vs. Chevy thing either, I really liked my F-150 but I didn't want to trade it in on a 2014 F-150 lower trim model since the redesigned 2015 is coming out later this year and I really couldn't wait that long to cut costs, so this was the best option.

At 56 years old I just purchased my first brand new vehicle. I love this truck and I love the warrenty I have never had. Each time I needed a new vehicle I would get sticker shock and end up looking around and finding a 2 or 3 year old vehicle that I felt was more affordable. I now have a paid for house and no kids living at home anymore and felt that the new technology and appeal of the new chevy's was worth it. Young kids think they should be able to go out and buy the newest vehicle out there and complain because they are so expensive. That is what gets them in a lot of trouble! I know the kids in my age group had no problems driving rust buckets and enjoying them!

• Like 1

Back in the day buying old stuff was a no brainer, they were easy to work on. I took the heads off a car when I was seventeen, good old small block. Takes a lot more know how these days.

Back in the day buying old stuff was a no brainer, they were easy to work on. I took the heads off a car when I was seventeen, good old small block. Takes a lot more know how these days.

How true! I open the hood of my new truck and just say "Yup thats an engine" and close it!

My LS probably has less features than a modern WT! And although I've yet to sit in a stripped out K2, the gmt900's were of less overall quality than their predecessors imo. They looked nicer but in reality weren't.

The K2's do seem a lot better so the prices do sound more logical and sound. But I still wouldn't want to spend over 40k for a truck, there are funner machines I would prefer at that price. And for me a truck isnt much about luxury or high performance, kind of like how a ranch horse should be a jack of all trades and relatively low maintenance while taking anything you can throw at it anytime anywhere.

And if you paid out the nose for a 2014 I certainly hope you enjoy the heck out of it!

And at this point in my life I'm needing a truck less and less so if I continue to have one it'll mainly be due to wanting one and sentimental attachment. As long as I live in this continent I'll do what I can to keep my current truck, even if just for seldom use every now and then.

Edited by white1500

Yesterday I looked at a new 2015 HD2500 Silverado with Duramax/ Allison. It was a crew cab 4x4 version, standard bed, LTZ trim. The sticker price was just under $ 61k. I paid $ 58k for my first house in 1988. Brand new 3 bedroom, 2 car garage house on a 1/3 acre fenced lot in San Antonio, TX.

a lot of it is guys wanting the LTZ or the denali because they feel they have to keep up with their neighbors, buddies, or guys at work, when reality at least half can not truely afford it.. LTs can still be had for low 40s and below pretty well equipped and probably twice as equipped as trucks 5-10 years ago. I bought my LT loaded for the most part for 43 sticker, paid 37. Would have went straight LT 4x4 and even the 5.3 with the stanfard package truck would have easilt been 35k or less.

• Like 1

Yesterday I looked at a new 2015 HD2500 Silverado with Duramax/ Allison. It was a crew cab 4x4 version, standard bed, LTZ trim. The sticker price was just under $ 61k. I paid $ 58k for my first house in 1988. Brand new 3 bedroom, 2 car garage house on a 1/3 acre fenced lot in San Antonio, TX.

OK, prices go up. My father bought a 69 Mustang Mach 1 for under $4k and a house for $15k in an 1969. My 2013 Harley Breakout was more than my parent's house + that Mustang (in 1969). Then again, my salary now would have been extremely rare in 1969 as well. Prices of all commodities have gone up, along with taxes, utilities, etc. The traditional trades of old hardly cut it anymore. I would love to be a barber and shoot the crap all day, can't afford to, so I do what I do now, lol. I'll be a barber when I retire.

• Like 1