Trucks are so expensive

Is it just me, or does everyone here have a $50,000 plus truck. I have looked and most if not all the trucks here are up level trucks. GM has priced all us middle of the road guys out. I have a 2011 LT and to get a comparable truck, it is like $45,000 plus. Ten thousand dollars in 3 years holy crap. I refuse to pay $500 a month for a truck. So it looks like I have to buy another brand or buy used. It just stinks us poor guys can't join in the fun of these new trucks.

Is it just me, or does everyone here have a $50,000 plus truck. I have looked and most if not all the trucks here are up level trucks. GM has priced all us middle of the road guys out. I have a 2011 LT and to get a comparable truck, it is like $45,000 plus. Ten thousand dollars in 3 years holy crap. I refuse to pay $500 a month for a truck. So it looks like I have to buy another brand or buy used. It just stinks us poor guys can't join in the fun of these new trucks.

I feel your pain! Trucks are not cheap now a days unless you get a real stripper - no options. You might want to wait for Chevy's offers or rebates coming up usually in the spring - April on. The only other way is to select less options etc. Otherwise the prices are high.

Edited by PMattras

The name of the game is don't buy what you can't afford. I have an Sierra SLE the sticker on it was $37,000. Do I want a Denali? You bet I do. However when I looked at what they were going for and what I could afford to pay I bought this one. It's the 3rd SLE I have had by the way and it was bought before the current incentives which are really good now compared to when I got mine. This truck does what I need it to do and is a lot better than my 2009 was.

The prices are very high on these truck these trucks but you have to be smart about buying a new truck.. Look for a leftover.. Don't buy a truck when a new body style comes out. I got well over 10k off sticker on the last brand new trucks I purchased

On the flip side, I believe this is part of the reason why the resale value of trucks is so high. I would have been happy to purchase a 2 or 3 year old truck but in my area, they are selling for almost the same amount people paid for them. I spent a long time going back and forth before I gave in and purchased a new truck. But if used trucks were priced closer to what I think they are worth, it probably would have been a different story.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Look for packages, its true about end of the month or year end deals do a little research. My 40K truck cost me 31K drive out. But I don't like leather or some of the fancy stuff that drives them up. Adapted cruise control and lane departure would drive me nuts. Look on line at your local dealer make note of trucks they don't sell for what ever reason, they will deal those. It has to do with floor plan and interest. I trade a lot every two years mostly so I had to learn to buy smart to fed my addiction ( Dark Passenger my wife calls it ). I never am upside down when I trade so its kinda like leasing. Every once in a while I keep one longer if I put a lot of mods in. Now if you really want that Denali wait till the end of the year, my local dealer had thirteen of them on Dec. 31, 15k off. , I went with the Texas package 14 year model the price was to good to pass up.

Edited by KARNUT

There are a lot of great deals out there. The V6 All Star you can pick up cheap but it has lots of options. Shop around...there are nice trucks out there well under $40k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Supply vs. Demand it is that simple. The more people buy, the higher the price will go.

When I first started my truck hunt a few months back I walked into the GM dealer and was chatting with a salesman that my girlfriends dad has known for quite a few years and the way he spoke about it made perfect sense.

5 years ago if you would have went into the GM dealer this long after the new models were released you would have seen 8, 9 maybe even 10k in saving and insentives on trucks already booked at 30-35k. Fast forward to now and your seeing what? $7-8k? on the same trucks based at $48-52k and people are still buying. Aside from the low sales numbers that GM has been releasing they are certainly still selling an absurd number of vehicles, and believe it or not, there are still people who go to a dealer, pay msrp out the door without a hassle, and go on their way. Its crazy, but as long as that continues prices will continue to rise.

He even went as far as to say that by the time GM does their next full generation make over you may see those base model trucks selling at that $45-48k target price which bumps your high end trucks even higher than they are now. I reailze that is a lot to speculate but in reality it is certainly a possibility.

I was also not in the market for a $45,000 + vehicle so I held out for one with a $39k sticker price + incentives. If you really shop around, not just local sales lots but really put some effort into finding a deal you can make out pretty good right now. I managed to get the 4x4, black interior, double cab, with bedliner and mudflaps out the door for $34,000.

That's why my truck is a 99. I have an 04 grand am that I use for highway miles, the truck is just for a 2nd vehicle and for when I really need a truck like hauling and towing. I bought my truck about a month ago and paid $2500 for it. Spent some more money on new tires, shocks and getting some front suspension components replaced to make it drive better. Yes, it has some rust, interior has seen better days, etc. I couldn't even imagine spending 20 K on a truck, much less 40 K or more. Could I have spent more and got a nicer truck, sure I could have. This truck is nice enough for what I'll use it for and for the amount of miles I will put on it a year, probably 5000 or less.

Edited by greg74