What did you do to your "other" car (aka musclecar) today

RyanbabZ71

On 8/31/2020 at 9:12 AM, Jsdirt said:

I do is kick myself in the ass for a month afterwards for getting rid of my '72 El Camino. I'll never live that one down ... ? 

F24-AA7-BC-0-F34-4041-BB6-A-B7-EC07-EFC2

Nothing money can't fix.

This one is nice......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274472453540

I've always been a fan of the El camino.

A buddy had a 69 with a 396 and it would roast the tires on demand.

He also had a 1960 he made into a lifted 4 wheel drive. It was pretty cool. This was back in the eighties when guys were putting Vega bodys on Bronco frames. And station wagons on pickup frames.

1780c4c8892d442db8197cfa9a27a35c.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 5

All my money is tied up in my Silverado, yet again! Lost 3rd and 4th in the transmission at 103k miles. 6k miles after the rear differential sheared a few teeth off the spiders, and was all worn out and sloppy at just 97k.

Instead of buying this toilet, I'd have been MUCH better off spending $30-large on an El Camino like that, no question about it.

There was a Ranchero around here that was on a truck frame. It was a terrible job, though - I remember seeing it sit on this car dealer's lot for YEARS. It was hideous. They built their own frame for it. It resembled construction staging, only using angle iron, LOL. I saw that thing recently in someone's driveway in the city, so it's still out there. Never saw it on the road, though.

Edited by Jsdirt

All my money is tied up in my Silverado, yet again! Lost 3rd and 4th in the transmission at 103k miles. 6k miles after the rear differential sheared a few teeth off the spiders, and was all worn out and sloppy at just 97k.

Instead of buying this toilet, I'd have been MUCH better off spending $30-large on an El Camino like that, no question about it.

There was a Ranchero around here that was on a truck frame. It was a terrible job, though - I remember seeing it sit on this car dealer's lot for YEARS. It was hideous. They built their own frame for it. It resembled construction staging, only using angle iron, LOL. I saw that thing recently in someone's driveway in the city, so it's still out there. Never saw it on the road, though.
4L60? I just got mine rebuilt for $1900, but it made it to 218k. Surprised yours died so quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, same trans.. I'm not surprised at all. Every problem I've had with this truck since day 1 has been due to GM cheaping out on parts. Every single part of my truck is low-bidder GARBAGE. I'm actually surprised it made it to 103k, to be honest.

You still have that GMT-800 in your signature? Hang onto that, if so! Those trucks regularly make it well over 200k without major driveline issues. From '07 up with the GMT-900, the quality of EVERYTHING goes several notches downward. I would imagine the newer models are even worse than this now. The earlier GMT-400 was one of the  most reliable platforms GM has ever built. I see those (the ones that survived the road salt baths, anyway) well over 300k, and still driving. The drivelines on those were very under-stressed and well engineered, and built. I changed the OE universal joints after they failed on my '94 K1500 at 222k miles! Original ball joints and hub bearings also made it deep into the 200k range. Sold that truck with 266k on it. Some teenager bought it, and I saw it around that town for 2 years afterwards. Those days are long gone now ...

Engines used to be off-limits to the cheapout game, but not anymore. Look at all the 2011 -up Equinoxes (and others) getting parted out due to blown engines already. My 5.3 VIN "0" engine has the AFM crap top end in it, that's bound to fail any day now. Only reason it's still running is because I've had a Range device plugged into the DLC for the past 30k+ miles. That has kept those junk lifters alive. That still leaves the walking #2 cam bearing, cheap piston rings that break, the poorly engineered .06 cent o-ring that fails in the oil pump, the garbage valve springs that break, and the leak-prone VLOM, among other crappy parts.

I could rant all day long about this stuff. I just put Bilstein shocks and struts in a '13 Ram 1500 - took me a day and a half!! Rusted out strut bolts, and piss-poor engineered top shock nut location on those slowed me WAY down. I had to chop my grandfather's old SK angled box-end 13/16" wrench to hold that top nut from spinning. Can't get a socket in there, since the frame weld angles the socket,\ upward, so you'll strip it (God help you if that happens - you'd have to remove the bed to repair it!!). Can't get a normal box-end wrench in, since it's 4" at the larger end from the center of the bolt to the bottom of the bed! Even less room straight up and down. Plus, the nut is recessed inside a steel box reinforcement. A stubby might work, if it's short enough. NIGHTMARE!! 

15 hours ago, NotoriousGT350 said:

What kind of times in the T/A? She's hooking!!!

right around 11.0 @ 116

Still stock block & tune. Basically just headers, lid, MSD coils, 150 shot, 4k stall, built trans, suspension work & weight loss.

• Like 2

Nothing money can't fix.
This one is nice......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274472453540

I've always been a fan of the El camino.
A buddy had a 69 with a 396 and it would roast the tires on demand.
He also had a 1960 he made into a lifted 4 wheel drive. It was pretty cool. This was back in the eighties when guys were putting Vega bodys on Bronco frames. And station wagons on pickup frames.
1780c4c8892d442db8197cfa9a27a35c.jpg.8fab92018ff4fbe544e43cf9dddfd21f.jpg
I also had a buddy in high school that took a 68 Chev K10 and used a frame from another K 10 and stacked the frames on top of each other for a low buck lift . 38" Gumbo Monster Mudders. It weighed 30 tons and got stuck everywhere it went. I was a P.O.S. and looked like it was built by dumb asses.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragonsys said:

right around 11.0 @ 116

Still stock block & tune. Basically just headers, lid, MSD coils, 150 shot, 4k stall, built trans, suspension work & weight loss.

That would be great race with mine....but it needs to loose some weight and my tune is about 12yrs old?

1 hour ago, Dragonsys said:

right around 11.0 @ 116

Wow, I was WAY off! Still no slouch, though. Must be a blast on the street. ?

• Like 1

Tesla's are getting more interesting for my area. Tulsa is getting a service center as a consolation prize for selling out trying to get the factory. Seeing the cost lists for they guys with hundreds of thousands of miles, and seeing the complimentary out of warranty repairs is confidence inspiring. 

It's Hilarious California is wanting to ban gas cars when the grid's not good enough to handle the summer. So adding a few million cars to charge every day should go smoothly. 

An FYI: Valvoline recently reformulated(or retested) their Maxlife ATF. They claim it works for nearly every transmission now(except CVTs) I Just put some(4 qts) in my wife's CX5 which had a one off fluid, (FZ), seems to be no difference at all, and Mazda acts like it is a picky transmission. (NEVER do a flush, only use FZ)

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

5 hours ago, SnakeEyeSS said:

It's Hilarious California is wanting to ban gas cars when the grid's not good enough to handle the summer. So adding a few million cars to charge every day should go smoothly. 

Few million? Lot more than that in 15 years. California population will be near 50 million in 2035. 

They can't put out fires . How do they plan on charging all these cars with rolling blackouts? 

" Um , boss, I can't come to work today because my power is out and my tesla has a dead battery".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Few million? Lot more than that in 15 years. California population will be near 50 million in 2035. 

They can't put out fires . How do they plan on charging all these cars with rolling blackouts? 

" Um , boss, I can't come to work today because my power is out and my tesla has a dead battery".

I was using different math: Not at the rate its burning and people are fleeing.

• Like 1