What did you do to your "other" car (aka musclecar) today

RyanbabZ71

Safety recall on the CX-5 due to DRL failure.

I went in months ago, and they told me it was a 3 hours job. 3 hours later they say I can pick it up, I get the car back and it wasn't done because they didn't have the parts. I call randomly over the months, first few times the parts are delayed due to Covid, then "Mazda has put a hold on the recall" the last few times.

So I try a different tactic, call the parts department this time. They have the parts, I say Thanks, and they guy asks "Don't you want to know the price?" 

I said no, it's for the recall, and he says "oh these are just for collision." I tell him it's a safety recall and he says oh well I'll transfer you to service so you can make an appointment. Service puts me on hold comes back and says I just talked to the parts guy we don't have any parts for the recall Mazda's put it on hold. 

So I emailed Mazda corporate told him once a going on they thought that maybe parts were being held for someone else that's in line in front of me for the recall. I told them they offered to sell me the parts. so apparently Mazda corporate's going to start an investigation to see what's going on, there's no hold on the recall, the only thing that can hold it up is if the dealer doesn't have the parts

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

So I'm on my way to get new tires, and  another car is coming(rural road), I move over to the right a little more, and would you believe it, overgrown grass is hiding the fact that the road abruptly ends and there's a jagged drop off. 

I got a flat on my way to get new tires. 

I actually had an extra new wheel in the trunk because I hit a big pot hole while back and I figured it bent the wheel. I told the guys at discount tire about it and they come back and they say  two are bent, one was worse so that's the one we replaced. For some strange reason they put the other bent wheel on the front. ?

There happens to be a wheel repair guy not too far so I take my currently free bent one over there. He looks at it and seems surprised that it's supposedly bent, with no visible damage. He told me he's got a full schedule today so he'll be able to get it done tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get it swapped out tomorrow

Flushed the cooling system in my lumina.  was going to replace the thermostat but then saw that I have to take off the front exhaust manifold to get to the bolts and said screw it.  hopefully the thermostat holds out for however much longer I keep the beater. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, some NICE stuff there! Wish I lived down there. All my buddies that own hot rods have had them all put away for a month now. We've already had 4" of snow, and  mountains of corrosive, car-eating road salt dumped all over the place because people don't know how to drive anymore without their hand being held ... but I digress ...

Finished the transmission job on my Silverado. WHAT .... A .... F#@!*ing ... NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!! Before I do that job again, I'd rather sit through a root canal on EVERY one of my teeth. I'm dead serious too!! My burning hatred for GM and their engineers is on a level never before seen ...? When the torches come out, sh!& in the shop just got real ... Took a combined 11 days to get this done!!! I used to do tranny swaps on the side of the road laying on my back in HOURS!!! Boy, sadly those days are LONG friggin gone. What a friggin horror show!!!

Anyway ... Installed a Performabuilt Heavy Hauler, with 5-pinion planets, Beast sunshell, Sonnax Smart Tech drum, & FTI lockup 2k stall converter. Hopefully the last transmission I'll ever need. Still has the second gear clunk that developed at 2k miles a decade and change ago, so I'm figuring my transfer case should take a dump soon. Engine will be after that. Batting 1,000 with this toilet ... I want to supercharge it some day, but I'll need to replace the rest of the driveline first. So far, the rear end and transmission failed - only 2 more components to go ... ?

2-A9-E2660-9-F05-4411-8-DA3-3-BBB92-D78-

F4-B03693-BBE3-4-C7-B-8622-4045-AA612-BE

09-F79523-726-D-4-C22-B54-D-F2-B6360-C7-

2-FA0-D3-F1-1855-42-C5-A620-0-EDCF0-FF9-

CEA12-C2-C-1-E99-4-ACC-8-BC3-E237-E33-B1

Tried!! Nobody wanted it when it was immaculate and 50k on the clock. I couldn't give it away. Spent a month on eBay with nothing but ultra-lowball offers. Even back then people knew to stay away from these trucks, especially used. Been stuck with it since.

Made the plan back then that I was going to just built the systems myself as they failed to something GM could never match quality wise. So far the diff and tranny are better than ever. Now, just the engine and transfer case. That should be it for big-ticket expenses on this s#!%box, aside from paint and body work. I'll probably end up doing that myself with a rattle can. Don't much care what it looks like - just need it to do what it's SUPPOSED to do. Been striving for that since day 1 ...

• 2 weeks later...

Did some detailing, Gas stabilizer and put on the Battery Tenders. Then put them on the bunkbeds and covered them up for winter hibernation -especially with the snow & salt staring to fly! 

337314418_Z06Z28inthegarage2.jpg.8daf8c4be749abf7110c233116a56cab.jpg1915152246_Z06Z28detail2020two.jpg.01aaff22f09d4d61621c5cfb6d40271d.jpg526059248_Z06Z28rack2020.jpg.b6ad3c485aa74f9307191346f525b70d.jpg

• Like 1

BEAUTIFUL cars, man! Yeah, neither of those has any business being in snow. I'd imagine those tires would provide ZERO control, lol. Besides the fact they'd be rotted away to nothing in 6 years flat.

Took our '86 Grand Marquis off the road over a month ago. We had that freak 4" snowstorm on Halloween. Salt trucks were out in force.

23 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

BEAUTIFUL cars, man! Yeah, neither of those has any business being in snow. I'd imagine those tires would provide ZERO control, lol. Besides the fact they'd be rotted away to nothing in 6 years flat.

Took our '86 Grand Marquis off the road over a month ago. We had that freak 4" snowstorm on Halloween. Salt trucks were out in force.

Thanks!

The Grand Marquis brings back memories of my 78, it was bright green, green & green leather. It was huge and rode like a dream -by 86 they had shrunk a little right!

• Like 1

Yeah, they had cheaped out on them pretty bad by that point compared to stuff from the 60's to 70's. Sad part is, this '86 is 10x the vehicle of any car or truck sold today in terms of quality. This thing not only has the original 35 year old driveline at 274k miles, but even the electric in-tank fuel pump, too! No smoke at startup, either. Next month we'll have owned this one for 18 years.

9-DA7-F6-D2-93-DC-48-AA-BE38-8-CB931-B5-

Edited by Jsdirt

• 4 weeks later...

Last week started correcting the paint (was gritty after almost 3 years now) finished the roof, trunk and passenger side so far

Strip wash, clay mitt, polish, Adams Graphene Coating

7bcbd36601f0dee725f31101674e0ff4.jpgabcdd7d0f9a75b259532768487fbdf0f.jpg06f70905aaf46312e8b62e234c4cbdd4.jpg24db64e307779f605a88068490538fd4.jpg27b471db3af1d1826a4b1f41722959a0.jpg005c7320e3c739ec0a4c0f66305cd987.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Looks great!! Those days are done for me. I just can't bring myself to put in the effort anymore. Of course, I don't really own anything worth that kind of effort, besides the Grand Marquis. :)