Installed Borla/GM cat-back Exhaust System

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone recently installed this exhaust? I just received mine and the "exhaust bypass" looks like this. It certainly looks different the the other ones in this thread. I emailed Borla but have not received a response. I'm just wondering if I received the correct part or Borla has changed it for some reason. Thanks for any assistance. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

What was the manufacture date on the outside of your GM Borla box? How do you like it so far? I was looking to order the GM borla from shopchevyparts.com, but wasn't sure if i would get the old version or the new version.

I think I kept the flap off the box and see if that information is there. I'll check tonight and let you know. The exhaust in V8 mode sounds great. I would agree from an earlier post that said they did not like the low speed V4 sound. It sounds bad to me inside the truck but my wife doesn't notice it. I have not listened to the truck go by so it may not sound that bad. I just purchased a range device so I can eliminate the V4 all together. I do like it from a stop and accelerating. It quiets down nicely on the highway. I do not know how it compares to the other bypass model as I have never heard that one before. Hopefully that helps.

I think I kept the flap off the box and see if that information is there. I'll check tonight and let you know. The exhaust in V8 mode sounds great. I would agree from an earlier post that said they did not like the low speed V4 sound. It sounds bad to me inside the truck but my wife doesn't notice it. I have not listened to the truck go by so it may not sound that bad. I just purchased a range device so I can eliminate the V4 all together. I do like it from a stop and accelerating. It quiets down nicely on the highway. I do not know how it compares to the other bypass model as I have never heard that one before. Hopefully that helps.

I am surprised the v4 sounds bad even with the flapper valve. I mean the stock exhaust v4 wasn't the best either but if you paid extra for the gm version I would think it would be acceptable sounding. I have the range AFM but it made my mpg go down by 1.5 mpg.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There are 3 systems from BORLA available. The systems "GM Borla" offers are the touring series which is the quietest of the 3 systems with their AFM valve attached. Its a lot of extra money for that little valve.

Check out the videos BORLA just posted - http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/198416-video-borla-exhaust-for-2014-2017-chevy-silverado-53l/

Also check out the BORLA Group Buy, best price by far - http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/199077-borla-catback-exhaust-group-buy-ends-331/

I am surprised the v4 sounds bad even with the flapper valve. I mean the stock exhaust v4 wasn't the best either but if you paid extra for the gm version I would think it would be acceptable sounding. I have the range AFM but it made my mpg go down by 1.5 mpg.

Like the other poster said most people would not even notice but I noticed it. I cannot say that it sounds BAD in V4 with the GM Borla with flapper it just changes the exhaust note and makes it noticeable (annoying) to me when it kicks in and out at low speed. I never realized how much the truck ran in V4 at very low speed before the exhaust was installed. Just idling along on my dead end street at 10-20 mph it would kick in and out. More of an issue with the AFM than the exhaust I think.

If Gm were to think about this I believe they would factory set the AFM to ONLY be active above a certain speed (I suggest 50mph) the AFM causes a lot of stupid feeling transmission shifts and non shifts at low speed it just seems to confuse the transmission.......... plus with an aftermarket exhaust it annoys some owners.

Priced the GM Borla today from my buddy that works in the parts department at my local dealership. $1300 CAD ($973 USD) with tips. Good deal or no? Need some opinions whether to order this tomorrow or go with a different brand. Looking for something that is slightly more aggressive then stock and no drone.

• 3 months later...

Just google "install silverado borla at home" lol and this thread came up!

Got this sitting in my garage, got here other day :)

post-173644-0-15577000-1499281105_thumb.jpg

How long did install take you? I do not have a lift though, so will be on my back...

• 2 months later...

Just out of sheer curiosity...could one purchase the Borla Touring muffler and just swap it out with the stock muffler? That way you are keeping your PEV system to eliminate the drone but getting a little more of a Borla sound?

• 3 weeks later...
Just google "install silverado borla at home" lol and this thread came up!

Got this sitting in my garage, got here other day [emoji4]

How long did install take you? I do not have a lift though, so will be on my back...
It took me about 1.5 hours without a lift by myself. How did it turn out?

Just out of sheer curiosity...could one purchase the Borla Touring muffler and just swap it out with the stock muffler? That way you are keeping your PEV system to eliminate the drone but getting a little more of a Borla sound?

https://www.borla.com/products/heavy_duty_truck__275_centercenter_24x_775_round_notched__specialty_muffler_part__401158.html

Archived