Bilstein shocks thread

Just now, TheGreatOne said:

What are the specs on tires and wheels?.....any rubbing? 

20x9 - 0 offset Black Rhino wheels

275/60-20 BFG K02's

The tires just barely touch the felt liner at full lock, very very minimal.  As soon as it stops raining I'm going to hop under it and zip tie the liner.  Should be all set after that.  Zero offset gives the UCA's plenty of clearance.

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, KTM794 said:

After reading through 135 pages and entirely too many "where are the 6112's?"....I pulled the trigger on 5100's and installed on the 3rd setting and I'm very happy with the results.  I was hesitant of the highest setting, as I wanted a little bit of rake, and a slightly better ride (even if it's probably just psychological).

I ended up yielding 1.75" on the 3rd setting.  Perfect amount in my opinion. Truck looks damn near level to the eye.

Honestly in terms of ride quality, I can hardly tell any difference from stock on small sharp bumps cracks.  However just as everyone has claimed, the truck feels way more planted on larger hits/uneven roads.  Way less body roll and dive under braking.  And best of all, no more wallowing boat-like feel.

Wheels and Tires being installed as we speak.  Big thanks to this thread.

IMG_5185.jpg

I don't think there is a shock out there that will eliminate the quick "thud" or "clump clump" feel of expansion joints an other similar road imperfections.

After-all, we do drive trucks. One of the best ways to reduce this is by airing down on tire PSI.

Great looking Sierra btw :thumbs:

Question : is the ride quality on the top setting any different than on the bottom setting?

The only things I can find are people who don't own them saying that they "heard" it was stiffer. Doesn't make sense to me because the adjustments are extending the shock, not limiting down travel.

Input?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CH15GMC said:

Got my 6112's today...ordered them 6/28 of last year. Excited to get them on but it will have to wait until next week. They are huge! Doing 5100 in the rear.

Resized_20190415_133005.jpeg

Holy hell! They ARE real! This must be what it feels like to finally lay eyes the holy grail. Thank you sir. Looking forward to your review

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 12:01 PM, Grinnen said:

For the 5100s, to get my front level should I use the highest setting on the shock? Or is it a better idea to get a small 2" leveling kit?

•  

The top setting. The leveling kit will limit travel. If you need a bit more height over what the 5100s offer, use the 5100s on the top setting in conjunction with a spacer that mounts under the shock, not ontop.

6 hours ago, Grinnen said:

Question : is the ride quality on the top setting any different than on the bottom setting?

The only things I can find are people who don't own them saying that they "heard" it was stiffer. Doesn't make sense to me because the adjustments are extending the shock, not limiting down travel.

Input?

Bilstein designed these shocks to lift the vehicle and expect most people to use the upper lift settings when installing the shock, so the optimal range is real dialed in on the upper end. Personally I think they ride best on the top setting on the 14-18 1500s, the bottom setting seems too floaty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grinnen said:

Does the setting on high or low change its dampening characteristics? Or does it just change the stiffness when you're driving for a sportier feel?

No. The springs are linear, so all the height setting does is change the spring length and vehicle height while adding a bit of pre-load to the spring. Youll notice its slightly firmer on the top setting compared to the bottom, but this does not mean its a harsh ride by any means, and comfort wise is a massive improvement over stock.

• Like 1