Bilstein shocks thread

19 minutes ago, MBSierra17 said:

The spring is under the exact same compression as oem length with vehicle weight on it. The spring does not become stiffer or softer just because you started with it a little more compressed. The snap ring changes the full extension of the spring, but does not change compression forces at all. 

A spring by nature becomes harder to compress the more you compress it because of the potential energy that is being built up.  Therefore if it starts out in a more compressed state, it's reaction force is greater and compressing it further also becomes more difficult.  The spring is more compressed because the bottom perch moves higher up the shock body, but the top mount does not change.  Therefore the spring is compressed which contributes to the lifting of the truck by pushing down on the shock body. The higher you raise the lower perch, the more energy the spring has.  In addition to lifting the truck, it will make the ride a little stiffer.  But Bilstien accounts for this somewhat in how they valve the shocks for each make/model truck.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

A spring by nature becomes harder to compress the more you compress it because of the potential energy that is being built up.  Therefore if it starts out in a more compressed state, it's reaction force is greater and compressing it further also becomes more difficult.  The spring is more compressed because the bottom perch moves higher up the shock body, but the top mount does not change.  Therefore the spring is compressed which contributes to the lifting of the truck by pushing down on the shock body. The higher you raise the lower perch, the more energy the spring has.  In addition to lifting the truck, it will make the ride a little stiffer.  But Bilstien accounts for this somewhat in how they valve the shocks for each make/model truck.

Well said sir!

13 minutes ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

A spring by nature becomes harder to compress the more you compress it because of the potential energy that is being built up.  Therefore if it starts out in a more compressed state, it's reaction force is greater and compressing it further also becomes more difficult.  The spring is more compressed because the bottom perch moves higher up the shock body, but the top mount does not change.  Therefore the spring is compressed which contributes to the lifting of the truck by pushing down on the shock body.

Everything you just said is true when the weight of the vehicle is off the strut. The problem is that you're not compressing it further... 

Once you add the vehicle weight, it becomes the new thing restricting the spring. It's simple physics. Hooke's law states Force (vehicle weight) = k(spring constant) * x (spring displacement). Since the spring didn't change, and the weight didn't change... The displacement could not have changed. 

Edited by MBSierra17

Let's assume that the relaxed length of the spring is 13", and when on a stock truck, it compresses to 11" in the strut assembly down to 7" with vehicle weight. 

With bilstein 5100, the strut assembly may only be at 9.15" (11-1.85 raised from the bottom), but the vehicle weight will still only further compress the spring to the exact same 7" with weight. Hence, modified ride height, exact same spring rate. 

Please note these numbers are arbitrarily chosen. 

Edited by MBSierra17

Still wrong... 
Why is it that my truck rides nothing like all here who say it rides smooth?could it be that they have more weight? Crew vs double? Mine are set at the top setting for max lift and rides like a brick. Sure its more stable until you get into the turns. Really wish I spent the extra coin and got kings instead of following this thread man. If money wasnt being put towards an investment I'd give these away for free.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Why is it that my truck rides nothing like all here who say it rides smooth?could it be that they have more weight? Crew vs double? Mine are set at the top setting for max lift and rides like a brick. Sure its more stable until you get into the turns. Really wish I spent the extra coin and got kings instead of following this thread man. If money wasnt being put towards an investment I'd give these away for free.

What is your tire pressure PSI ?

Anything over about 35 regardless of lift or level and the truck will ride like a brick.

8 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

I'm not suggesting it should ride like butter, I'm only saying that it isn't the preload.

Full coilovers will have similar effects I suspect, but the springs and shocks on those are so much better that you'll more than make up the difference from it. 

Edited by MBSierra17
  • Like 1

What is your tire pressure PSI ?
Anything over about 35 regardless of lift or level and the truck will ride like a brick.
Kept it at 32 then 35 and now 40. Ko2s 17in tried my neighbors 18s p rated still like a brick.

2014-18 GM 1500 Bilstein Options & GM Trucks Forum Discount
Use code GMTRUCKS for forum discount

Bilstein 4600 Front Shock - 24-238281
Bilstein 4600 Rear Shock - 24-238298

Bilstein 5100 Front Shock - 24-238304
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock 0-1" - 33-238319
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock 3-4" - 24-186636
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock 5-7" - 33-187228

Bilstein 5160 Rear 0-2" - 25-242515
Bilstein 5160 Rear 1-3" - 25-187601
Bilstein 5160 Rear 3-5" - 25-197761

Bilstein 6112 Front Pair - 47-273702

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:10 PM, CH15GMC said:

Got my 6112's today...ordered them 6/28 of last year. Excited to get them on but it will have to wait until next week. They are huge! Doing 5100 in the rear.

Resized_20190415_133005.jpeg

Have you installed these yet?

• Like 1

Any added spacers or just the max 5100 groove?
40 is way too much air. Better MPGS yes, but ride.... No.
No spacers just maxed out. The ride didnt change much from the other 3 psi settings. Sucks man. They are better then stock sure but I had bils before on other vehicles and nothing like this

47 minutes ago, MBSierra17 said:

Everything you just said is true when the weight of the vehicle is off the strut. The problem is that you're not compressing it further... 

Once you add the vehicle weight, it becomes the new thing restricting the spring. It's simple physics. Hooke's law states Force (vehicle weight) = k(spring constant) * x (spring displacement). Since the spring didn't change, and the weight didn't change... The displacement could not have changed. 

The weight of the vehicle when added to the new setup further compresses a spring that is already further compressed than it's OEM setting.  Further compressing an already compressed spring is more difficult to do which means it won't compress as much by the vehicle weight as it would if it were at it's stock setting.  Therefore the reactionary force from the spring is greater under this pre-loaded (or pre-compressed) state which is what helps provide the lift to the front end.