Bilstein shocks thread

Added picture of the wheel/tire setup. I love how they look. They have a textured finish that is almost impossible to get dirty. Just rinse them off and they are good to go. I wanted something other than the normal fuel wheel setup most people have. 

IMG_6755.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, z71skywalker said:

Added picture of the wheel/tire setup. I love how they look. They have a textured finish that is almost impossible to get dirty. Just rinse them off and they are good to go. I wanted something other than the normal fuel wheel setup most people have. 

IMG_6755.jpg

Great write-up and pics. Thanks. I've been researching different options on leveling + wheels and tire sizes. It looks like you have the stamped UCA's. Any issues with rubbing or flex with wheels on? I was looking for a Midnight Edition with a 6.2L and they were tough to find. I ended up going with a High Country with 6.2L. All over the place on wheels since I have the Iridescent Pearl Tricoat. Black is easy. I'm was thinking of doing the Bilsteins and upgrading the UCA's. Ready Lift has the level kit with tubular UCA and I was contemplating doing that and adding the Bilsteins 5100.  Not sure if that's overkill. The spacers would give me a hair more lift. I'm thinking 275/60/20 or even dropping down to 17" rim and 285/70/17. Ride quality is important to me. Nice looking truck. 

On 4/24/2019 at 1:19 PM, Battle Born Offroad said:

We do for $120 with new KYB mounts.

I just want to be clear that you're talking about a set of preassembled 6112s with new KYB mounts ready to be bolted in place? Meaning I don't need to disassemble the factory coilover at all beyond removing it as a unit? Thanks.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, Silverado-Hareek said:

Correct the orientation shouldn't matter from a performance standpoint.  But the reason they suggest boot down is to protect the main shock body from damage as it houses the guts of the shock.  Also, if any dirt or moisture were to get on the piston, it would flow away from the seal where the piston enters the main shock body rather than settle around the seal.  I'm not sure if it makes a major difference as Bilstein sells shocks that go in either direction, but technically the 5100's are intended to be installed boot down and for these reasons which is to protect the shock and make it last longer.  Do with that info what you will.

Not to argue as this is a personal opinion and to each their own, but....  look at most all factory shocks.

They are Body down, boot or cover up. Including the factory GM Rancho branded Tenneco shocks that come on Z71s. Body down with plastic cover over the shaft at top.

And how many truck owners actually take them off road anyway?

27 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Not to argue as this is a personal opinion and to each their own, but....  look at most all factory shocks.

They are Body down, boot or cover up. Including the factory GM Rancho branded Tenneco shocks that come on Z71s. Body down with plastic cover over the shaft at top.

And how many truck owners actually take them off road anyway?

I considered this when deciding what to do with mine.  After a lot of research, I found opinions going both ways.  I also found that there are many after market shocks with a boot down design/orientation.  Ultimately, I decided to go with Bilstein's recommendation on the orientation which was further supported by the mechanic that installed them for me.  Additionally, the boots on the 5100's have drainage holes in them so when oriented with the boot down, the drainage holes are at the very bottom allowing for any moisture to flow out of the boot.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Like 1

I considered this when deciding what to do with mine.  After a lot of research, I found opinions going both ways.  I also found that there are many after market shocks with a boot down design/orientation.  Ultimately, I decided to go with Bilstein's recommendation on the orientation which was further supported by the mechanic that installed them for me.  Additionally, the boots on the 5100's have drainage holes in them so when oriented with the boot down, the drainage holes are at the very bottom allowing for any moisture to flow out of the boot.

I was going to say bilstien did recommend in writing boot down. Not sure why they stated a different over the phone. Maybe it's a new salesperson or something. 

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 2:40 PM, Red_5 said:

I just want to be clear that you're talking about a set of preassembled 6112s with new KYB mounts ready to be bolted in place? Meaning I don't need to disassemble the factory coilover at all beyond removing it as a unit? Thanks.

Correct, that $120 includes assembling the shocks and any necessary hardware we need to do so

• Like 1

Just wanted to post that I received my Bilstein 6112's from Battle Born Offroad yesterday afternoon (drop shipped direct by UPS from Bilstein).  i didn't have any tracking info, so it was a nice surprise.  Ordered them around March 29th.  I'm hoping to do the install this weekend if I can find the time and I'll post my impressions.  They look crazy stout, can't wait to feel them in action!

• Thanks 2

I plan to install the 6112's on my truck this week. My truck is/was equipped with the magnaride shocks, so I had to purchase aftermarket top mounts because the OE top mounts were too narrow for the shafts on new Bilsteins. I just received the KYB top hats and they don't seem to fit the Bilstein springs flush or snug. There's quite a bit of play between the upper spring seat and the spring. I'm concerned that when the spring becomes compressed around the new top mount, there's not enough of a brim on the top mount to keep the spring compressed or in place. Is this amount of play between the top mount and spring common? Or should I be concerned?

20190430_203510.jpg

Edited by Randys Denali

On 4/25/2019 at 2:46 PM, Battle Born Offroad said:

2014-18 GM 1500 Bilstein Options & GM Trucks Forum Discount
Use code GMTRUCKS for forum discount

Bilstein 4600 Front Shock - 24-238281
Bilstein 4600 Rear Shock - 24-238298

Bilstein 5100 Front Shock - 24-238304
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock 0-1" - 33-238319
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock 3-4" - 24-186636
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock 5-7" - 33-187228

Bilstein 5160 Rear 0-2" - 25-242515
Bilstein 5160 Rear 1-3" - 25-187601
Bilstein 5160 Rear 3-5" - 25-197761

Bilstein 6112 Front Pair - 47-273702

Tried to order from your site and emailed no response to requests.