Bilstein shocks thread

On 4/2/2019 at 1:47 PM, quickstang1 said:

Anybody have a shop recommendation in Northwest Houston? I would love to get rid of this crap Rancho suspension on my Z71 and get the 6112’s.

Difference between 6112 and 5100

https://www.shocksurplus.com/pages/bilstein-6112-or-5100-shocks-know-before-you-buy

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2015 at 4:18 AM, Spurshot said:

First, the 6112 is not available for the gm truck yet.

All 6112 models back in stock - orders from last year shipping first, direct from Bilstein. 150 units +/- are up for grabs

07-13 GM 1500 - http://mrtmotorsports.net/bilstein-shock-sets/bilstein-6112/47244641/i-7474058.aspx
14-18 GM 1500 - http://mrtmotorsports.net/bilstein-shock-sets/bilstein-6112/47273702/i-7474057.aspx

8 hours ago, z71skywalker said:

Gentlemen,

I will be installing the 5100's tomorrow at the highest setting. I have 20x9.5 wheels -18 offset on 305/55/20's. I can't imagine it doesn't rub like hell. Wish me luck.

Please post pics...really interested in seeing.....thanks.

• Like 1

So I have "skimmed" through these 134 pages looking for the answer to one question that I am sure is here but cannot find.

I have a set of 5100's with springs set at stock height that I want to install. Will I have to separate any ball joints, tie rods, sway bar, etc.? 

I am under the assumption that getting the truck up on jack stands, removing the tires and putting the floor jack under the lower ball joint - 5 bolts (3 upper/ 2 lower) and I'm in and out with these.

So I have "skimmed" through these 134 pages looking for the answer to one question that I am sure is here but cannot find.

I have a set of 5100's with springs set at stock height that I want to install. Will I have to separate any ball joints, tie rods, sway bar, etc.? 

I am under the assumption that getting the truck up on jack stands, removing the tires and putting the floor jack under the lower ball joint - 5 bolts (3 upper/ 2 lower) and I'm in and out with these.

When I did mine I had to remove the sway bar end links and also separate the upper ball joints to get the originals out and the new ones in.

Mine were set to stock height and I swapped the factory springs onto the new shocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, nitro882 said:

When I did mine I had to remove the sway bar end links and also separate the upper ball joints to get the originals out and the new ones in.

Mine were set to stock height and I swapped the factory springs onto the new shocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After the wheels are off you need to take out 2-10mm bolts that hold your brake line and abs line to the knuckle/uca. Then you're gonna have to remove sway bar end links on both sides to get the lower a-arms to drop. That should get you enough room.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, huntr1117 said:

After the wheels are off you need to take out 2-10mm bolts that hold your brake line and abs line to the knuckle/uca. Then you're gonna have to remove sway bar end links on both sides to get the lower a-arms to drop. That should get you enough room.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I can live with that, thanks

For my 2014 just had to remove sway bar end links. Used a small atv jack to push the lower shock mount up onto the bottom arm as it was about 1/2" longer.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

On 4/5/2019 at 3:38 PM, z71skywalker said:

Gentlemen,

I will be installing the 5100's tomorrow at the highest setting. I have 20x9.5 wheels -18 offset on 305/55/20's. I can't imagine it doesn't rub like hell. Wish me luck.

Any pics of how it came out?

1 minute ago, dmorrisL86 said:

Anyone receive or install 6112’s on their K2 yet? I am interested in a set but would like someone to be the guinea pig lol. 

I ordered mine first thing in the morning on 3/28 after seeing that they were in-stock and still don't have them.  I was curious if anyone has received theirs yet as well.