Bilstein shocks thread

What bump stops are you all referring to?  The bump stops I'm aware of are on the control arms, not the shock itself.  Unless there's an OEM stop there that comes off the old shock and gets installed on the replacement Bilstein shock piston rod, but the bilsteins did not come with any type of bump stop.  With that being said, based on the geometry of what is taking place when you level your truck and how bilstein's work,  raising your front end would only lower the likliehood of the bump stop making contact with anything, not increase it.  The worst condition would be the stock setup where the shock itself is more compressed and travel distance it can sustain is at it's lowest and the springs have no pre-load and therefore have less resistance to being compressed.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

There is one under the shock boot, on the piston. I don't have a picture, but a few posts back you can almost see it but it's under that rubber sleeve.  

As Yondu says, & it is the one off the OEM shock that gets re-used.

As stated, the higher the setting the less compressed that bump stop will be but still seems like it would be affecting performance of shocks.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

If there is another one on the control arm, there shouldn't be any risk of bottoming out the shock/strut.  I'll look the next time I have the wheel off.  
Nothing but metal to metal if need be on mine. Sorta looks like there should of been a rubber bump stop but the idea was deleted at the factory.3ae8bfa4fda6e2931a4be8ffa40a94fc.jpg

2 hours ago, Snowcamo said:
14 hours ago, FlipZ71 said:

20190130_105248.thumb.jpg.3061bc39b0161b3991f47fb953561934.jpg

I must say... Very nice bro! Might I ask how the lower bjs are holding up? I been eyeing that brand in particular for lowers in the future.

Thanks...   I found about a week ago my lower ball joints are fried...   the uppers are good....  I suppose it's time for them to start getting lose... 74,000 miles , lifted heavy tires ..... 

Truck drives a straight line ...   but between my last tire rotations notice some tire wear. Went in for alignment check and found lower  BJ on both sides were worn. 

Prolly will be replacing them next week. I'm waiting for my driver side output shaft to come in....  hopefully next week. ...  I had been hearing a growl from the front diff..   turns out it is the out put shaft bearing...  I got the bearing and seal... just waiting on gm for the shaft....

Luckily I found it at same time as the ball joints since I can do it all at once ....  

Thanks...   I found about a week ago my lower ball joints are fried...   the uppers are good....  I suppose it's time for them to start getting lose... 74,000 miles , lifted heavy tires ..... 
Truck drives a straight line ...   but between my last tire rotations notice some tire wear. Went in for alignment check and found lower  BJ on both sides were worn. 
  Prolly will be replacing them next week. I'm waiting for my driver side output shaft to come in....  hopefully next week. ...  I had been hearing a growl from the front diff..   turns out it is the out put shaft bearing...  I got the bearing and seal... just waiting on gm for the shaft....
  Luckily I found it at same time as the ball joints since I can do it all at once ....  
Right on man! 74k with mods done is darn good!

Nothing but metal to metal if need be on mine. Sorta looks like there should of been a rubber bump stop but the idea was deleted at the factory.3ae8bfa4fda6e2931a4be8ffa40a94fc.jpg
That contact looks like it would be for the suspension topping out when airborne not bottoming out on landing.

That contact looks like it would be for the suspension topping out when airborne not bottoming out on landing.

True looks like the only one is on the strut itself. It'd be nice to have more travel out of these, but not if damaging the strut is possible.