Bilstein shocks thread

I've had my 2018 LTZ Z71 for about a month and a half now.  It's been a bitter sweet start to the relationship.  Unfortunately, I had the dreaded "TCC Shudder".  Thankfully that was remedied last week with the new fluid change procedure.  The other issue I was having was the incredibly stiff suspension.  This isn't my first Z71, so I was familiar with the stock Rancho's that come on these trucks.  However, the Rancho's that came on my truck seemed incredibly stiff.  Small cracks in the road would lead to heavy "bangs" in the front end and a general uneasiness in the rear.  A few times the rear of the truck even seemed to come off the ground!  I couldn't take it anymore, so with 1,700 miles I switched to Bilstein 5100's in both the front and rear.  I don't plan on leveling my truck with the front shocks, but I hated the color of the 4600's, so I spent a little extra for the 5100's.  All I can say is night and day difference.  I am so impressed with the Bilstein's.  The truck drives so much smoother.  Yes, you still feel bumps in the road, but the 5100's take all the harshness out of them.  The truck feels so much more planted.  The rear feels like you are carrying 500lbs of cargo.  Except there's nothing there!  If it has ever crossed your mind that your Silverado 1500 seems to be stiff and uneasy over rough roads, you really should try these shocks.  You will not be disappointed.  

• Like 4

I just bought a 2018 Sierra 1500 with the tow package. It rides harsh and stiff, no surprise. I almost wanted to take it back after a few days of driving it.

I feel every nook and cranny in the road, but other than that the truck drives nice. The feeling that I may get launched into orbit is disconcerting,and I feel exhausted after taking a road trip in it.

So Bilstein 5100 are the answer to the stiff bouncy ride eh? Any offer models known to smooth the ride out considerably?

The Bilstein 5100's offer a much smoother and more comfortable ride.  Like I said though, you still feel the bumps in the road.  However, there is much less of an "impact".  Your dash won't sound  like someone is hitting it with a  sledgehammer when you drive over cracks or uneven pavement.  I found the biggest improvement is in the rear end.  It doesn't feel jumpy or unsettled anymore.  It has a much more planted feel to it.  I'm sure there are more plush shocks you could put on than the 5100's.  I was looking for a good combination of stiffness and comfort.  For my personal preferences, the 5100's fit the bill perfectly.

I just bought a 2018 Sierra 1500 with the tow package. It rides harsh and stiff, no surprise. I almost wanted to take it back after a few days of driving it.

I feel every nook and cranny in the road, but other than that the truck drives nice. The feeling that I may get launched into orbit is disconcerting,and I feel exhausted after taking a road trip in it.

So Bilstein 5100 are the answer to the stiff bouncy ride eh? Any offer models known to smooth the ride out considerably?

I felt the same when I got my 2016. Then I put a leer 100xl truck cap on. It weighs a couple hundred pounds. It's like a new truck with the extra weight back there. Now it rides pretty smooth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, aaronarf said:

HAHAHA.

I think I posted this same meme about a year ago already...

post-166683-0-17375300-1506532619.jpg

I saw threads from 2014 stating they should be out soon.  ?

They have recently released on the gmt900s and 15+ Tahoes though.  

On 2/17/2019 at 12:13 AM, Grinnen said:

A little late to respond, but I also have the max tow package on my '18.  The shocks seemed too bouncy and not well controlled.  I switched to the 5100s and it was a night and day transformation.  It is a little firmer, but not in a bad way.  The ride is not harsh, but very very controlled.  The truck reacts to changing environments much faster and smoother. Definitely worth the upgrade.  I think I only had a few thousand miles on mine when I changed them out.  Still have the OE shocks sitting in my garage.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I'm ready for an upgrade.40ed8c03de1fd3a94e4090a281635f18.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   Typical Rancho  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   :loser: