Bilstein shocks thread

When I installed my 5100s on the highest setting my toe was all out of wack.  I later installed a 1/4" spacer under the strut to get a little more lift and tow changed again but it was barley outside the factory range.  I got it aligned to bring it back within spec.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 11:12 PM, Yondu said:

They have been coming soon for 5 years.  We have had a part number for like 6 months, IIRC.  I called Bilstein a few days ago and they said very soon. 

Minds will be blown if/when they actually come out 

Did Bilstein offer any specifics or did they just say "very soon"?

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:05 PM, bhales said:

so what am i missing about this part number for the 6112:D:smash:other than the fact no one seems to have ever had them instock. i went over some railroad tracks today and i thought i was gonna die the ranchos SUCK. 

image.png.a2c32628f82b79c280859dd9814fe369.png

Ahhh, the infamous Bilstein 6112 shocks for our 2014 and up K2's

You will have better luck trapping a Sasquatch or sitting down to dinner with an Alien !

Most of us gave up on the 6112's years ago since their first reported introduction back in 2015.

Yes, Ranchos SUCK on railroad crossings and potholes. 

Funny thing is, the 6112's are currently in stock for 2015 and up Tahoes and Yukons.
Many wonder if you can just order a set for the Tahoe/ Yukon and bolt them up to our K2s......
The GM parts sites list Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon as fitment for the same spring & strut part numbers so wouldn't aftermarket be the same situation?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

On 3/4/2019 at 3:31 PM, BbyDgital said:

Did Bilstein offer any specifics or did they just say "very soon"?

When I pressed for more information he said should be within the next few months, keep checking our site.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the Tahoe Yukon and Silverado Sierra are. It's very interesting they would release the SUV parts first as I would think there's more of a demand for the trucks.

At the price the Tahoe / Yukon 6112s are I would have expected a threaded body for adjustment on the truck & a decent top mount, not re-using the stock rubber stuff.

The point was, the aren't being used as a stopper, it's already sitting on them.  
Going back to this bump stop situation, did you find anything else in this regard?

I had about 2" of travel showing between the shock & bump stop when it was assembled but no weight on it. I don't know how much the truck compresses this but I doubt there is much stroke left before the bump stop is contacted.

This might be part of the problem with the OEM shocks, allowing the suspension to bottom out easily & bounce off the bump stops.

I will try to see if I can check the gap to bump stop with the truck on the ground.

Ok, after typing the above, curiosity got the better of me. I cannot get the dust boot out of the way enough for a photo but it absolutely feels like the bump stop is sitting on top of the shock body & I can't move it up with my fingers.

Next step will be to take the weight off & see how much the suspension compresses with the truck weight.

If this setup really is allowing the bump stop to be partially compressed most of the time that seems very strange.

8 hours ago, Mozzer said:

Ok, after typing the above, curiosity got the better of me. I cannot get the dust boot out of the way enough for a photo but it absolutely feels like the bump stop is sitting on top of the shock body & I can't move it up with my fingers.

Next step will be to take the weight off & see how much the suspension compresses with the truck weight.

If this setup really is allowing the bump stop to be partially compressed most of the time that seems very strange.

Mine is the same way.  I can't imagine it's any different stock, but I never checked.  

Does this all suggest that they would ride better at 2nd or 3rd height setting rather than the first? 
Mine is at 2nd stop, but yes that would make sense.

My guess is stock shock is most likely worse as it has softer damping so compressing bump stop more when hitting a bump in the road.