Bilstein shocks thread

With the leer truck cap on my truck which weighs probably 250 lbs, I only have about an 1 1/2 of rake. If I do the 5100s with the first ring up from stock that should be about 3/4 of level right? I want to leave a little rake for when I tow my camper it's still pretty level.

When you level the front up will you need an alignment? Will that change the angle of the front drive shafts and make more wear on CV joints?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

With the leer truck cap on my truck which weighs probably 250 lbs, I only have about an 1 1/2 of rake. If I do the 5100s with the first ring up from stock that should be about 3/4 of level right? I want to leave a little rake for when I tow my camper it's still pretty level.

When you level the front up will you need an alignment? Will that change the angle of the front drive shafts and make more wear on CV joints?

Shouldn't have any cv wear issues however you'll wear out the edges of your front tires in a month if you don't get an alignment.

so what am i missing about this part number for the 6112:D:smash:other than the fact no one seems to have ever had them instock. i went over some railroad tracks today and i thought i was gonna die the ranchos SUCK. 

image.png.a2c32628f82b79c280859dd9814fe369.png

Edited by bhales

So is the 5100s with a higher than stock height basically accomplishing the same thing as the cheap spacers that go under the lower strut mount?

Is this 5100 method better than the spacer that goes on top of the strut?

So is the 5100s with a higher than stock height basically accomplishing the same thing as the cheap spacers that go under the lower strut mount?

Is this 5100 method better than the spacer that goes on top of the strut?

Pretty much but spacers aren't good for anything but aesthetics. So yea 5100 are the better option of the two.

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Removing and reinstalling the front struts on these trucks will not change anything that would require an alignment, but the fact your front is higher will change the geometry.  

With that said, I went up 1.25" and the alignment shop said everything was within spec and no alignment needed.  Your mileage may vary 

1 hour ago, bhales said:

so what am i missing about this part number for the 6112:D:smash:other than the fact no one seems to have ever had them instock. i went over some railroad tracks today and i thought i was gonna die the ranchos SUCK. 

image.png.a2c32628f82b79c280859dd9814fe369.png

They have been coming soon for 5 years.  We have had a part number for like 6 months, IIRC.  I called Bilstein a few days ago and they said very soon. 

Minds will be blown if/when they actually come out 

Removing and reinstalling the front struts on these trucks will not change anything that would require an alignment, but the fact your front is higher will change the geometry.  

With that said, I went up 1.25" and the alignment shop said everything was within spec and no alignment needed.  Your mileage may vary 
Shall i show you my brand new ko2s when my truck gets out the shop? Wasn't just saying that because everyone else is...

2 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:
9 minutes ago, Yondu said:

Shall i show you my brand new ko2s when my truck gets out the shop? Wasn't just saying that because everyone else is...

Shall I show you the printout of my alignment from when I brought the truck in after installing the 5100s showing the truck was spot on?

Your truck needed an alignment, mine didn't.  

Shall I show you the printout of my alignment from when I brought the truck in after installing the 5100s showing the truck was spot on?

My tires wore perfect before the 5100s. yeah post it up. It be cool to see... So I'm with the crowd who say get an alignment. Even if it ends up not needing it at least the notion possibly saved someone what at least $450 in front tires. Hey I like helping others by not making the same mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:
7 minutes ago, Yondu said:

My tires wore perfect before the 5100s. yeah post it up. It be cool to see... So I'm with the crowd who say get an alignment. Even if it ends up not needing it at least the notion possibly saved someone what at least $450 in front tires. Hey I like helping others by not making the same mistakes.

Obviously you should get it checked, I did. That's how I know it was fine.  

Removing the front strut assembly and reinstalling it will not change anything on these trucks that will require an alignment. This is not my opinion.  But if you change the height of the truck then it could need some tweaking as it's IRS and the camber will change based on ride height.  Like I said. Changing the height will change the geometry. And also like I said, my truck didn't need an alignment but your mileage may vary.  

Thanks for the advice. When I did a torsion bar lift on my Colorado way back in the day to add two inches I had to go to three different shops to find one that would do a front end alignment. Nobody wanted to touch it as soon as I told them I had modified the truck. If I do the 5100s with some lift I would definitely get it checked. If I only go up one notch on the front 5100s it won't be that much higher. Maybe it will wear some of the noise out of my Duratacs....ok probably not.