45,000 Mile Major Service - Really Needed?

I'm ready for my 45,000 mile service. But I'm wondering if its all really needed. It will be an expensive service if everything GM suggests is performed...probably around $750.

The 45k service calls for:

-Oil change and filter.

-Cabin air filter replacement.

-Engine air filter replacement. (Looks clean to me...)

-Transmission fluid change.

-Transfer case fluid change.

-Brake fluid change.

-Evap system inspect.

I'm ready for my 45,000 mile service. But I'm wondering if its all really needed. It will be an expensive service if everything GM suggests is performed...probably around $750.

-Oil change and filter.

-Brake fluid change.

-Evap system inspect.

these are all easily done in a home garage in a couple of hours.

-Oil change and filter.

-Brake fluid change.

-Evap system inspect.

Good God....do not pay the Stealer to have all that done.

At least do the first (3) things yourself. They are super easy.

The rest are doable yourself, or cheaper at a reputable non-Stealer shop.

Thats all pretty normal stuff that mileage. I would do all of it, of course not at the dealer. As others have said, most, if not all, of it is easily DIY. I think 45K is a lot of miles for some of those things, mainly the trans and transfer case oil. I would do that maybe every 20k just to be sure it stays fresh. But thats just me.

If you plan on owning the truck long term these are things that you really want to keep on top of to prolong the life of the components. I don't care what the manual says, the manual is written by GM who is in the business of selling vehicles.

• Like 1

-Oil change and filter.

-Brake fluid change.

-Evap system inspect.

Dont waste your money,

check cabin filter replace as needed, oil+ filter when due. air filter not if you say its clean.

No reason to change tranny fluid, brake fluid or transfer case.

I checked online yesterday at O'Reilly for the cabin air filter and the Wix version is $25! No telling what the dealer wants for it. 8.5 quarts of oil at $6 a quart is going to run $54. I haven't priced one for the Silverado yet but for my wife's Maxima it was $12. An air filter is probably $20 or more. Trans fluid and filter is probably $50 to $75 or more. Just to do those things there it going to be close to $200. I am good with putting the remains of the dealership would charge in my pocket.

Dont waste your money,

check cabin filter replace as needed, oil+ filter when due. air filter not if you say its clean.

No reason to change tranny fluid, brake fluid or transfer case.

I come from an Automotive back ground and specifically driveline, you sir are way off base. Transmission fluid service intervals are actually recommended every 30K. Transfer case and rear axle are 30-45K depending on usage. Brake fluid is usually past its moisture point by 50K miles but can be much earlier depending on your location and driving environment.

• Like 2

I come from an Automotive back ground and specifically driveline, you sir are way off base. Transmission fluid service intervals are actually recommended every 30K. Transfer case and rear axle are 30-45K depending on usage. Brake fluid is usually past its moisture point by 50K miles but can be much earlier depending on your location and driving environment.

Changing transmission fluid on an automatic transmission less than 2 years old under 50,000 miles yes you are wasting your money sorry to say. And 2 years on brake fluid? again not needed in daily driven vehicle. You can change your oil every 200 miles too if you want to waste your money.

Good lord. It's posts like these that will keep me from buying anything used. The manual is there for a reason. Follow it.

Like most said, you can do the first three yourself. And you should if they are due.

The transmission fluid and filter appears to be a job. You have to drop the y-pipe to get the pan down enough to clear the filter. And yes this needs to be done at this interval if you live in a city. I'm close to doing this myself and priced everything. It's at least $160 in parts and Dexron VI. Called my dealer in Houston and they quoted me $279 for this tranny service, so I'm probably gonna pay up for that one.

Transfer case fluid is easy to do yourself. Research it online.

My manual says brake fluid is not due for replacement until 150k miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. So don't do that yet.

Inspect evap system. I don't really know what all I need to inspect, so I'll ask the dealer to look it over if it don't cost too much. In all honesty, if something goes wrong with this system, you will know because your truck will start throwing codes. Wait for that to happen.

• Like 2

I checked online yesterday at O'Reilly for the cabin air filter and the Wix version is $25! No telling what the dealer wants for it. 8.5 quarts of oil at $6 a quart is going to run $54. I haven't priced one for the Silverado yet but for my wife's Maxima it was $12. An air filter is probably $20 or more. Trans fluid and filter is probably $50 to $75 or more. Just to do those things there it going to be close to $200. I am good with putting the remains of the dealership would charge in my pocket.

I'm not sure what your dealers are charging for oil changes, but I just had to have my 5th one done, which was the first oil change I had to pay for. The dealer charged $59 for the oil change but always has a $10 off coupon on their website, which makes oil changes $49 out the door. If my dealer is going to do an oil change for $50 on these trucks, then its hard to justify doing it myself.

I would do the oil change, at least check the engine and cabin air filters and replace if necessary. There is no reason to change the brake fluid yet. The tranny and TC fluid are debatable. How hard do you drive your truck?

• Like 1