Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Newest catch can from RXP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that’s James...really good guy. I guess it’s like anything. If I’d have waited then I’d probably have that one. With my set-up I still pull vacuum at WOT. I run (if you look at my can) the dirty air into the center and then the clean air out to the intake. The other one goes to the passenger side of the bat-wing (the one he has plugged in the video) for WOT. I elected to go that route vs drilling into the bat-wing just in front of the throttle body...not optimal but very functional. I will tap and drill AFTER warranty! This way I can go back to stock in minutes w/o anyone ever knowing. As for the CSS that goes into the old oil cap and then into the drivers side of the bat-wing, well even he said better than factory but the newest system is probably better but I can’t upgrade every time a newer version comes out. He will always return your call or answer if during normal times. 

• Like 1

Yep, that’s James...really good guy. I guess it’s like anything. If I’d have waited then I’d probably have that one. With my set-up I still pull vacuum at WOT. I run (if you look at my can) the dirty air into the center and then the clean air out to the intake. The other one goes to the passenger side of the bat-wing (the one he has plugged in the video) for WOT. I elected to go that route vs drilling into the bat-wing just in front of the throttle body...not optimal but very functional. I will tap and drill AFTER warranty! This way I can go back to stock in minutes w/o anyone ever knowing. As for the CSS that goes into the old oil cap and then into the drivers side of the bat-wing, well even he said better than factory but the newest system is probably better but I can’t upgrade every time a newer version comes out. He will always return your call or answer if during normal times. 

Ya, I’m still debating on doing it. My mechanic laughed and said I don’t need a catch can cause I do Amzoil every 3-4K and my lucas fuel treatment every tank

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Ya, I’m still debating on doing it. My mechanic laughed and said I don’t need a catch can cause I do Amzoil every 3-4K and my lucas fuel treatment every tank

Never going to try and persuade anyone, if you’re comfortable with your mechanic, take his advise. I would question the Lucas fuel treatment being a reason why a can is not needed? I know it’s supposed to be good for keeping the injectors clean but not sure how it would help with valve build-up since the fuel never sees the backside of the valves with the DI engines in our trucks. You know, it really seems to be a 50-50 split on pro-con with these things. I can tell you that if after 30K when I plan on bore-scoping my intake and look at things...if it’s nasty AFTER using a can, I’m gonna be a little ticked off. I’ve seen enough pictures of “coking” on DI engine intake valves to believe it does happen, that’s why VW an Audi have the walnut blasting to clean their valves. Either way, enjoy your ride! I’m heading to ?? land ?

Oh and FWIW...my Dr. told me I didn’t need a vasectomy...I really trusted that guy too...didn’t listen to him but I did trust him ?

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Hopefully that mechanic isn't the one selling you 3,000 mile Amsoil oil changes and the Lucas fuel treatment. That would be unethical. However if it's just something you do on your own? No problem.

I don't know if the advice would be unethical. With the vehicles I own, it runs all over the place with oil change recommendations. It goes from 3700 miles to 10,000 miles. Amsoil does make oil for frequent oil changes. Fuel system additives run all over as far as recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I don't know if the advice would be unethical. With the vehicles I own, it runs all over the place with oil change recommendations. It goes from 3700 miles to 10,000 miles. Amsoil does make oil for frequent oil changes. Fuel system additives run all over as far as recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes,  AMSOIL's OE line of oil is recommended for use per the manufactures recommendations.  At $6.80 a qt or for our trucks $26.55 a gallon retail pricing.  Two gallons cover an oil change.  No extra like you would  have with a 5qt container. 

• Like 2

Hopefully that mechanic isn't the one selling you 3,000 mile Amsoil oil changes and the Lucas fuel treatment. That would be unethical. However if it's just something you do on your own? No problem.

Nope, it’s my own. I buy new tires every year too. 2018 SLT CC 6.2, bought it in January. So far this year for the sake of testing I’ve started with stock then went to KO2’s and then Ridge Grapplers. I also changed my front and rear diff at first 3K and then at 10k. I’ve sold at least 5 vehicles to friends and family because they all know the proactive maintenance I do. My mechanics are friends that I’ve known for 30 years and will push me up front and most of the time refuse to charge me labor. Christmas is a good time of year for everyone [emoji6]

• Like 1

Yes,  AMSOIL's OE line of oil is recommended for use per the manufactures recommendations.  At $6.80 a qt or for our trucks $26.55 a gallon retail pricing.  Two gallons cover an oil change.  No extra like you would  have with a 5qt container. 

Iv gone 5K-25K on amsoil. And dealers we are.

35 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Nope, it’s my own. I buy new tires every year too. 2018 SLT CC 6.2, bought it in January. So far this year for the sake of testing I’ve started with stock then went to KO2’s and then Ridge Grapplers. I also changed my front and rear diff at first 3K and then at 10k. I’ve sold at least 5 vehicles to friends and family because they all know the proactive maintenance I do. My mechanics are friends that I’ve known for 30 years and will push me up front and most of the time refuse to charge me labor. Christmas is a good time of year for everyone emoji6.png

Do you think they (mechanic) would be willing to do a quick bore-scope and show you your intake valves, or maybe take pictures you could share? It may very well validate you not needing one due to frequent oil changes with a top tier oil OR maybe you will see what you may not want to see. I don't have enough miles on mine to even bother yet but based on your purchase date and tire replacement, maybe you have acquired enough to show some build-up or no build up? Just a thought!

Do you think they (mechanic) would be willing to do a quick bore-scope and show you your intake valves, or maybe take pictures you could share? It may very well validate you not needing one due to frequent oil changes with a top tier oil OR maybe you will see what you may not want to see. I don't have enough miles on mine to even bother yet but based on your purchase date and tire replacement, maybe you have acquired enough to show some build-up or no build up? Just a thought!

Don’t think it needs one, Truck has 12k on it now, they’ll make fun of me lol. In my early 20’s I’d have my Saleen mustangs valve covers taken off and inspected at a high performance oriented Ford Dealership.

Just now, TXGREEK said:

Don’t think it needs one, Truck has 12k on it now, they’ll make fun of me lol. In my early 20’s I’d have my Saleen mustangs valve covers taken off and inspected at a high performance oriented Ford Dealership.

Oh smack, thought you had closer to 20K...well whatever you decide as far as a can, keep us updated!

• Like 1

Having had an elite can on my 15 Z71 and now my 18 LT, it's fascinating how much they catch on these trucks compared to other vehicles. Honda and Subaru for example catch almost nothing over thousands of miles "the DI only variants so 86 excluded." Saw feedback on the Hellcat forums as I was casually looking at other brands running a can and they catch a good bit. Something I still can't find on any of these newer vehicles is people reporting issues from coking that don't run a can or do anything else to prevent it. The high mileage Chevys here report no issues, the Hellcat and Dodge guys that don't use them push over 100k with no issues. WRX and Honda people report no issues. Coking is certainly happening, one guy with a new Civic and no can did a scope at 20k miles and was shocked at what he saw. 

My biggest question that I can't find an answer to is why the coking isn't causing issues anymore like it did in the past. It's still happening but without problems. I'm sure some amount of power is being lost no doubt, but has that become the only consequence? I trade so often that it really doesn't effect me, I just enjoy modding so I have one, but I'd love to understand what has changed in newer DI only vehicles that they just power through the issue.

• Like 1

Having had an elite can on my 15 Z71 and now my 18 LT, it's fascinating how much they catch on these trucks compared to other vehicles. Honda and Subaru for example catch almost nothing over thousands of miles "the DI only variants so 86 excluded." Saw feedback on the Hellcat forums as I was casually looking at other brands running a can and they catch a good bit. Something I still can't find on any of these newer vehicles is people reporting issues from coking that don't run a can or do anything else to prevent it. The high mileage Chevys here report no issues, the Hellcat and Dodge guys that don't use them push over 100k with no issues. WRX and Honda people report no issues. Coking is certainly happening, one guy with a new Civic and no can did a scope at 20k miles and was shocked at what he saw. 

My biggest question that I can't find an answer to is why the coking isn't causing issues anymore like it did in the past. It's still happening but without problems. I'm sure some amount of power is being lost no doubt, but has that become the only consequence? I trade so often that it really doesn't effect me, I just enjoy modding so I have one, but I'd love to understand what has changed in newer DI only vehicles that they just power through the issue.

Great question! I’m assuming that because you trade often as I do that it wouldn’t be a big deal but I’m wondering about the aggressive maintenance I do if whether or not anything will be seen let’s say at 20k. Most other DI’s have duel injections, spraying top and bottom versus just single spraying into bottom.

My 2012 doesn't apply, but I put a can on it recently, peace of mind.

There are quite a few things that can effect coking and each case is not detailed enough to know what actually happened IMO.

Oil type, oil change intervals, quality fuel always etc.

:)

• Like 1

My 2012 doesn't apply, but I put a can on it recently, peace of mind.
There are quite a few things that can effect coking and each case is not detailed enough to know what actually happened IMO.
Oil type, oil change intervals, quality fuel always etc.
[emoji4]

I use only Amsoil or mobil 1 with synthetic filters every 3-4K miles, Super unleaded only being a 6.2, Lucas fuel treatment every tank cause you just don’t know where that gas station is getting their fuel from. If after I do the camera scope in approximately 7k additional miles and find buildup then I’ll take it to the shop and do the catch can but what if I add “sea foam” every 3 months too lol