Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

50 minutes ago, Dearmosd said:

Well some are believers and some are not but I just added an Elite Engineering catch can system and after 2500 miles I'm guessing 180-200 ml. Would one think that this normal/average amount a fresh engine could catch in 2500 miles? When I poured the contents out a good lump of something fell into the cup. Haven't investigative that lump but this definitely looks brown and creamy so......I am a believer in the catch can

catch can results @2500miles

catch can results @ 2500 miles1

Yes that’s normal/average. I’m a believer/user...mines a different brand (won’t use your post to plug my particular choice) but the top tier cans do a great job of removing that nasty stuff. Imagine that being sucked into your engine over and over and over...yuck!

• 8 months later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:54 AM, t_doggggg said:

2018 CHEVY SILVERADO 5.3L V8 ENGINE catch can needed?

Have you read any of the catch can threads?

The answer to your question is there is no answer. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, buy it. I could afford it and it made me happy, so I bought it.

16 hours ago, flyingfool said:

just run a boroscope down your intake manifold and look at the intake valves, that will answer your question

Yeah unfortunately that's a lot easier said than done...tried it, can't get a boroscope in there. 

On 10/19/2019 at 12:31 PM, flyingfool said:

prop open butterfly in tb, and run it down the through the manifold.. sometimes common sense is at a deficit in this country.. : )

Yeah, you can't just do that. Sorry to shatter your hopes and dreams:) Next!

But please do try...then take a picture...but that won't happen because the manifold, throttle body won't allow it. Then do a wheelie on your little motorcycle. Vroom vroom. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 3:37 PM, Mileguru said:

Have you read any of the catch can threads?

The answer to your question is there is no answer. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, buy it. I could afford it and it made me happy, so I bought it.

Agree 100%.....

I have around 1,600 miles on my 2017 5.3L since I installed the catch can...  It's done it's job, collected several ounces of oil.

I checked my vacuum line going from the can to the manifold, and that hose is bone dry, doesn't seem to be any oil in it, so the can is stopping and catching 99% of it.

I am using a $30 can from Amazon, and inside it has a small screw in inner chamber that I took out and packed with fine steel wool and put back in.  That forces the misty air to "breathe" through that steel wool, which causes the mist to form big droplets and filter down to the bottom of the can and not get sucked in with the air going to the manifold.  Cheap and surprised me how effective it is...

8 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

I have around 1,600 miles on my 2017 5.3L since I installed the catch can...  It's done it's job, collected several ounces of oil.

I checked my vacuum line going from the can to the manifold, and that hose is bone dry, doesn't seem to be any oil in it, so the can is stopping and catching 99% of it.

I am using a $30 can from Amazon, and inside it has a small screw in inner chamber that I took out and packed with fine steel wool and put back in.  That forces the misty air to "breathe" through that steel wool, which causes the mist to form big droplets and filter down to the bottom of the can and not get sucked in with the air going to the manifold.  Cheap and surprised me how effective it is...

you wont know if its done its job until you peek down the intake ports into the head.  catch cans only catch liquids, but when you heat the oil it becomes a vapor, and the catch-can does nothing but bypass oil vapor into the the manifold where it condenses and expands in a much cooler part of the motor.. This is where it condenses back to oil residue, only to get baked on the hot valves. towing will create a hotter oil and more oil gaseous vapor. the next simplest upgrade would be a 180 t-stat to keep the oil cool and less off gassing of vapor past the PCV. after that an oil cooler would help too.

the amazon CC, with the added steel wool might improve condensate to drop out before reaching the manifold

IMO the only guys who needs the catch-can is the racer or street truck that's revving the motor or any boosted application.

i bought into the hype year ago, and I do have a catch-can on my truck.  it only produces about a tablespoon full of recovered oil every month. and I have installed a 175 t-stat  to keep the oil and motor cool about 4 months ago.    

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

I've had mine installed a while now, don't catch much in the summer; maybe five ounces between oil changes. But I catch that much between fuel stops in the winter months.

Location of the can plays a big part with how effective they are in condensing the vapor...my first one (a little Jegs deal) caught a lot more, but it was also located farther away from the engine. The CP I have now is further forward, near the second battery, about 6 inches behind the radiator and maybe 10 inches from the engine; but I plumbed a 1.25" hose from the cold air side of the core support to the CP to blow cooler air across it when I'm moving.

I'm sitting at 176k on the clock, but it is a 6.0l...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk