Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Nope, it’s my own. I buy new tires every year too. 2018 SLT CC 6.2, bought it in January. So far this year for the sake of testing I’ve started with stock then went to KO2’s and then Ridge Grapplers. I also changed my front and rear diff at first 3K and then at 10k. I’ve sold at least 5 vehicles to friends and family because they all know the proactive maintenance I do. My mechanics are friends that I’ve known for 30 years and will push me up front and most of the time refuse to charge me labor. Christmas is a good time of year for everyone emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ve got me beat.i thought I was an extreme maintenance guy, wow! That’s pretty cool. I’m at 20,000 miles and I’m considering doing the tranny fluid, decided against it, but may have motivated me to go ahead and do it. Haha

• Like 1

Sea Foam will not hurt anything.

I use it in all my motors.

Serves two purposes, fuel stabilizer and fuel system cleaner.

Cheaper than Sta-Bil too.

I have used it for years.

:)

• Like 1

Okay guys and girls, it's no secret I am a Catch Can proponent, I have one and I will keep it on my truck. With that said, I have also pointed out there are good arguments to both sides and there are. Here is an article that details the problems (really no debate on this occurring) with DI engine valves getting dirty and disrupting airflow and whatnot. Believe it or not there is not one mention of using a Catch Can in this article (see I told you, I don't try to sway people my way LOL) It is an interesting read and very informative. A good read for both camps...

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2015/01/direct-injection-engines-carbon-deposits/

• Like 2

Okay guys and girls, it's no secret I am a Catch Can proponent, I have one and I will keep it on my truck. With that said, I have also pointed out there are good arguments to both sides and there are. Here is an article that details the problems (really no debate on this occurring) with DI engine valves getting dirty and disrupting airflow and whatnot. Believe it or not there is not one mention of using a Catch Can in this article (see I told you, I don't try to sway people my way LOL) It is an interesting read and very informative. A good read for both camps...

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2015/01/direct-injection-engines-carbon-deposits/

Good article. I think I’m doing good based on what the article states and will try sea foam intake spray on my next oil change along with replacing the engine air filter again. Many people complain but yet expect their new high tech engines to be able to self clean themselves. As long as my engine stays clean, I’ll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

So, what’s the best spray cleaner recommendations for the intake? I’d rather every couple of months pop off and spray inside the intake than remembering to empty a can which is still not a bad idea.

Sent from above

45 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

I'd like to see a dyno sheet from a DI 6.2 or 5.3 truck bone stock, then w/ 50k on the clock with and WITHOUT a catch can.

I can pretty much guarantee to ya a normally maintained truck w/o a can will put more power down @ 50k than @ 100 miles.............even w/ all that scary carbon build up ;-)

Simple...don’t buy one ? not saying you’re wrong but it’ll never happen unless someone with deep pockets wants to do it!

Edited by SS502

49 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

So, what’s the best spray cleaner recommendations for the intake? I’d rather every couple of months pop off and spray inside the intake than remembering to empty a can which is still not a bad idea.

Sent from above

I’ve heard BG is good...some do both this and the can. Like I’ve said a lot of times, I’m not advocating buying a catch can, that article I posted doesn’t even mention one. With that said, I’m going to run one simply because I believe they do some good...I’m not alone but to each their own. Anyway, BG is supposed to be a good product.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-air-intake-system-cleaner/

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:13 AM, TXGREEK said:

A spray cleaner into the throttle body won't clean the valves enough to justify the work.

Emptying a catch can is stupid easy.  Empty water bottle and about 15 seconds.

• Thanks 1

If I had a dyno close to me I would love to dyno my 2014 6.2 at 110K miles still bone stock to my knowledge.  I bought it 5000 miles ago and as far as I can tell it still runs really strong.  It will still blow the tires off with 34" nitto ridge grapplers on it and stayed right with my wifes 6.1 srt8 charger from a 70 to 90 kick. 

Getting ready to do Long tube headers not cats, E85 convertion, and HP tune.  Just wanted to drive it for a few month to stake it down before I jumped into performance stuff.

I will still probably add a catch can at some point.  Mainly because it will see boost in the future!!!

On 12/26/2018 at 11:20 AM, SS502 said:

Good information, thanks for sharing.

On 11/22/2015 at 6:12 AM, Tattooo said:

People have 200, 000 plus miles on their trucks including my 04 sierra without one or any problems

04s aren’t direct injection ?

the kotor pulls air straight to the head fuel is added inside the cylinder not at the intake valve...  therefore you never get the intake valves cleaned by fuel passing over them just air and whatever crap is sucked into the intake from the cylinder head covers...  

the catch can catches that crap and trust me it builds up on the intake valves on DI motors.  The original acadias all had stupid problems with this when they first rolled out with DI to the point they had to teach gm techs how to do a top end scrub to keep the cars on the road.   But wait there’s more.   Over time that intake build up will foul the injectors as well and you get to replace those to. If your truck has anything over 1k on it and no catch can do a good seafoam top end treatment first.  Install catch can well it sits and then start her up and get rid of all the extra crap that is now gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

Maybe I'm stupid, but don't you have to monitor and top off the oil level as the can catches junk?  Aren't they removing some oil also?

Shouldn't you be monitoring your oil level anyway? Catch can or not.