Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

I have simply tired to ask some legitimate questions as the cause and effect, as well as share MY personal experience to date. 

So far, all I have seen in response, are posts claiming doom if we don't assimilate , shame for not assimilating, and so on....

Where is Al Gore when you need him :lol: 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You mean take the mask off the Old Lone Ranger? Isn't it much more fun to just endlessly debate maybe, if's and's and buts? 

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump there butts when they jump! 

Does that look like an air compressor separator or what? 

1. Easy? Check

2.) Helps efficiency? How? Key word efficiency. Thermal efficient? Fuel efficient? How does it help Efficiency? 

3.) If it harms nothing? Great reason to speed money. I spent money and it does nothing. 

4.) "Relatively inexpensive"? $500 for a beer can and some garden hose. How is that relative? 

Less than $60.00 in parts PLUS the satisfaction of putting it together yourself (priceless).  You do mod, don't you?

The snot these things collect in NO way can be beneficial for any type of combustion.  Even better for algore than a cabin air filter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hillwood said:

Let's see some pictures of two disassembled engines with the same mileage..
One with the can and one without..
No proof here... Just speculation..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thats what Ive wanted to see. We all know it catches stuff. But I'd love to see a side by side. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, migizi said:

I have simply tired to ask some legitimate questions as the cause and effect, as well as share MY personal experience to date. 

So far, all I have seen in response, are posts claiming doom if we don't assimilate , shame for not assimilating, and so on....

Where is Al Gore when you need him :lol: 

You should go back and read your own post on 9 November 2018 where you say you won't deny obvious cause/result. Nobody has been shaming you, in fact we've suggested you do what you think is right, it's your choice, your money, your everything! I'm not making your payments (if you have any) so I'm not going to tell you what to do, you asked questions and we've tried to answer to the best of our abilities...I flat told you I have no idea if your use of full synthetic along with frequent change intervals is helping or not because I really don't know. Now as for Al Gore...he is busy inventing the Internet while flying around the globe in his private jet sucking up tons of fuel and expelling copious amounts of greenhouse harming by-products.

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Plenty of picks around the net of gen V LT's of various mileage with intakes pulled where the intake valve is crusted up significantly.  on VW's , BMW's and mini coopers it is dramatic. Looks nothing like a high mileage port injected LS motor especially one that has been seafoamed regularly(clean intake valves - no deposits). How much it effects performance is the delta.

This one is not snake oil. I'll agree that a $350 wazoo vs a $15 oil air separator that is equally effective is a good argument that the high dollar gizmo is a hustle. When I pull my intake I will be sure to take pictures and document good, bad, or indifferent.

But yeah kinda common sense that once you put it on you better check it regularly and dump it. Also can be a source of an air leak if not sealed off properly. (false air coming in). only time will tell. 

17 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Food for thought.

I wonder how many vehicles with catch cans installed and are traded in.  Then the new owner, not having a clue other than to drive and put gas in their vehicle.  Keeps driving it until the can becomes completely full and then starts sucking out all that nasty oil into the intake. 

I guess it is still to soon to tell but in another 10 years or so I bet this becomes an item.  Like, hey guys, I just purchased a nice Silverado/Sierra and when I got it home I noticed it having issues and so I took it to the dealer and they said that the previous owner installed a catch can and it was full and sucking oil into the intake and it killed your CATS from burning all that blow-by product the can caught, or the intake is completely gummed up with oil and such.

I'm sure when we all sell our vehicles with catch cans we all take them off but there might be those that don't.

Do you think this will happen?   Just curious.  There are more out there that purchase and just drive than those that really take care of their vehicle and to me it is only a matter of time.

It will become the norm that when you purchase a used vehicle you check to see if it has a catch can, and then you wonder if it was taken care of or left alone and now can cause issues.

Again, just food for thought, not saying either way it is a good or bad thing to have a catch can.

I totally get what you’re saying but then when I’m trying to imagine it and my brain sees it like this...Okay, let’s assume the can is full and can no longer accept anything else, that should allow whatever it’s no longer catching to simply continue on through and get sucked into the intake. Those same blow-by products would have been injested with no can wouldn’t they? This would basically render the can useless and it would sit full of the nasty stuff. Think of it like a glass of water, you can only fill it so full before it over flows but the amount of water going in is the same that’s spilling out. Even if it siphoned some of the can’s contents, that stuff would have been injested through the intake anyway. I think the bigger problem would arise if the full can caused a reduced functionality of moving the nasties or worse yet a complete blockage that creates excessive pressures and blows out a seal. Thoughts?

A few of you might remember when you bought gas at a "service station" and the attendant pumped your gas, checked your tire pressure, checked your oil level, and cleaned your windshield.  "Serviced" your vehicle.

Guess what?!?  YOU are now that guy and if you're not doing these things, you're NOT doing your job as a vehicle maintainer. 

Get to work; a catch can is a very easy thing to check and empty when you service these things.

If a 74 year-old man can do it,...…...

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Hillwood said:

What happens when the can gets condensation in it and it is below zero?
Think about that!

What about when that fluid warms and becomes liquid mostly water dribbling into your combustion chamber?

• Like 1

When that can freezes up and your engine can't breathe you will blow out the seals and loose all your oil ...
2.4 engine is known for this. The pcv port freezes and blows out the rear main. Every winter we see this.
Mind you, I'm talking up north with extreme temperature swings which cause extreme condensation.
If the can gives you peace of mind, I'm happy for you..
I won't have one..