Texas speed headers

Did they supply those u-bolt style clamps? Those are terrible. Spent 40$ and got lap band style clamps and no more leaks. I didn't have an issue with the part where it connects to the stock piping before the muffler or it bein that close to the crossmember, I actually have an inch or 2 of clearance. I did have to bend the heat shield on the side of the housing where the y-pipe joins together. That's it though

• Like 1

Are you going to try having the y pipe moved because of the crossmember or will it be fine? Also do you think that having the y pipe and exhaust welded get rid of the leak and be better than clamps

I'm going to try to move the Y pipe a little closer to the front, to gain some more clearance of the crossmember. I was trying to avoid welding, incase I took it off some day. I did want to hack it all up.

Sent from Tapatalk App - Samsung S6

Did they supply those u-bolt style clamps? Those are terrible. Spent 40$ and got lap band style clamps and no more leaks. I didn't have an issue with the part where it connects to the stock piping before the muffler or it bein that close to the crossmember, I actually have an inch or 2 of clearance. I did have to bend the heat shield on the side of the housing where the y-pipe joins together. That's it though

They supplied 3" band clamps. I cleared the "slots" when slipping the pieces together, but I think I need to see if I can push them further together.

As for the ball and catback, no idea why that won't seal. I'm about to start exploring all this in the garage.

No access to a lift today though.

Do you have any pics of your connection of the Y to the collector? Just want to see how far yours ride up on them.

b700ed33d3df3ef9a0bcc4bdfc6516c0.jpg

a97f13cd74b4e90f2504a5e9a6d9e376.jpg

I will say, best way to attack getting the stock manifolds and plugs and wires off is through the fender.

d28b07c67a9dc42bc7082e3993415077.jpg

04a6412f29da1141b0f55ebd9389fc67.jpg

Here is the crossmember clearance.

9044df89be3852a0f2298ba87336f910.jpg

I'm thinking if I can get this part of the Y to slide up on the header a little further, I'll gain some clearance.

888567979fb3a039c524d73f9e637017.jpg

Merge looks good, access to those bolts looks great. Sad to see the clearance issues.

Maybe go V band if you can't get the ball socket to seal.

Edited by jrob56
  • Like 1

I had the same problem with the kooks y pipe to stock catback, couldn't get them to seal tight. After comparing the stock and kooks y, turned out the flare in the kooks y is slightly bigger than needed!

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the kooks y pipe to stock catback, couldn't get them to seal tight. After comparing the stock and kooks y, turned out the flare in the kooks y is slightly bigger than needed!

Exactly what I am thinking. I guess I could weld it, but wasn't wanting to do that really.

Did you end up welding it?

Edited by Rawyzf

Merge looks good, access to those bolts looks great. Sad to see the clearance issues.

Maybe go V band if you can't get the ball socket to seal.

I'd have to cut the Y pipe ro get the video band on the Y, right?

You must be talking about these. They look like they'd work great for the Y connection and y to header connection. If I still have leaks after a few cycles on the clamps I have now, I'll get some.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171722256591?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Exactly what I am thinking. I guess I could weld it, but wasn't wanting to do that really.

You could try some high temp RTV in between and check if it stops the leak, it worked for me!

• Like 1

You could try some high temp RTV in between and check if it stops the leak, it worked for me!

Good idea, I'll try that.

Good to see you getting the headers on bummer about the sealing, clearance issues.

RT

I gained a few mm of clearance this morning. Would still like more, but I'm pretty sure it won't hit the crossmember. If it does, I'll consider notching that corner.

Next up, that ball connection sealing issue.