First brake job?

I had all the rotors & pads replaced this past weekend with 104,500km (65,000 miles) on the truck.

Fronts had barely any pad left. All wore very evenly.

I thought I needed new pads due to some squeeking about a week ago. Ordered the OEM pads which weren't in stock. Then I took the wheels off and the old pads have at least 50%, probably 60%, life remaining. At 60k miles I was pretty amazed they had so much life left. So the new pads went onto a shelf in the garage for when they are actually needed. At this rate it'll be probably 100k+ miles when I replace them.

• 1 month later...

I'm at 49.7 on the odometer and mine are starting to squeal hardcore. It's sad that the original pads on my 2002 Yukon lasted to 127k no joke and this truck I paid 3 times more for is having brake issues this soon.

I'm at 49.7 on the odometer and mine are starting to squeal hardcore. It's sad that the original pads on my 2002 Yukon lasted to 127k no joke and this truck I paid 3 times more for is having brake issues this soon.

6" skyjacker and 35s

Maybe this?

:happysad:

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

ended up changing them at 60K.  Fronts were screaming.  Probably could've got another 5k out of them but the noise was pretty embarrassing.  Should've done all 4 at once but im stupid so im doing the backs this weekend.  I expect them to have a bit more life than the fronts did.  

16 hours ago, krzyd said:

Brake job at 70k :P

20180306_07291220180216_164525

Very nice!!!  I’ve been thinking about the GM front brake upgrade package when the factory pads on my truck are worn. I’m at about 117k kms and should make it to around 130k before the brakes need some attention. Did you notice a significant improvement with the front and rear wilwoods over the stock brakes?  

• 1 month later...

at 61k miles I have now changed my front brake pads twice, and rotors once. Rears are still good. First brake change at 30k miles the inboard drivers' pad was down to metal, rest were 30% - changed front pads only. Second change the passenger inboard pad was down to metal and the rest were 20%. Rotors all badly grooved. Replaced with Carquest Platinum rotors and pads

1 hour ago, clayp said:

at 61k miles I have now changed my front brake pads twice, and rotors once. Rears are still good. First brake change at 30k miles the inboard drivers' pad was down to metal, rest were 30% - changed front pads only. Second change the passenger inboard pad was down to metal and the rest were 20%. Rotors all badly grooved. Replaced with Carquest Platinum rotors and pads

Hard on brakes are ya?

62 k miles on originals.

Towing miles also.

Will put on new pads and shoes before winter.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Hard on brakes are ya?

62 k miles on originals.

Towing miles also.

Will put on new pads and shoes before winter.

:)

I'm disappointed too but clearly some folks here have had the inboard front pads wear out rapidly due to some kind of binding issue from the factory. I've had it on both sides and it clearly led to premature wear by at least 10-20k miles

2015 Crew can running 35” tires and I’m pushing 40k right now. Pads are still in great shape. Checked the other day and still close to half left at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

you guys must ride your brake pedals.  i'm at over 112K on the original pads/rotors on my 2014.  i'm planning on a brake job by 115-116K, but i could probably push them another 7500 miles past that if i want...

• Thanks 1

First off, drilled and slotted rotors look badass!  I love the look, but in my experience and research they accelerate pad wear and increase brake dust while actually reducing performance (except some better initial bite) over a good vented rotor.  Let me be clear, I'm not hating, just curious if there is a reason you would want them on a truck, other than looking good.  This is my first new truck, the last one didn't warrant performance mods, so I haven't done much research on what to put on when my OEM brakes are done (which could be a while it seems), but is there some reason drilled/slotted rotors would be better on a truck?

On 6/30/2017 at 7:51 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

I'm sitting just shy of 35K, and wife and daughter are saying that they keep hearing something when the brakes are applied.

Changed my fronts about 10 days ago, about 50K on my truck.  Lefts were about half worn, BUT the rights, HOLY CRAP, the inboard one was GONE, with outboard about half gone.  Glad the dealership warned me about 2 weeks prior.

Front Right Brake Pads.jpeg