First brake job?

80k here on the factory brakes.  nothing replaced.  The RR rotor is warped because the dealers were impacting the wheel on/off when I had the axle seal issue a while back.  I could probably get to 100-120k if I wanted.  But with the rear axle leak needing addressed again, I'm doing Yukon shafts, seals, bearings, rotors, pads etc.  The whole enchilada. 

I just replaced my front Rotors and pads this weekend.  57K the drivers side were fine rotors and pads but I noticed the passenger side scored the Rotor after big chunk blew out from pad just ate/warped my passenger side after slamming on the brakes in traffic a few times in one week!  They were EVOK driving style stops 80-0mph shit ur pants loose the pedal feel!  Anyway, I went with EBC Never had but will see how they work out!

2015 Crew can running 35” tires and I’m pushing 40k right now. Pads are still in great shape. Checked the other day and still close to half left at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm I'm the same boat luckily! 38k miles and 35's and brakes have a ton of life left

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have a bit over 32k miles on my 17 Silverado 1500 LTZ and my brakes started sqeeking.  Sucks! I'm trying to figure out what are the best pads to buy? Also, if anyone has a repair manual I'd gratefully appreciate  it if you can send me the pages where it breaks down the calipers and components in that area. 

Also, wanted to ask if anyone has had any problems with front left popping noise when cutting the wheel to the right or left.  It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. I had even took it to the dealership and had them check front and back and the advisor said he has the same truck and it's the bushings and its a known issue with the trucks! So I had it repaired and a week later pop again.  Again. . I'm Looking for advice maybe yall know if there's some better aftermarket parts?

Sorry for the long message!

• 6 months later...
2015 Silverado high country 4wd 1500. I have 28,944 miles and have to change factory breaks, rotors and in the next few months tres. I am the only owner and barely use the truck never tow I use this truck maybe 40 miles a week. Wtf. This is the most shittest vehicle I have ever bought. Never again AABCC004-5759-493D-B281-67B15B290750.thumb.jpeg.f8379d06bf94a68d696dcc60f2f8ca92.jpeg 

Lol your blaming the trucks brakes for your lousy driving habits.[emoji2960]

48 minutes ago, grizzlyltz said:

Lol your blaming the trucks breaks for your lousy driving habits.emoji2960.png

I agree . I have to just shake my head in disbelief. You guys must have have your foot on the brake pedal while you're driving. I've never got less than 150,000 miles on my brakes on  any Silverado I've owned since 1999. In fact on my 2011, I never changed them until 180,000 miles. It had drums in the rear too. There was 20% left still. Im not exaggerating either. I drive 50% highway 50%city.

You must go right from the gas to the brake. Try coasting up to a red  light or stop sign. Then hit the brakes when you're almost there. These trucks slow themselves down if you let it. To the guys that are changing brakes at 30 - 40,000 miles quit driving like you stole it . You'll learn.

• Like 2

Just had all four wheels done last week (Jan 2nd). 39,850 miles. Issue was rear rotors were flaking on the surfaces. Pieces flaking off with rust underneath the surface where it flaked away. Front rotors were in decent shape but pads only had about 20% left. Rears were pretty rusty in general. Lots of road salt used around here in the winter. Cleaned up the calipers and put in new slider pins, high temp grease, and smoothed out the brackets where the calipers ride. Stops like a champ now.

Edited by DONWT15

2 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

Just had all four wheels done last week (Jan 2nd). 39,850 miles. Issue was rear rotors were flaking on the surfaces. Pieces flaking off with rust underneath the surface where it flaked away. Front rotors were in decent shape but pads only had about 20% left. Rears were pretty rusty in general. Lots of road salt used around here in the winter. Cleaned up the calipers and put in new slider pins, high temp grease, and smoothed out the brackets where the calipers ride. Stops like a champ now.

I am not here to tell you what and what not to do. But....do only put silicone based grease/lubricant on brake componets and slide pins etc.  You can and will swell all associated components,bushings, seals etc.

2qty things....Buy HIGH QUALITY JACK/STANDS...and NEVER CUT CORNERS ON BRAKES!

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

I am not here to tell you what and what not to do. But....do only put silicone based grease/lubricant on brake componets and slide pins etc.  You can and will swell all associated components,bushings, seals etc.

2qty things....Buy HIGH QUALITY JACK/STANDS...and NEVER CUT CORNERS ON BRAKES!

Not to worry, have 4, 2 1/2 ton stands and lubed with this. all synthetic.

Capture.JPG

Check your parking brake hardware while your back there.

When i did all 4 sides last month my parking brake was stuck, all hardware was rusted beyond operation. I dont use my parking brake so perhaps thats the issue.

The shoes were almost new but the moving parts were rusted up. I would say use your parking brake periodically to make sure it doesnt get stuck.

Went with powerstop Z36 on all corners and powerstop shoes as well. 

6 hours ago, Ozer said:

Check your parking brake hardware while your back there.

When i did all 4 sides last month my parking brake was stuck, all hardware was rusted beyond operation. I dont use my parking brake so perhaps thats the issue.

The shoes were almost new but the moving parts were rusted up. I would say use your parking brake periodically to make sure it doesnt get stuck.

Went with powerstop Z36 on all corners and powerstop shoes as well. 

Yup

• 5 months later...

Okay, I have a 2017 2wd LT that I pull a 31 ft camper with. Never had a problem with stopping the trailer.  Just had the tires rotated and oil changed at 20,000 miles and the front brake pads only had 2mm left. I have never had brake wear like that on anything I have driven before. Any ideas what might cause that type of wear and how to relieve it? Are there upgraded GM brake pads to use? Going to have them changed at the dealer next week.