First brake job?

I did my fronts around 80k - got a quick question though. My brake pedal (even before I changed them) seems to not have the same pressure built up when I hit the brakes like it used to when new. Is this a brake line issue?

The pedal doesn't go straight to the ground or anything, but it definitely a lot different feeling then when new. And i notice if i pump the brake once or twice it seems to stiffen up the pedal a lot more.

Edited by Brentonen

I did my fronts around 80k - got a quick question though. My brake pedal (even before I changed them) seems to not have the same pressure built up when I hit the brakes like it used to when new. Is this a brake line issue?

The pedal doesn't go straight to the ground or anything, but it definitely a lot different feeling then when new. And i notice if i pump the brake once or twice it seems to stiffen up the pedal a lot more.

Bleed the brakes.

I have 67k on my truck. Drive a lot of city driving, have towed and since 53k I have +1 size E load KO2's. Brakes on my last oil change few weeks ago looked great. 50% left and the brake fluid in the reservoir is exactly halfway between the high and low mark.... so 50%. But I have a rear rotor that is warped, I can feel it under medium pressure with some speed like coming off the hwy.

• Like 1

I have 67k on my truck. Drive a lot of city driving, have towed and since 53k I have +1 size E load KO2's. Brakes on my last oil change few weeks ago looked great. 50% left and the brake fluid in the reservoir is exactly halfway between the high and low mark.... so 50%. But I have a rear rotor that is warped, I can feel it under medium pressure with some speed like coming off the hwy.

I have the same vibration in my truck. It's been present since bought mine at 42k miles. What pads and rotors for a truck that is mostly a daily driver and will pull a 4x8 utility trailer once in a while would you guys recommend? I want the least dust as possible so ceramic pads will do.

Edited by Eddie 70

I have the same vibration in my truck. It's been present since bought mine at 42k miles. What pads and rotors for a truck that is mostly a daily driver and will pull a 4x8 utility trailer once in a while would you guys recommend? I want the least dust as possible so ceramic pads will do.

Honestly, I found an AC Delco dealer nearby and bought the replacement coated rotors. Within a few dollars of others and I figured if they lasted 62k in upstate New York winters they were pretty good.

• Like 1

I'd recommend doing a full brake fluid flush and and full bleed of the system, especially if you're driving a 2014 or 2015; ie a vehicle more than 2 yrs old.

I power flushed mine to NAPA DOT 4 brake fluid when it was almost new. Has a higher boiling point, but won't last as long as DOT 3. I ran the same stuff in my two BMW's for years after getting tired of $10 per pint at BMW. When it comes to brake fluid, the color tells you everything. When it starts to darken up I flush it out. I like to keep clear fluid in the thing. So for me in FL with high humidity, 18-24 months is my track record with multiple vehicles and DOT 4.

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 2