7444 LED bulbs in stock taillight housings -Thoughts?

I like how the factory '14+ tail lights look and, of course, OEM light housing durability is typically superior to that of aftermarket components.

Anyway, I have considered swapping the factory bulbs to 7444 LEDs (in white or red) and seeing how well they work in the stock housings. I am expecting to need a resistor kit, as I have had to do with past LED conversions on my last truck. Thoughts? Anybody else done this?

Thanks for any input!

Wondering about this myself. I do know you have to match the color of the bulb to the color of the lens.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cb/car.lens_color.html

"Which Color LED should I use?

For best results the LED color should be the same as the lens color or if bulb is behind a clear lens, use the appropriate color for turn and brake light functions.

As an example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of the light so if the light is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a White LED contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum so most of the light would be filtered out by a red lens."

I like how the factory '14+ tail lights look and, of course, OEM light housing durability is typically superior to that of aftermarket components.

Anyway, I have considered swapping the factory bulbs to 7444 LEDs (in white or red) and seeing how well they work in the stock housings. I am expecting to need a resistor kit, as I have had to do with past LED conversions on my last truck. Thoughts? Anybody else done this?

Thanks for any input!

I couldn't get mine to work. I ordered from Super Bright LEDs and even the CANBUS wouldn't work. I returned all the bulbs. I bought the $25 bulbs since the $15 bulbs were too dim. Only one would emit while the other bulb wouldn't turn on and if I used the directionals the bulbs would go out. I am buying LED taillights for almost the same price I spent on bulbs.

Where did you order these? Links perhaps? Thanks!

I bought the LEDs at pep boys and resistor on amazon CUTEQUEEN TRADING 4pcs 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights or DRL (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) (pack of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCULNXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_PYyBxb6R530HV. https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/philips-7443-led-red-stop-and-tail-automotive-light-2-bulbs?CAWELAID=120150920000761693&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=16011777366&CATCI=pla-118898802486&catargetid=120150920000797995&cadevice=t&gclid=CjwKEAjwtLO7BRDax4-I4_6G71USJAA6FjN1zX2HqP83Yx_LnFFu0XqULIMhgmeLUSHk5zAVacXiJRoCAL3w_wcB

• 1 month later...

I used the Philips led red 7443 with a resistor and they look great

Mind sharing how you wired the resistors? I have the same Philips 7443 bulbs and am having a heck of a time getting both bulbs to work without giving me the error message.

Archived