About to attempt the water pump, few questions

99 Silverado, 198k miles, original pump and thermostat and the pump started leaking. I'm going to replace.

Looks like a 4 hour job for a non-pro, you guys agree?

While I'm in there, I'm thinking I should replace serpentine belt and thermostat since they are originals.

One major question I have: does the new pump typically come with a gasket plate or do I have to buy gaskets separately?

Also, gaskets on dry or with sealer?

thanks,

chris

The water pump will come with a new gasket,the thermostat probably won't.I like to use Permatex non hardening(#2) on the block(helps to seal and hold the gasket in place) and on the water pump before installing.I just like that little added sealing security.Use it sparingly,a little goes a long way.I think you can get this entire job done in a couple of hours.

The water pump will come with a new gasket,the thermostat probably won't.I like to use Permatex non hardening(#2) on the block(helps to seal and hold the gasket in place) and on the water pump before installing.I just like that little added sealing security.Use it sparingly,a little goes a long way.I think you can get this entire job done in a couple of hours.

You need to recheck your sources on the thermostat. No sealer on the o-ring.

New or Reman Water Pumps should come with the gasket

Might as well install a new Serp Belt and Thermostat while in there

Good time to check upper & lower Radiator Hoses too. If they look fat & swollen might as well drain the coolant & /replace them too

A few very small dabs of gasket sealer on the block just to hold the water pump gasket in place

Since this is a 1st for you having a manual close by wouldn't hurt even though it's a pretty straight forward R & R

Just take your time and note your bolt locations

2.5 hours and it's a wrap

99 Silverado, 198k miles, original pump and thermostat and the pump started leaking. I'm going to replace.

Looks like a 4 hour job for a non-pro, you guys agree?

While I'm in there, I'm thinking I should replace serpentine belt and thermostat since they are originals.

One major question I have: does the new pump typically come with a gasket plate or do I have to buy gaskets separately?

Also, gaskets on dry or with sealer?

thanks,

chris

There's probably a dozen or more videos on Youtube of this exact job being done. If you're an amateur, just watching one or two will make you life a lot easier & help with your confidence.

I'd suggest getting some blue loctite for reassembly. A bit on the threads of each bolt is a good idea, after you cleaned the threads (if they're dirty, wet or greasy.

Finished the job this evening about 5 mins before Broncos game. It did end up taking close to 3.5 hours but only because I'm a moron. As some suggested, most challenging part was the fan. When you torque on the nut the whole assembly turns with it, so it's tricky. Ended up using C-clamp to grip the serpentine belt with housing, and that worked.

Didn't have crescent wrench big enough for the fan bolt, so used channel locks. I know, naughty naughty.

During disassembly I dropped a plastic tab thingy and spent 15 mins looking for it. On re-assembly I put the new pump on to test the fit, then when I pulled it back I lost BOTH flat gaskets that came with the pump. That cost me a good 45 mins looking for both gaskets. Eventually found them in strange places.

Did not use any sealer and just went with the gaskets directly on metal. Gaskets came with pump. Thermostat comes with an O-ring. I replaced serpentine belt and thermostat in the process. I also flushed the coolant system (using distilled water) which added some time. For the draining I was able to use the plastic drain plug. Some youtube videos suggest not using plug to avoid breakage and instead opening lower radiator hose.

1aauto.com has good video on the process.

Even with drip pan you'll get coolant everywhere. It drains all over the place. Sorta like a rainstorm of coolant. I filled it with 50/50 Dex, and used 2 jugs. Will need to buy another jug tomorrow because I'm a bit below the fill line.

Thanks for all the advice and wish me luck tomorrow on the way to work ;)

Archived