Wireless charging

Never had an android, let alone an S7, but they dont because they are too big? Is the S8 same size or bigger or smaller?

I have an iPhone 6 Plus with a wireless charging case and it doesnt charge properly because its too big. If I get a newer iPhone, I am probably going with a non Plus.

On my 17, the only way my s7 will reliably charge is no case, and all of the nubs shaved from the chraging mat. It's not really anything to look forward to because the charge rate is terribly slow, the phone gets really hot, and it ends up on the floor when you access the console.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My S7 will only charge out of the case or if I have the outer plastic ring off of my case not sure why.

The charger in the trucks are weak. My S7 charges on the Samsung charger pad no issues.

Even out of the case the phone has to be placed in the correct spot and if it slides it will stop.

I wanted to tear the charge pad apart and see if I could make it work better but it is to big a pain in the butt to take it apart.

I've noticed this on my '17 and my S7 Edge. I don't know why GM didn't make the charger another half inch wider. (Or more)

Seems like no phone that I'll buy after this truck will really fit, since phones tend to grow each year :dunno:

Because they went with a cheap single coil charger, which dictates pad size.

My 3-coil retrofit charger charges my S7 in its silicone case without issue.

• Like 2

Because they went with a cheap single coil charger, which dictates pad size.

My 3-coil retrofit charger charges my S7 in its silicone case without issue.

Just seems like it doesn't work for all that many phones now and I'd guess not for any phones made in 2017 or on. But you're probably right on the cost thing. Seems like a $50k plus truck it oughta work.

Even if it worked is it really a great benefit? I use Apple CarPlay which requires the USB which charges the phone too. Even with out Carplay it seems easier to set the phone in the front tray and use a small 3"USB and just plug it in. Doesn't fly around the truck that way when you take off too quick or need to hit the brakes hard. Not to mention having to use a clunky charger case.

• Like 1

Even if it worked is it really a great benefit? I use Apple CarPlay which requires the USB which charges the phone too. Even with out Carplay it seems easier to set the phone in the front tray and use a small 3"USB and just plug it in. Doesn't fly around the truck that way when you take off too quick or need to hit the brakes hard. Not to mention having to use a clunky charger case.

Not sure how "grab end of cable, plug into phone, set phone in front tray" is easier than "drop phone flat on tray right next to arm". :)

I've never had my S6 or S7 fly around in or out of the tray regardless of acceleration or deceleration.

• Like 1

Well most Android phones have it built in. And you've got a good point on the Android Auto or Carplay thing.

I guess it just struck me as odd when I started looking into this issue that the answer 'round the web is either "No" or "who cares."

If this is my biggest issue with my truck I'll consider myself quite happy. :freak:

Edited by Nick The Great

My S7 charges fine on the pad

BUT

- I don`t have an external case

- the phone must be screen up, and pushed to the back of the charge tray

- so when I use it I set the bottom of the phone against the back of the tray area and then lay the phone down -- works every time

- if not properly placed or if it gets moved and the connection is broken then it must be removed completely from the pad before it will reestablish a connection

- tray charging is MUCH MUCH slower than using the cable, so if I`m concerned about getting it charged it gets connected to the USB

- the main reason it gets hooked up is if I want to use `live traffic`on google maps;

- if not needing charge and I don`t want live traffic, it probably stays in my pocket

- I leave the end of a usb cable sticking out thru the notch at the front of the storage bin so iféwhen it is needed it can be located without opening the bin lid

Not sure how "grab end of cable, plug into phone, set phone in front tray" is easier than "drop phone flat on tray right next to arm". :)

I've never had my S6 or S7 fly around in or out of the tray regardless of acceleration or deceleration.

Maybe "easier" was the wrong term. As an iPhone user the pad is useless in my opinion. My iPhone has maybe not "flown" around but has come off and fallen in between the seat and console.

I just picked up the new S8+ today and it charges fine in my truck...I just have to put it on top of the rear lip of the charging pad for it to work. It fit fine in the cutout but wouldn't charge until I moved it up on the lip, Strange!!