When will GM step up its diesel game?

For a long time it has been Ford vs Chevy/GMC in the HD truck game. In the past couple of years the top contenders are Ram and Ford, while GM trails behind. I understand that GM released a new Diesel engine for the 2017 model which competes in HP and Torque with Ford, but it comes no where close to the towing capacity of the other 2. Almost 7,000lbs less. When will GM learn and top these two companies in towing capacity? All that HP and Torque is great, but if you cant pull anything with it, whats the point?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you need to tow more than 22,000 lbs, you are getting into commercial truck territory. Maybe GM prefers to market to private consumers (higher profit margin) rather than businesses.

For a long time it has been Ford vs Chevy/GMC in the HD truck game. In the past couple of years the top contenders are Ram and Ford, while GM trails behind. I understand that GM released a new Diesel engine for the 2017 model which competes in HP and Torque with Ford, but it comes no where close to the towing capacity of the other 2. Almost 7,000lbs less. When will GM learn and top these two companies in towing capacity? All that HP and Torque is great, but if you cant pull anything with it, whats the point?

Go watch the TFL Truck Ike gauntlet. The Duramax was faster with a 22000lbs trailer than both the Ram and the Ford with THE SAME TRAILER. 22000lbs trailer, about 8000lbs less than what they are rated at. So what if Ford and Ram are rated to haul more, they still can't pull it as good as the GM twins at full load.

7000 lbs difference is quite a bit.

But I'm not a fan of maxing out everything. GM did good on that one.

After the GM truck outperformed the competition with 22,000 lbs tow capacity, I'd like to see a run of the three with 30,000 lbs in the back.

Just for the fun of it.

so long

j-ten-ner

New max runs strong. Also GM marketing calculated that majority of its customers never go over 22k. Either way GM does better with 2500 sales then sales 3500. Now if we're talking about stepping up game, let's talk about the anemic 6.0. Ya ya ya it's durable as rock. But also last in hp and tq , last in towing vs the other hd gas Models. In a recent pickuptrucks.com test the GM was dead last in almost every hd gas category. Nothing personal because again it's a rock solid motor but time for upgrading.

Hey man! I drive a 15 Duramax and haul well over 26k a lot of the time.... plenty of power!! 2017 Duramaxs have I think like 445 horse and like 910 ftlbs of torque.. I drove a 2016 Cummins before that and it sucked pondwater as far as power goes..

Hey man! I drive a 15 Duramax and haul well over 26k a lot of the time.... plenty of power!! 2017 Duramaxs have I think like 445 horse and like 910 ftlbs of torque.. I drove a 2016 Cummins before that and it sucked pondwater as far as power goes..

Idk why all my posts are posting twice sorry guys ??

Go watch the TFL Truck Ike gauntlet. The Duramax was faster with a 22000lbs trailer than both the Ram and the Ford with THE SAME TRAILER. 22000lbs trailer, about 8000lbs less than what they are rated at. So what if Ford and Ram are rated to haul more, they still can't pull it as good as the GM twins at full load.

Exactly! So many people forget it took Ram,FERD until just a few years ago to offer a better Diesel......I mean they had to start putting down 900+ on torque just to out pull the OLD Dmaxes?

Seriously, this new L5P is straight KING OF DIESEL it Jokingly handles the RAM, FERDS which claim 30k+ towing.......... People who know by the DMAX and they know immediately it blows the RAM,FERDS

A lot of the design is influenced by two things IMO. Meeting government regs. and build cost directly related to retail pricing IMO. You can't please everybody. Trucks have come a long way and the diesels pull loads never dreamed of years ago. :happysad:

If you need to tow more than 22,000 lbs, you are getting into commercial truck territory. Maybe GM prefers to market to private consumers (higher profit margin) rather than businesses.

Some truth to that. If I needed to pull seriously heavy most of the time, I would just get a medium sized truck spec'd to my needs. More engine, trans, and drive train choices. A broad range of differential ratio choices. More leg and elbow room with air ride seats and even swivel versions. Even the new Bose seats are becoming more available in even midsize trucks. If you haven't experienced a Bose seat, you are really missing out. A totally computer controlled seat that adjusts to the ride conditions each micro second and can make you feel like you are driving the smoothest car ever made. And a better bang for my buck. Easier to work on for those that turn their own wrenches. Then you can laugh at Ford, Dodge, and everyone else.

Gm has the Diesel/Transmission combo down to a very good science. The DirtyMax hauls the mail and is fairly quiet.

Its just the options dept is where GM lacks compared to Ford/Ram

Archived