Rock Chips

Anyone else have this issue, or am I just this lucky? I think that on the 2500, the body is higher compared to the tire, and the mudflaps are not long enough. Getting quite a few rock chips, and some of them are clearly hitting the bumper (which is actually getting chewed up some by all the rocks) and bouncing into the body under the bumper and chipping it there. I looked at a few 1500s that have flaps and they are not getting this at all. Either my paint job is crap, or it's a 2500 thing.

20170703_182237_zpsjkfpzkub.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either my paint job is crap, or it's a 2500 thing.

yep, paint job is crap. Lots of people complaining about rock chips along the front edge of the hood. I have several, too.

your chips near the rear bumper may be a symptom of the type of tires you are using and size of gravel you are driving on, but its definitely a crappy paint coating.

I drive on gravel some. Also roads are sanded here. That was my next thought, going to try to get that area of the truck wrapped in some thick clear decal.

I bought my truck with 78k on it. Tons of chips on the front painted bumper and all the leading edges in the front.

Looks the first owner followed a leaking gravel truck for days.

Being a dark blue, you can see every one of them.

I'll put a lot more on it since i'll be driving a lot of gravel roads.

I bought a Dr. Colorchip kit to see if I can address some of the major ones. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Heres the link.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/

I haven't had much trouble with the front yet. There isn't much hood exposed forward the way the grill is designed. Also I didn't buy a painted front bumper because of my OCD issues. Wrapping one of those seems like it would be the only way to save it though.

The best paint in the world will not survive rocks and grit. My truck has a lot of nicks like this but I know why. They were chip sealing the road and there was a lot of loose stones etc. Traffic was driving real slow till this ahole with a beat up Dudge truck coming in opposite direction was going very fast and I could hear stones bouncing off my truck. Signs posted, loose stones but he was in a hurry, did not want to drive 45 mph for several miles I guess.

I agree. But you would think the engineers would think about this a little bit. It wouldn't be that difficult to plan how to keep the truck from getting torn up by its own roost, but hey, it's more fun to just peel all the paint off and then let it rot out shortly after.

Your vehicle is not made to last forever. Most people do not like to hear this but the reality is, car/truck/powersports dealers and OEM’s need a reason for owners to keep buying new vehicles otherwise they simply won’t make money.

Every vehicle I have ever owned got rock chips. No chips= leave it in the garage. :happysad:

Oh, yes, I agree. Only thing is when it's only a year old and has 16,000 miles on it, we're tearing paint up at an alarming rate if it's going to make it to 100k or 200k miles without rotting out. So I'll have to do GM's work for them I guess.

Skeld do you have running boards on your truck? I have the black OEM ones and surprisingly they catch or deflect most of my rocks . I run gravel roads weekly and I noticed real quick the running boards curve in right behind the front tire and it deflects most all the rocks , road tar etc.

Archived