DPF - New 2018 GMC Duramax

Ray@Paula

Question

I just purchased a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali w/ Duramax. As I was going through the Duramax Diesel Owners Manual my jaw dropped...... Please, someone tell me I'm wrong..... Self cleaning of this DPF happens with "approximately" once per tank of fuel? Drive for at least 30 minutes above 30mph? What the hell............ and if I don't all hell breaks out according to the Caution's and Warning's? I don't live/work on the expressway and certainly don't want to drive for at least 30 minutes just to clean this EPA B.S. If I'm wrong about this, PLEASE..... PLEASE correct me.

14 answers to this question

Thanks for the replies...... It appears that my concerns are not really something to be worried about since my 2015 was the same. I purchased the 2015 new and never had a DPF message. Having the 2018 for only a couple days with the DPF message coming on with only 90 miles on the odometer concerned me. Looking this up in the manual which stated self cleaning occurs approx. every tank of fuel surprised me to say the least. This is all new to me in which I was obviously oblivious to. I'm probably just over reacting and need drive as I normally do. Thank's to those of you that helped explain the DPF. Ray

You're NOT overreacting. After paying the amount of money you did for this truck, it should be expected to do what it's supposed to do WITHOUT inconveniencing YOU.

If people don't stand up to this bullshit, they're just going to keep spoon-feeding it to us. People need to DEMAND more from their expensive vehicles! It can be done - GM (like the rest of them)just chooses the cheap way out.

The generation that fought in WWII would NEVER accept any of this, and neither should we.

OK........ Took the truck for a drive on the E-way to clean up the DPF. Message disappeared after 26 miles. I also got back my normal DIC. I also checked the hours and idle time in the DIC when I got home which stated the following;

Engine Hours: 6.2
Idle Hours: 2.7
I now have a grand total of 134 miles on the truck.
I believe the idling which was just shy of 1/2 the engine hours along with short runs was the problem. Thanks goes out to all of you for setting me straight on the PDF. Ray

I'm pretty sure Chevy isn't in the business of making stuff up to put in the owners manual.

There are a few threads on here about people running into active regens, where your idle increases during city driving and the DIC indicates you need to drive it for about 30 minutes. The other types of regen are passive and forced.

You're NOT overreacting. After paying the amount of money you did for this truck, it should be expected to do what it's supposed to do WITHOUT inconveniencing YOU.

If people don't stand up to this bullshit, they're just going to keep spoon-feeding it to us. People need to DEMAND more from their expensive vehicles! It can be done - GM (like the rest of them)just chooses the cheap way out.

The generation that fought in WWII would NEVER accept any of this, and neither should we.

I do agree....... too many regulations

idling kills the DPF. I'm down to regens every 130-160 miles now. 83,000 miles. Got the truck with 70,000 miles. The original owner used it up in the oil fields and based upon the hour meter vs actual driving, it saw a lot of idling, no doubt during the wintertime so obviously not very many proper regens done. If I hang onto the truck, I am soon going to have to have the DPF taken off and given an acid bath to clean off the crap that won't clean off in a regen. My previous truck, 08 Duramax that I had purchased almost new got me 400-500 miles per regen. Never a problem.

When I had my LML I went into regen once a tank. It was recommended to let it finish, however I didn’t always before shutting down. The emissions was a huge reason for me going back to a 1/2 ton besides not needing a 3/4 ton

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Instagram @wildchevys

I'm pretty sure Chevy isn't in the business of making stuff up to put in the owners manual.

There are a few threads on here about people running into active regens, where your idle increases during city driving and the DIC indicates you need to drive it for about 30 minutes. The other types of regen are passive and forced.

Didn't say things were made up...... I'm saying this is ridicules I.M.O. I was shocked to see this message come up on my two day old truck with 90 miles on it. This is my 3'rd Duramax, had a 2012 and traded up from my 2015. Thanks for the reply...... Ray

federal law.

You really don't want me to reply.........

When I had my LML I went into regen once a tank. It was recommended to let it finish, however I didn’t always before shutting down. The emissions was a huge reason for me going back to a 1/2 ton besides not needing a 3/4 ton

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

Didn't have this on my 2012 and 2015 Duramax ........ If I did, I sure didn't ever see any messages and/or warnings. Thanks for the reply. Ray

Regens are shorter in duration than my LML was. Mine goes into regen between 650 & 800 miles (I have an Edge CTS2 to tell me). This is about the same as my LML was. If you don't have something to tell you it's in regen it's very hard to tell except the hot exhaust. Like others have said this is Gov/EPA mandated crap that all diesels have and have had since the 2007 LMM.

Jay

Didn't have this on my 2012 and 2015 Duramax ........ If I did, I sure didn't ever see any messages and/or warnings. Thanks for the reply. Ray

you can tell it’s in regen by the high idle and terrible mpg’s due to the 9th injector dumping fuel into the exhaust

4.5" Zone

22x10 AF Grips

Instagram @wildchevys

Leave it to the government to screw up the perfect drivetrain ... :sick:

Getting deja-vu from this post. My ol' man bought an '09 Duramax brand new back then. Had nothing but trouble with regen. Every 200 miles the truck would go into limp mode, due to the DPF plugging up. MA isn't exactly the land of wide open spaces, so getting out on the highway for any length of time was a rarity. He bought the truck to tow his 5th wheel camper, and 21' center console boat. Thing went into limp mode the last time we towed the boat down to the Cape. What fun it is to drive a truck in MA traffic when you have no power to get out of your own way.

He brought it to the dealer at $200 per visit to run a regen. Wish I had my scan tool then! After blowing about $1,000 at the dealer for something GM should've ate, we deleted the DPF, tuned it, and (that part at least) it was trouble free for several years. Then, communist MA in their quest to screw every single resident of this craphole, decided they were going to "crack down" on diesel trucks. My dad was forced to re-install the old, shitty OE exhaust system. The following week we put the truck on Craigslist. See ya later, DPF ... :seeya:

Yep - modern diesels can't be used as commuters anymore, unfortunately. They want you driving lighter duty trucks that will start burning oil at 50k miles ... :uhoh:

Archived