Upgrading speakers in non-bose worth it?

GMcD

I have a 14’ silverado crew cab with an 8” screen and non-bose. Im not really happy with the volume of the stereo (i have moderate hearing loss in my right ear) and am wondering if upgrading the speakers will help? Im not a bass head and feel the bass is enough. Im just looking for volume and clarity. Also, is it possible to upgrade the speakers and keep the doors nice and tight like they are now? I dont like rattles from loose parts. Thanks guys!

4 minutes ago, GMcD said:
I have a 14’ silverado crew cab with an 8” screen and non-bose. Im not really happy with the volume of the stereo (i have moderate hearing loss in my right ear) and am wondering if upgrading the speakers will help? Im not a bass head and feel the bass is enough. Im just looking for volume and clarity. Also, is it possible to upgrade the speakers and keep the doors nice and tight like they are now? I dont like rattles from loose parts. Thanks guys!

Yes the speakers make a noticeable difference in clarity and volume. Let me find my post I did on my upgrade and I will link it here.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/192479-budget-audio-upgrade/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend the upgrade, too. So far I have swapped the front door speakers and the in-dash tweeters. The dash speakers didn’t seem much different but the door speakers made a huge difference.

I also added a subwoofer but, since you aren’t looking for more bass, you could probably skip that. I think you’ll be happy with the improved mids and highs from new speakers. 

I just went to Walmart and got some A/C trim/insulation foam. And used some 3M spray adhesive. Also important to note is attach the phone to the speaker frame not any soft/moving parts of the speaker. 

I had the exact same set up. Added a sound processor and a 5 channel amp. Swapped front with infinity kappa components. Tweeters were mounted by the sail panel. I replaced the rears with infinity references I had laying around. Amp feeds the speakers and a 10” low profile subwoofer. I’m not a base freak but I appreciate well balanced music which the stock system is anything but.

Only drawback to my set up is my door chime is pretty damn loud since I used factory cabling and amplified the dash tweeters.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:34 AM, GMcD said:

My hearing is not as sharp as it once was but I find the stock system quite adequate.  Changing just the speakers may or may not translate to an improved listening experience for you.  I suggest that you try taking a truck with the upgraded Boise system for a test listen at your local dealership.  Hearing impairments are not always circumvented by increased volume.

I just ordered Memphis Audio 6x9 fronts and 6.5 rears, will install them soon and report back. It should make a difference over the stock paper speakers, hard to think it wouldn't. Paid $159 shipped for everyhting from Clutchfield.

I just installed Hertz DCX 690.3 with adapters in the front only for now, made a huge difference in sound quality, make sure you line the speaker opening with dynamate or equivalent it will make the a/m adapters fit nice and snug cause they don`t otherwise  

I'm planning on replacing all of my interior speakers. Most likely with the CT Sounds line. Just haven't decided if I want to do a component 6.5 for the rear or actual 6.5 mids. 

If you do replace your speakers pick up some fast rings. They make baffling between the adaptor and door panel much easier. Or you can try your luck with the walmart sticky foam. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541FAST6/Stinger-Roadkill-RKFR6-FAST-Rings.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541FAST6X9/Stinger-Roadkill-RKFR69-FAST-Rings.html?tp=2809

Archived