Brake fluid Change?

My truck has just hit 44,000 miles, the dealer says it would be a good time to change the brake fluid. How many of you guys change your brake fluid ? This is something I've never done to my vehicles and it never cause a problem.

My truck has just hit 44,000 miles, the dealer says it would be a good time to change the brake fluid. How many of you guys change your brake fluid ? This is something I've never done to my vehicles and it never cause a problem.

I do it every 2 years. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and will suck water out of the air. This will cause a squishy pedal and will eventually rust and pit the caliper pistons/body. Potentially causing a stuck caliper. 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I got my oil changed  the other day,  dealer said same thing. And also wanted to do trans service also. I said I'm sure it's fine. My truck only has 29,000 miles on it. They must get a bonus if they can sell you stuff you really don't need.

It is often true that a service advisor is a commissioned position. Depends on the dealership. As for the brake fluid, I would follow the service schedule in the manual. It's called for every 5 years.

I wouldn’t do more than the extreme service scheduled in the manual on the transmission. Brake fluid change with new brakes while bleeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the owners manual (at least for my 2014) says to change the fluid every 10 years.  I am bad and can say I have never changed the brake fluid in any vehicle I have owned and I have had my last 3 truck for 10+ years a piece.  My motorcycles are a different story and I change the brake fluid in them every other year.  The one upside to changing the fluid every couple of years in your truck is that it will prevent the bleeder screws from rusting and locking shut.  You can buy new bleeder screws that will enable you to change the fluid yourself, I have them on all my motorcycles.

Changed mine on my '14 at 43k last month.  It was extremely dirty.  You wont notice a difference in performance but as stated, brake fluid absorbs water and creates issues inside the system that you cant see.  Since I do all my maintenance alone and we have 4 vehicles I bought a pressurized bleeder from amazon for like $60.  Makes changing the fluid stupid fast and easy with only one person.  FYI, my truck took an entire quart to flush the full system.  Use a syringe to pull as much old fluid out of the master cylinder before adding new fluid.  Makes purging the old fluid out quicker.

14 minutes ago, DirtyMarcus said:

Changed mine on my '14 at 43k last month.  It was extremely dirty.  You wont notice a difference in performance but as stated, brake fluid absorbs water and creates issues inside the system that you cant see.  Since I do all my maintenance alone and we have 4 vehicles I bought a pressurized bleeder from amazon for like $60.  Makes changing the fluid stupid fast and easy with only one person.  FYI, my truck took an entire quart to flush the full system.  Use a syringe to pull as much old fluid out of the master cylinder before adding new fluid.  Makes purging the old fluid out quicker.

What brake bleeder did you get?

:happysad:

16 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

What brake bleeder did you get?

:happysad:

https://smile.amazon.com/Motive-Products-101-System-Bleeder/dp/B00CJ5DWKO/ref=sr_1_cc_7?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1515337413&vehicle=2014-47-491-430-126-53-6-7-18671--8-1-2676-132-1-0&sr=1-7-catcorr&ymm=2014%3Achevrolet%3Asilverado+1500&keywords=power+brake+bleeder

Its a universal kit so the cap should fit on any master cylinder.  The MC on our trucks is tall.  I had to extend the chain, that keeps the cap tight on the MC, with a couple S hooks I havd laying around in the garage.  Otherwise it fit fine and held pressure completely.

I use a broom stick, I just can’t buy a tool I may use once or twice. I push brake pedal down put a pad on the seat back, put the broom stick on seat back and brake pedal bleed repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The motive power bleeder is NOT "universal".  If you go to their website, they list a number of different caps, based on make/year, because everyone doesn't use the same cap, and it has to fit very well or else you wind up just spraying brake fluid everywhere.

As a second note, if you use it, and try to follow the instructions in GM's full-service manual for pressure bleeding, the pressure that GM says to use can/will blow off the plastic cap they normally sell for GM's.  They make a billet-metal one that will stay on when under that pressure for a little more money...

Archived