Rock Protection/Skid Plates/Rock Sliders

Hey all, I am wanting to get my truck out on some trails and set up more for Overlanding. To protect my investment on this truck I am looking to add underbody protection and some side protection. I found a post a little while back with all the GM part numbers for all the skid plates. I can't seem to find that now and was hoping somebody would have a copy.

I am also looking for Rock Sliders. I for the life of me cannot find a company that makes them for my truck. I want wheel to wheel sliders, no need for steps but if the sliders stuck out far enough to be steps then thats a plus. I just don't want anything that will get stuck on a rock or stump because it sticks out. 

I have a 2017 Sierra 1500 Double Cab Regular Box (6'6).

gbFtCpH.jpg

• Like 1

They will give you better protection but not great, the replacement skid plates are thin aluminum.  They are about half the thickness of the ones that came stock on my 2002 Z71 but they are better than nothing.  On a side note, if you considering your truck an investment then I have bad news for you, it is a terrible investment because it will always be worth less than you paid for it.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tnchevy said:

They will give you better protection but not great, the replacement skid plates are thin aluminum.  They are about half the thickness of the ones that came stock on my 2002 Z71 but they are better than nothing.  On a side note, if you considering your truck an investment then I have bad news for you, it is a terrible investment because it will always be worth less than you paid for it.  

An investment in fun and good times. Of course it’s a money dumpster and won’t be worth nearly what I paid for it. 

• Like 2

No company makes real sliders for silverados, i think ADD has some "sliders" that bolt to the rocker panel...you could weld them direct to the chassis but that would void your warranty

i have the gm skids on front and they are solid....you would want a real skid for the gas tank too 

This being my third Z71 over the years I was dissapointed in the skid protection offered by GM for their "off road" truck but I knew it when I bought the truck and I knew I would eventually have to do something about it.  The skid plate kit is adequate but as mentioned above the gas tank could use something if your going to be in an area with large sharp rocks.  The whole kit (which is what I bought) came with the front, middle, and transfer case skid plate.  The Z71's already come with the transfer case plate so I sold it on fleabay.  The kit also comes with all the bolts you will need which are pricey on their own, about $8 a piece.

I also own a base model Jeep GC Laredo with the off road package and it came with thick steel plates that run the whole length of the vehicle.  How come Fiat can come closer to making a grocery getter a more off road capable vehicle than GM can with their trucks?

1 hour ago, tnchevy said:

This being my third Z71 over the years I was dissapointed in the skid protection offered by GM for their "off road" truck but I knew it when I bought the truck and I knew I would eventually have to do something about it.  The skid plate kit is adequate but as mentioned above the gas tank could use something if your going to be in an area with large sharp rocks.  The whole kit (which is what I bought) came with the front, middle, and transfer case skid plate.  The Z71's already come with the transfer case plate so I sold it on fleabay.  The kit also comes with all the bolts you will need which are pricey on their own, about $8 a piece.

I also own a base model Jeep GC Laredo with the off road package and it came with thick steel plates that run the whole length of the vehicle.  How come Fiat can come closer to making a grocery getter a more off road capable vehicle than GM can with their trucks?

Because the Jeep is more likely to leave the pavement than the trucks are and are more capable when doing so. They assume if the off road package is ordered there is a higher chance of them going off road as that is what all their commercials portray and they want to protect them selves from a liability. Most truck owners may stray in to a muddy field but most just run around looking pretty or a few others actually tow and haul.

Would it be nice to have those added things on our trucks? Yes, but I added it after for $150, no biggie. Since most wouldn't utilize it the cost for them to add it just isn't there as compared to the Jeep.

Tyler

I have found a few Rock Sliders for the crew cab but they only cover the cab length, leaving the bed of the truck to the wheel unprotected. I also have a double cab so am not sure if the mounting points would be the same.

I will probably end up getting the GM skid plates as all I have now is plastics. Then maybe fab my own for the rest of the truck. Start small with what I've got and work up from there. I know this truck will never be as versatile off road as a jeep wrangler, but protection is important and saves costly repair costs down the road. 

I will continue to look and will eventually end up sharing my results in the end. I have seen a few trucks out there with what I am looking for, I just haven't been able to ask them about it. I love my truck, I want to show her the love she deserves and take her new places.

6 hours ago, Robert Sutton said:

I will continue to look and will eventually end up sharing my results in the end. I love my truck, I want to show her the love she deserves and take her new places.

Happy valentines day

• 6 months later...

The stock skid plates on the z71 are trash, I learned that the hard way yesterday. Went to go do some scouting for deer season and ended up on a fairly rocky trail. A rock completely punctured the skid plate and left a gnarly hole. I'm planning on ordering the aluminum plates from GM and hopefully those will hold up a bit better. Anyone with them installed have any opinions on them? Are they pretty sturdy?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.chassisunlimited.com/product/armor-bumpers/chevy-gmc-armor/rock-slider-kit.html

Check these out.  They're the weld on kind (which are substantially better).  Measure the length you want and order them.  Only bad thing is the main bar is tubular and not squared as well as there's no kicker on the end.  The kicker looks weird but it's SUPER helpful on tight bends.  When I get back stateside, I'm either ordering some like these or I'm going to have them custom made.  Before I got deployed, I had a buddy up in LA that was willing to make me some customs ones for the small fee of some beer and I buy the supplies.  I kick myself for not doing it.