4cyl Silverado?

well one thing this new turbo does is blow to hell the old adage ...GM is slow to react , give them 10 years to catch up, oh GM is very conservative and plays it safe. Riddle me this now because who else has broken ground with a 4 cyl. turbo full size truck ? Are they 10 years behind and playing it conservative on this ?lol.

2 hours ago, Colossus said:

how weak can you get?  What a shame. 

It's definitely not something I'd expect either but it's hard to ignore it's diesel-like torque curve and even more surprising to me is the feedback from the publications that drove it commenting on how quick and seamless it is. I doubt it's the power plant I'd choose but GM will run away with the combination of power and fuel economy balance with this generation.  

Higher horsepower and torque than the V6 it replaces.

The 'GMAuthority' website says:

"The 2.7-liter turbo engine will be paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission and produce an SAE-certified 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque. Those figures handily outdo the V6 engine, which makes 285 hp and 305 lb-ft of torque. Chevrolet also said the turbo-four engine will provide greater fuel efficiency and a better power-to-weight ratio than the current truck’s LT variant"

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/05/2019-silverado-engines-chevrolet-announces-2-7l-turbo-four-cylinder-for-full-size-truck/#ixzz5Fu3fH5L3

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's an interesting idea and if gas prices continue to stay up then it might have a market. Considering I barely use my truck as a truck , this engine is a viable engine for me. But I would never get the first year version of it though. I would wait to see how it goes first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Part of me hopes the engine does end up being successful.  Sadly we live in a day and age now where the manufacturers must take drastic steps to improve the fuel economy on everything they sell in order to meet government mandates.  There is only so much fuel economy one can squeeze out of a high HP V8 engine.  I want GM to be successful, same with Ford and Dodge.  But that means making dependable vehicles with top of the line reliability.  If they provide that, then people will tend to speak highly about a brand and the name won't be tarnished.  It is how Crapota and Honda built their reputation of being the best vehicles out there.  It is how the Crapota Tundra is building the reputation of being the best 1/2 ton truck out there.