Discovered! Features you may not have known about...

As the title says.....

Post your "discoveries" about your truck that you didn't know about until you stumbled across them. Also post any helpful tips for the various features on these truck. Everyone wants to get the most enjoyment out of them. So let's help everyone out.

Keep on topic or it will be deleted. Discussion about features is ok. But try not to go far afield. We will edit some posts if necessary.

Try to be concise. Post pics if needed.

I'll post this as a sticky at the top of the section. We'll see what kind of traction it gets. It may not go anywhere and not be needed after all. But it was requested by a member so we'll have a shot at it.  if not much happens then it will be unpinned from the top and mix in with the rest of the threads.

Suggestions for a better title will be entertained. Send PM

Edited by txab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• txab pinned this topic

Here is one outside of the box....

For those of you that hate wearing your seat belt, and don't like dinging, you don't have to buy anything online, or cut up an old seatbelt.

Just go to your dealer, and tell them that your significant other can't fit in the seat belt. They will give you an extender for FREE as long as you are aware that it disables the seatbelt warning :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is probably a fairly obvious one, but it’s been asked about many times.

Power fold mirrors inward by holding the lock button on your key fob a couple seconds on the second click.

Edit to keep from adding another post:

Hold unlock for couple seconds on second click of the fob to roll windows down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Not quite Silverado/Sierra related but, 2015+Up Colorado/Canyon crew cab.  The backs of the rear seats fold down.  Just found that out last Sunday LOL.  Fold the headrests down, and pull the straps on each split of the seat and boom. 

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

I’m older ok, sure I used to buy upper model vehicles to get the latest technology. Saturation has been reached in my opinion. The last vehicle I bought was a base model, no stress. My phone does it all, music pandora, navigation, etc. blue tooth I’m happy. It’s made to drive, no wind noise smooth ride, a couple buttons, a dial or two and AC I’m happy. I don’t want it to talk to me or drive for me.

• Like 4

Hands free text With an iPhone. Must have phone synced with the truck.

you can press and hold the voice button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds until you hear the phone beep.

Then you can tell Siri to “text (insert contact name here)”.

She’ll ask what you want to say, you tell her.

She’ll read what you said back to you, and ask if you want to send.

You can say yes, or you can say edit if you want to change the text. Or you can say cancel.

After 8500 miles, I’ve discovered that you can precisely cut a piece of wood, drill a hole to insert a key ring in one end and hang it on the tab inside the gas cap.   And when you fill up with a gas nozzle that has the ratchet catch removed, you have a prop immediately available.   So you don’t have to stand there holding the handle while filling.   

This, after I discovered there wasn’t a gas cap to use for this purpose, like my ‘16 had.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I got that habit broke when I came around the passenger side of my truck after cleaning the windows and found gas coming out and running on the ground. I went through that tank worrying the check engine light would come on from over filling. I wait the few minutes and hang on to the handle.

I couldn't figure out what what going on when my high beams started turning on by themselves, I later found out that if you double tap the brights it turns the auto high beam feature on/off.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

I couldn't figure out what what going on when my high beams started turning on by themselves, I later found out that if you double tap the brights it turns the auto high beam feature on/off.
This also seems to disable if running the fog lamps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

For those who like to drift in the snow or need to turn off the traction control in sticky situations, hold down the traction control for about 5 seconds and the stabilitrak will also turn off, which turns off the traction control "even more". If stabilitrak is still on it will not let the wheels spin freely. This also works for other trucks as well, especially fords. This came in handy for the rental in colorado for doing donuts in the parking lot haha

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, Skeeter McSkeet said:

Hands free text With an iPhone. Must have phone synced with the truck.

you can press and hold the voice button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds until you hear the phone beep.

Then you can tell Siri to “text (insert contact name here)”.

She’ll ask what you want to say, you tell her.

She’ll read what you said back to you, and ask if you want to send.

You can say yes, or you can say edit if you want to change the text. Or you can say cancel.

love this option! Siri reads incoming texts also, which use to give the option to reply but no longer asks! Anyone else experience this?

Not sure what happened..... 

• Like 1

you can reset your oil life through the DIC. Go to the page displaying oil life, and hit the right arrow on the steering wheel.

I’ve been pressing the ole gas pedal the last 3.5+ years I’ve had the truck to reset it, until today lol!

• Like 7