Airaid Modular Intake Tube

i have this on my truck and dig it... i got it before the exhaust, and you could hear that v8 under the hood.... also did the drop in k/n air filter..... didnt know there was a mod...

.. post-161090-0-45531500-1483972614_thumb.jpg

Did it on my 015 I still run a Delco paper filter cause I live on gravel and GM has a Tech Bulletin out on “wet” style air filters supposedly sucking the filter oil though the intake and coating the MAF sensor causing CEL and transmission shift problems. Even though I doubt it would ever be the case unless your seriously over oiling the filter. I did mine before I did my exhaust with a stock filter  I could really hear it with heavy acceleration after doing exhaust the exhaust drowns it out now. I didn’t really notice any improvement in acceleration or MPGs with just the tube if that’s what your after. I do like how IMO it helps clean up the look of the engine compartment. Blackbear did a dyno test on a Yukon with the 6.2L and had minimal gains.

Results posted here 

http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp

I have the AIRAID 201-785 Jr. Intake Kit with Synthamax Dry Filter and agree with the above, you can hear it when you step down, but otherwise no real gains over looking a little better under the hood.  Go with a dry filter if you don't want to deal with the possibility of the MAF sensor getting oil on it.  I've used K&N (wet) filters in past vehicles and never had an issue, but I know it is a possibility, usually because when you re-oil it after cleaning people put too much on.

• 1 month later...

I just installed one of these.  It is not as loud as some reviews have claimed.  I had an AEM dry filter installed before added this, and I think most of my slight engine sound increase came from the filter.  I could not really tell much difference after I added this thing.  I am still on teh fence about it.  I think any improvements I thought I noticed were just wishful thinking.  My in town MPG is about the same, around 15-16.  I still need to take it out on the highway to see if it helps any at highway speeds.  Overall, I probably would not buy it again at this point, but I also dont have any reason to take it off.  It does look better under the hood than that contraption that was in there before.

On 5/30/2018 at 8:43 AM, Crstfr said:

i have this on my truck and dig it... i got it before the exhaust, and you could hear that v8 under the hood.... also did the drop in k/n air filter..... didnt know there was a mod...

.. post-161090-0-45531500-1483972614_thumb.jpg

I think I may end up getting one of these just to clean up the engine bay, if nothing else.

On 5/30/2018 at 8:57 AM, 2016LTCC said:

How do you like it? And what is this airbox mod you speak of?

The Airbox mod is simply enlarging the hole in the side of the airbox where it goes into the inner fender. The fender has a large hole stamped out of it, the stock air box for the 5.3 has a small hole.  I believe the stock airbox for the 6.2 has a larger intake hole to match the fender opening. 

I know the GM Performance air intake utilizes the entire opening in the fender. 

Edited by UnlimitedMatt
  • Like 1

I have one with the cut air box mod and drop in K&N.  not sure if it does anything, but at least I can see the front of the engine without taking the old tube out now 

Edited by qwank