Mexican vs American assembled trucks

My Mexican built ‘17 Sierra Elevation has no issues whatsoever. I have worked at many dealerships, and was always performing PDI’s (pre delivery inspections) for new vehicles, and know what to look for in terms of things missed on the assembly line. I am quite impressed with the quality of the build. 

My baby was born in Mexico. I'm pretty anal about things being straight and aligned. I haven't noticed any defects due to manufacturing. Now the paint is a different story, who doesn't have some chips on the front edge of the hood?

I agree - I was amazed at my CC's quality which was built in Mexico.  I can't find anything wrong with fit or finish, and have no rattles, noises, etc.  Same for the 5.3 which was also built there.  Of course it's not their fault if it has a crappy transmission (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang).  

In contrast, my previous truck, a F150 built in Dearborn has misaligned body parts all over the place, poor quality glass and a broken glovebox.  Not horrible, just a noticeable difference worth pointing out.  

I try not to imagine why anyone would think there would possibly be any quality difference between American vehicles assembled in Mexico, US or Canada.  There may be some economic - political issues but built quality is consistent with parent companies expectations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m3n00b said:

My Mexican is surprisingly well put together. Aside from a popping seat that the dealer was able to fix

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can I ask why you mentioned "surprisingly"   ?

I thought it was US built until about a week after I bought it and I found out it was foreign. I was worried about the build quality and am not woried anymore.

40 minutes ago, Styles_888 said:

In the 70s that might have been something I would have said.  But by time the 80s rolled around the big three was building absolute junk. If it wasnt for company's like Honda and Toyota and Datsun/Nissan we would be driving disposable cars now. Its unfortunate but the foreign manufactures have been leading the way and we have been chasing them ever since.

I am a loyal GM owner and have been for 40 years. For no reason really.

• Like 1

Been driving my Silao-built truck for 3,087 days now.  No worries whatsoever on assembly or paint quality.  The problems have been with the American-designed and built parts like the AFM-equipped 5.3L LC9 engine built in America and shipped to Silao for installation.  I too was dubious of a 'foreign' vehicle until it was explained to me like this: down in Guanajuato state in Mexico, a job in the GM plant is very desirable and pays a great wage for the area.  GM gets to select from the best people and people are waiting in line to get a job there, so they want to do a good job. 

Back when I had my '96 Impala SS, I saw a video of the Arlington TX plant where the car was assembled.  A lot of people standing around, joking, and grab-assing, and some of them actually acted offended when they had to quit clowning to work on a car coming down the line.  Given all the problems that American-built car had, that explained a lot to me.  

I would not hesitate for a second to buy another Silao-built vehicle.  

• Like 2

I guess you have never been to Mexico. I mean the real Mexico, no tourist Mexico.
Exactly. Mexiconisnt exactly known for producing quality goods.