Afternarket Diff covers

So I am re-gearing my rings and pinions to 4.56’s.  In the rear I have a 14 bolt 10.5 inch. I’ve noticed there is quiet the aftermarket for differential covers ranging from $40 to $280.  I don't tow or haul heavy, I trail crawl and overland.  Is there really a benefit to changing to an aftermarket cover?  And if so, is there really a more significant benefit to running one if the fancy gill or slotted type covers that seem to be the $280 range?  

I’ve always looked at them more as one of two thing:  first your OEM leaked so you replaced it, normal.  Or: as some kind of a “subtle” way to let people know you’ve cracked open your diff(s) and probably have “something” in there.  Attention seeking.

I put the Mag Hytec rear cover on my 17 2500HD when I re-geared to 4.56.  It looks cool hahahaha.  Functionally I really don't care about it's supposed benefits although I do tow with the truck.  It's a nice piece with an integrated o-ring seal and stainless fastners.  It has a dipstick and drain and fill plugs not that the diff doesn't have the drain and fill already.  You can fill the diff with 5 quarts I think it is but you need to relocate the breather into the axle tube to do so.  Otherwise with that high of level in the diff it will toss oil out the stock breather and all over under the truck.  I chose not to be bothered with that as 4 quarts in there is more than enough anyway in my opinion as that is more than a quart more than stock holds anyway.  

Like I said.... I did it cause I like how it looks and that's about it lol.  It's more for me though as t with the spare tire back there you really don't see it anyway.

On my other trucks I have girdled rear covers to help out in the strength department and also look cool but I didn't find a girdled one for the 10.5 so I went this route.... and the trucks with the girdled stuff aren't stockish 6 liters either.

You can leave the stock steel cover and be fine, guaranteed.

Edited by SierraHD17

Most of the aftermarket covers in the 200+ range are finned and supposed to help with cooling. And as stated, are O-ringed with better hardware. They also come with dipsticks and fills and drains which I think makes things easier for fluid changes instead of having to pull the cover. Most also come with extra ports for temp sensors and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gale Banks is doing some testing of aftermarket diff covers. I saw part 2 video on facebook, the results will be shared in part 3 coming soon. It was interesting that having too much oil actually caused hotter temps. I am going to put Lucas synthetic in when I change mine this winter and keep stock cover.

44 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

I want to find a trans pan with a drain for the 6L90.

8 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

PML makes one.

https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11036.php

If you don't like the price well too bad lol.

It who I used. Good stuff. 

Wasn't that hard to add a drain plug to the stock 4l80e pan.  I bought a generic drain plug and a nut that fit it, then with the pan off looked at where the drain could go where it wouldn't interfere with internal components, drilled the hole, welded the nut to the inside of the pan and done.

Can't wait for the actual test results of the Banks testing...

• Like 1

Wasn't that hard to add a drain plug to the stock 4l80e pan.  I bought a generic drain plug and a nut that fit it, then with the pan off looked at where the drain could go where it wouldn't interfere with internal components, drilled the hole, welded the nut to the inside of the pan and done.

Can't wait for the actual test results of the Banks testing...

It’s not just about having a drain plug, it’s about cooling fins, having more fluid for added cooling and a bonus of heavy duty magnets capturing gear shavings so as not reintroduced while in use, also about having a diff cover designed for handling off-road use if ever needed.

more fluid does not result in "added cooling".  More fluid means it takes longer for the temperature of all the fluid to change (both ways, getting warmer AND getting cooler).  And a larger trans cooler likely will make a bigger difference in trans temp vs fins on the trans cover (as it has air flow all the time, and air flow through the cooling stack is more than air under the truck [everyone tries to reduce air going under the truck, as it greatly increases drag on the vehicle]).

And what do you mean by "a diff cover designed for handling off-road use"?

So interesting follow up to my OP.  Bank Power is currently conducting tests on stock vs after market diff covers inregards to componet heat, oil heat and horse power to the wheels gains or loses.  They happen to be doing their tests with the 14 bolt.  Gale Banks hasn’t posted all the results yet, you can find parts 1 and 2 of 3 test videos on youtube.  From what he is saying so far, aftermarket diff covers that add oil capacity and change the flow of the oil based on the more squared shape do three things:  increase oil temps, increase componet temps and ultimately cause more drivetrain friction that reduces horse power to the wheels but they do look kinda cool.  

Check out his videos on the tests, very interesting, consistent and detailed. 

So interesting follow up to my OP.  Bank Power is currently conducting tests on stock vs after market diff covers inregards to componet heat, oil heat and horse power to the wheels gains or loses.  They happen to be doing their tests with the 14 bolt.  Gale Banks hasn’t posted all the results yet, you can find parts 1 and 2 of 3 test videos on youtube.  From what he is saying so far, aftermarket diff covers that add oil capacity and change the flow of the oil based on the more squared shape do three things:  increase oil temps, increase componet temps and ultimately cause more drivetrain friction that reduces horse power to the wheels but they do look kinda cool.  

Check out his videos on the tests, very interesting, consistent and detailed. 

It’s irrelevant what his independent unscientific findings say, that’s why he’s on YouTube. Besides, considering it’s already a proven fact that aftermarket diffs play a large roll in ALL Racing applications as well as race team personally found to add longevity to their drivetrain. Factory stamped steel diff covers are garbage that have even be known to peel off just with a simple rock scrape while 4x4’ing. I’ve personally found my new G2 covers give me easier maintenance with added protection from metal scrapings where as all Auto Manufacturers have lowest quality diff covers that rust and purchased from lowest bidder as well as made it harder for auto owners to service and maintain their own vehicle.