2019 Start Stop Disable Module

Do you have a new 2019 sierra or silverado?  Does it have the amazing start stop technology?  Do you hate it?  Well I can help you out!

My name is Matt, and I am an Electrical Engineer in the Albany, NY area.  I absolutely hate the start stop technology, but luckily enough GM was nice and put in a button to disable it in their trucks.  But wouldn't it be nice if it was the exact opposite, and the button could be used to enable it instead?  Who wants to press that button every time they start their truck to disable it?  I know I certainly don't want to.  

What I want to do is make a module, a very simple one that will be extremely small, and will plug into where the button is.  What this module will do is simply wait a couple seconds after the truck has been started, and it will mimic the button, and automatically turn the Start Stop off.  I can easily design this module, but need some help.

If somebody with the new truck could take some pictures for me of what the connector looks like going into the button, and do some electrical voltage measurements for the pinout, I can give them a free module in a few weeks to put in their truck.  I plan on selling and distributing these after I have designed them for roughly $125 a piece.  Everybody on this forum will get a discount though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Camario said:

Stupid question. But wouldn’t just unplugging the connector behind the auto start stop button create an open circuit hence disabling it ?

Hi Camario, probably not.  There is probably a cable that runs from the computer in the Truck, to the button.  And in order to disable the start stop, you have to send a voltage pulse (probably 12V) to the computer to disable the Start Stop.  Pressing the momentary button completes this circuit and sends the pulse to the computer.

I seriously can't see why pushing a button on shifting to M/L is so difficult that the wheel has to be re-invented to make a module to disable stop start.  I can disable it for free with those options and spend $125 on something more useful.   

13 minutes ago, Camario said:

Stupid question. But wouldn’t just unplugging the connector behind the auto start stop button create an open circuit hence disabling it ?

Probably set a check engine light. 

4 minutes ago, newdude said:

I seriously can't see why pushing a button on shifting to M/L is so difficult that the wheel has to be re-invented to make a module to disable stop start.  I can disable it for free with those options and spend $125 on something more useful.   

Probably set a check engine light. 

Hi thanks for the feedback.  Why do people have $1,000 cell phones when there are landlines everywhere?  Convenience my man, convenience.  I'd spend $125 on convenience.

• Like 1

My son just had to buy an expensive battery related to start-stop technology, one of two. I’ll just avoid buying vehicles with junk I don’t want as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

My son just had to buy an expensive battery related to start-stop technology, one of two. I’ll just avoid buying vehicles with junk I don’t want as long as possible.

Well, I am glad I got one and the Start-Stop works fine on my Truck.

3 hours ago, Mattb91193 said:

Do you have a new 2019 sierra or silverado?  Does it have the amazing start stop technology?  Do you hate it?  Well I can help you out!

My name is Matt, and I am an Electrical Engineer in the Albany, NY area.  I absolutely hate the start stop technology, but luckily enough GM was nice and put in a button to disable it in their trucks.  But wouldn't it be nice if it was the exact opposite, and the button could be used to enable it instead?  Who wants to press that button every time they start their truck to disable it?  I know I certainly don't want to.  

What I want to do is make a module, a very simple one that will be extremely small, and will plug into where the button is.  What this module will do is simply wait a couple seconds after the truck has been started, and it will mimic the button, and automatically turn the Start Stop off.  I can easily design this module, but need some help.

If somebody with the new truck could take some pictures for me of what the connector looks like going into the button, and do some electrical voltage measurements for the pinout, I can give them a free module in a few weeks to put in their truck.  I plan on selling and distributing these after I have designed them for roughly $125 a piece.  Everybody on this forum will get a discount though.

You obviously don't have and don't have access to a 2019 and I doubt you're a vendor. Instead you want someone else to do the legwork and possibly damage something so you can remotely figure out how it works and then you can repackage a simple timer board and sell it for $125.

Do your own research and then make a product.  

I'm sure your logic is sound as I posted a month ago that this is really all that's needed.  That button is probably just supplying a wet or dry closure that will toggle the state.  Perhaps it's providing a path to ground.  Simple as throwing a simple timer board in that's delayed based upon ignition power.  But there are a lot of variables here and until it's done by someone who knows what they're doing AND has access to a truck - there is a pretty good probability that nothing good will come from this.  

Edited by shift_grind

Well, I am glad I got one and the Start-Stop works fine on my Truck.

You will until the starter goes out, and replace the battery that cost 400$ and realized that’s one of two. And just how much gas does that technology save? Just more stuff to fail, just like cylinder deactivation. No thanks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

You obviously don't have and don't have access to a 2019 and I doubt you're a vendor. Instead you want someone else to do the legwork and possibly damage something so you can remotely figure out how it works and then you can repackage a simple timer board and sell it for $125.

Do your own research and then make a product.  

I'm sure your logic is sound as I posted a month ago that this is really all that's needed.  That button is probably just supply a wet or dry closure that will toggle the state.  Perhaps it's providing a path to ground.  Simple as throwing a simple timer board in that's delayed based upon ignition power.  But there are a lot if variables here and until it's done by someone who knows what they're doing AND has access to a truck - there is a pretty good probability that nothing good will come from this.  

Hey man thanks for your opinion.  I get paid a lot of money on a daily basis to do stuff a lot more complicated than this.  I can design and write all the code for the computer in the truck.  I can actually design all of the electronics in the truck if I wanted to.

This is a 10 minute simple job, and if you think opening and closing a relay (simulates pressing the button) on a nicely packaged, circuit board and enclosure will ruin somebody's truck ... you're just ignorant and misinformed.  Which is okay. Just go spend $200k on an engineering degree like me and you'll know how to do it yourself like I do.

I will make this module, and it will work.  End of story.  I just need somebody who wants to help.  And if it isn't you, I don't want to hear the negativity.

• Like 1

Just like the famous Rodney King once said.....   " Can't We All Just Get Along ? "   :thumbs:

Mattb,

As a new member you will receive plenty of responses both positive and negative.

The best way to combat negative feedback is to ignore it and not reply or engage the poster. Good luck! :)

LOL... half you guys have been crying for months about this new start/stop stuff.  Now someone comes and offers to help find solution... and he gets blasted.  Tough crowd....

Edited by GMC-AT
  • Haha 3

And to those that say " I'll never have this start/stop crap"  ... get comfortable with your current truck.. because every truck by 2020 will have it.  All the big 3 already do... not sure about Nissan and Toyota.