T1 6.2 letdown?

Not a particularly strong showing for the new dynamic fire 6.2 here... I'm hoping TFL and whatever other press fleet that have been driving the truck have merely been inadvertently putting regular in the truck. If not, there seems to be issues. Either the new 6.2 is overrated on its power numbers by GM, or the 10 spd tuning and torque management is totally neutering it. I mean come on, the Titan gives up 66 lb ft of torque to the GM 6.2. 

There is another youtube video of a new 6.2 denali that appears to be much slower than the outgoing L86 K2. Seems to be in the mid 6 second 0-60 range. Am i the only who feels like this is slower?

• Like 1

Oh and also, someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Titan is heavier than the new GM too I believe. Not sure about the Ram since it's a quad cab and not a full crew. I know the Dodge crew is heavier, so figure a few lbs trimmed off for the cab on the quad cab and it is probably pretty close in weight to the GM.

You would assume the new truck would be faster than last gen with 400+ lbs weight loss and the 10 speed has a 4.70 1st gear but maybe this is just another ding to the new trucks along with the interior.

I'm guessing the GMC driver didn't know how to launch it.  It seems that he may have left traction control on. If I leave traction control on and launch hard in 4wd it still boggs down or hesitates a bit on launch.  If I turn traction control off and launch hard in 4wd it will chirp all four (three) tires. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

I'm guessing the GMC driver didn't know how to launch it.  It seems that he may have left traction control on. If I leave traction control on and launch hard in 4wd it still boggs down or hesitates a bit on launch.  If I turn traction control off and launch hard in 4wd it will chirp all four (three) tires. 

Valid point because Andre certainly got a much better launch on the 3rd race with the Titan. However, setting that aside, dont you think the 6.2 should pull away in the mid range and top end though? The trucks were literally like neck and neck the whole way with neither pulling away.

2 things here.

1. TFL are morons mostly. Watch their videos. These guys are trying, but have no clue. Mr. Truck, Roman, and Andre are dipsticks, not to forget Nathan.

2. GM truck team are morons for bringing a newly designed engine to market with exactly the same numbers. What a coincidence. Who cares about weight savings, more power.

Sent via Morse code

Prob had the Sierra in Touring Mode, Traction on, and they even said they think all the safety features were messing with it, and "seeing" the flagger and not letting the truck leave as hard. They also said that if they did NOT brake torque the engine and just floored it, it was alot faster. 

Put it in Off Road Mode, turn off Traction, and maybe disable as many safety things as you can and it'll prob get even faster.

22 minutes ago, Payton34 said:

You would assume the new truck would be faster than last gen with 400+ lbs weight loss and the 10 speed has a 4.70 1st gear but maybe this is just another ding to the new trucks along with the interior.

Thats the Camaro.  Pretty sure mine is a 3.23, I think he mentioned it in the video as well. 

10 minutes ago, MadCaddie said:

Thats the Camaro.  Pretty sure mine is a 3.23, I think he mentioned it in the video as well. 

I am not referring to the final drive axle ratio.  The 1st gear ratio in the trans is 4.70 for the 10 spd and the 8 spd was 4.56.

2018-11-01_16-11-04.png

Edited by Payton34

TC or not.. that is weak for a 6.2 -  he should smoke those other two. Maybe the new 10 speed is the issue.. not sure.  But you would think it would be faster with the 400lb weight loss.

I'm betting the T1 6.2 isn't that much faster than a T1 5.3 w/ 8 speed.  

36 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

Valid point because Andre certainly got a much better launch on the 3rd race with the Titan. However, setting that aside, dont you think the 6.2 should pull away in the mid range and top end though? The trucks were literally like neck and neck the whole way with neither pulling away.

Good point, at no time should it be that close with these trucks.  

Someone needs to get one of these T1's on the dyno! I am really curious to see if GM is fudging power numbers. What if, say, the new dynamic skip fire 6.2 only makes 400ish for some reason. Well there is no way GM could market a brand new fully redesigned truck as having less power than its outgoing predecessor... So they simply keep the ratings the same at 420. I dont know, something just seems fishy to me.