Rear window leak

Demon

1 hour ago, 19TrailBoss said:

So my entire window was replaced in September, seemed good for 6 months, now rear window is leaking again... Fu@k!!!! I love this truck except for this damn rear window!

Is the problem isolated to just those of us with the rear sliding glass?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Can you please tell us the model number of the Second window that Leaked? Ie vitro vs fayuo and the numbers beside it? 

3 hours ago, tbare54 said:

Anyone had there headliner replaced recently because of the rear window leak? Just curious how long they had to wait for one to come in, dealership is telling me no idea , they are saying none in the country available.

Took my window and headliner 60 days to come in. The first three caulking jobs took 19 days. Both showed national backorder. As soon as your vehicle qualifies for lemon law go ahead and contact a lawyer. They suddenly had my headliner delivered about a week and a half after   Receiving my lemon law notice. 

• Like 1

I just can't believe GM isn't more concerned about this.  There could potentially be thousands of 2019/2020 Silverados and Sierras out there in the future that are worthless because the rear window leaks constantly.  I was hoping the new window installations would fix the problem, but it sounds like those are failing now too.

I'm bringing my truck into the dealer Monday morning to have the TSB done, but at this point, it sounds like nothing works.  I am almost hoping my leak persists so that I can submit a lemon law claim and walk away from the truck.  It sucks too, because I like everything else about the truck ... but this is a pretty significant problem.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TFB said:

I just can't believe GM isn't more concerned about this.  There could potentially be thousands of 2019/2020 Silverados and Sierras out there in the future that are worthless because the rear window leaks constantly.  I was hoping the new window installations would fix the problem, but it sounds like those are failing now too.

I'm bringing my truck into the dealer Monday morning to have the TSB done, but at this point, it sounds like nothing works.  I am almost hoping my leak persists so that I can submit a lemon law claim and walk away from the truck.  It sucks too, because I like everything else about the truck ... but this is a pretty significant problem.

The TSB is useless if the glass frame is cracked.

I would push for a new window installed by a glass company

1 hour ago, Tomtom87 said:

The TSB is useless if the glass frame is cracked.

I would push for a new window installed by a glass company

Here is the language from the TSB:

"Important: When verifying this condition, ensure that the water leak path is due to cracks in the rear sliding window plastic upper rail glass guide, and NOT a leak in the primary urethane seal, between the window and the body; or from the spoiler attachments to the truck cab which are in the same area.

Please indicate power sliding rear window crack in warranty claim verbiage.  A leak in the primary urethane seal should be addressed by removing and resealing the window, using the standard service procedure from SI.

R & R the roof rear spoiler and apply seam sealer to the rear sliding window top encapsulate, following the steps in the Service Procedure below."

So, it looks like it does address removing the window if that seal is determined to be the source of the leak.  We'll see.  As an engineer, whenever you redesign something, it should be tested.  How GM didn't catch this when testing the 2019 redesign is amazing and inexcusable.

Update, update. My truck is back home. 9 days in the shop this round. If you remember I took it in 5 days after a new window was installed after I found wet carpet. They pulled all the carpet, made sure everything was dry, ran several water tests and declare my truck ready to roll without finding any evidence of a leak. That wet carpet had to get wet somehow. I'm sure it is not fixed, but time will tell. On a positive note. My dealership seems to do a pretty good job and I rally like the service manager, he acts like he wants to help. This is a small dealership in a pretty large town. The only GMC dealership in town. They have Sierra's sitting around everywhere to be worked on. He told me, they are getting pretty good at dealing with spoiler removal and install. Sad!

Edited by Jamie73

Update, update. My truck is back home. 9 days in the shop this round. If you remember I took it in 5 days after a new window was installed after I found wet carpet. They pulled all the carpet, made sure everything was dry, ran several water tests and declare my truck ready to roll without finding any evidence of a leak. That wet carpet had to get wet somehow. I'm sure it is not fixed, but time will tell. On a positive note. My dealership seems to do a pretty good job and I rally like the service manager, he acts like he wants to help. This is a small dealership in a pretty large town. The only GMC dealership in town. They have Sierra's sitting around everywhere to be worked on. He told me, they are getting pretty good at dealing with spoiler removal and install. Sad!

Agreed, my service advisor said “I’m not on the forums but if it’s multiplied by the amount of trucks we’ve had in here for the rear window, this problem is bad”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I shared this issue in the comments of TFL's recent YouTube video today comparing their new 19 TB to a 6.2 RST asking if they were aware of this problem with a link to this thread and random some dude called me a troll for posting about this issue. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've had my 2020 Sierra for 2 weeks. Washed it in in a commercial car wash twice and had some pretty heavy rain and snow here. So far no leaks. I'm nervously watching my window and this thread.

6 minutes ago, Buellx72 said:

I've had my 2020 Sierra for 2 weeks. Washed it in in a commercial car wash twice and had some pretty heavy rain and snow here. So far no leaks. I'm nervously watching my window and this thread.

I got my 20 in November. It's rained over 6 inches here since Jan 1. So far so good. At least mine is a lease so I won't have to keep it if it does.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:06 PM, Jamie73 said:

Another update! While I do like my dealership and the service manager my confidnce with them is starting to plummet. Picked up my truck Friday afternoon. Not feeling real confident because nothing was done to fix the issue. We had some nice weather yesterday and my truck was dirty from sitting at the dealership so I decided to give it a wash. You guessed it,  just an easy hand wash with a normal water hose, not more water on the  window or no less. And I have a leaking rear window. I stuffed a blue heavy duty paper towel into the sliding window track, this is the area I found water last time and told the dealership that. After washing a drying the truck I checked the paper towel and it was soaked. By looking at those pictures of the soaked paper towel, can you imagine how much water would enter the cab if the truck was sitting the the rain for a few days. Back to the shop tomorrow. I am quickly moving toward the Alabama Lemon Law requirements.

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamie73 said:

Another update! While I do like my dealership and the service manager my confidnce with them is starting to plummet. Picked up my truck Friday afternoon. Not feeling real confident because nothing was done to fix the issue. We had some nice weather yesterday and my truck was dirty from sitting at the dealership so I decided to give it a wash. You guessed it,  just an easy hand wash with a normal water hose, not more water on the  window or no less. And I have a leaking rear window. I stuffed a blue heavy duty paper towel into the sliding window track, this is the area I found water last time and told the dealership that. After washing a drying the truck I checked the paper towel and it was soaked. By looking at those pictures of the soaked paper towel, can you imagine how much water would enter the cab if the truck was sitting the the rain for a few days. Back to the shop tomorrow. I am quickly moving toward the Alabama Lemon Law requirements.

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

Man, that is disappointing. I had mine repairEd weeks Ago and haven’t had any issues through heavy rains and multiple car washes.

like I was saying earlier, a lot of this is due to incompetence of the service department. Mine has been great so far. I went in with the info from this thread and told them exactly what I wanted done. They brought in an outside professional and had the warranty work done right with no questions asked. I’d try a different dealership. Make sure you research their service department thoroughly!