Rear window leak

Demon

56 minutes ago, SamDSJR said:

For all you guys that have been posting recently (after page 80 or so....) Can you all post your build dates and model years as well? I (and my lawyer) who monitors this page would like to keep track of how bad the problem is (is it continuing into the 2020 model year.) I think it will help us all eventually. I know some people have said they have a 2020 leaking, and I know there's even a couple 2500 2020's leaking too.

2019 Sierra SLT. Built in Mexico 07/2019. Discovered window leak beginning of 02/20.

Entire window assembly has been replaced with the new updated window part number. Keeping a constant eye for any new leaks

Picked up my '19 LTZ Z71 yesterday from dealer for recalls and rear window leak.  They told me it was the spoiler but when I picked it up I ended up with a shitty sealer job along the top of the rear window.  They couldn't get the water stain out of the headliner so they have one on back order for me. 

What do you guys recommend as the correct remedy for the crummy sealer job?  Can they properly correct it? Can the sealer be removed?  Or do they need to replace the rear window?  I assume taking out the rear window puts the window frame at risk of cracking (if it hasn't already).  Should I demand a new rear window when they do the headliner?  Appreciate any input.

55 minutes ago, curtisrb15 said:

Picked up my '19 LTZ Z71 yesterday from dealer for recalls and rear window leak.  They told me it was the spoiler but when I picked it up I ended up with a shitty sealer job along the top of the rear window.  They couldn't get the water stain out of the headliner so they have one on back order for me. 

What do you guys recommend as the correct remedy for the crummy sealer job?  Can they properly correct it? Can the sealer be removed?  Or do they need to replace the rear window?  I assume taking out the rear window puts the window frame at risk of cracking (if it hasn't already).  Should I demand a new rear window when they do the headliner?  Appreciate any input.

At the point some of you guys are at i would fix it with a brick through the back window.:P

On a serious note, it sounds to me like your dealer is not all that good, talk to your service manager and if he finds the job you find unacceptable, well acceptable. Then my advice would be to go find another dealer to work with and yes a new window replacement is what i would be demanding for the simply fact it takes that work out of the hands of the dealer oil change tech's, as i believe a glass place would have to be used for install. Most likely the real reason gm is trying to fix this problem with bubble gum.

19 hours ago, SamDSJR said:

For all you guys that have been posting recently (after page 80 or so....) Can you all post your build dates and model years as well? I (and my lawyer) who monitors this page would like to keep track of how bad the problem is (is it continuing into the 2020 model year.) I think it will help us all eventually. I know some people have said they have a 2020 leaking, and I know there's even a couple 2500 2020's leaking too.

2020 Silverado LT Trail Boss.  September 2019 build (Mexico).  Purchased on 10 January 2020 and the leak showed up one month later right around 1,000 miles.

I've also got the leak on a 2019 AT4.  Took it to the dealer on Monday for recalls as well as the window leak.  The window is on back order so they had me pick my truck up while we wait for the window.  It's winter with no precipitation in the forecast so I'm fine there.  They have their glass department remove and install a new window.  Hopefully I'm good to go once they get the new window installed.  Side note - I did not have any damage to the headliner or floor.  Leak must not be as bad as others.  Also the headliner is black so it wouldn't show like a gray one would.

2 hours ago, PackerChev said:

I've also got the leak on a 2019 AT4.  Took it to the dealer on Monday for recalls as well as the window leak.  The window is on back order so they had me pick my truck up while we wait for the window.  It's winter with no precipitation in the forecast so I'm fine there.  They have their glass department remove and install a new window.  Hopefully I'm good to go once they get the new window installed.  Side note - I did not have any damage to the headliner or floor.  Leak must not be as bad as others.  Also the headliner is black so it wouldn't show like a gray one would.

Some new windows are leaking as well. I drove mine about 25 miles before i discovered it leaking again. Currently waiting on another window. And I did have the new model window installed the first time around by a glass expert.

2 minutes ago, Jamie73 said:

Some new windows are leaking as well. I drove mine about 25 miles before i discovered it leaking again. Currently waiting on another window. And I did have the new model window installed the first time around by a glass expert.

That's super frustrating.  

1 hour ago, Jamie73 said:

Apparently he wasn’t an expert... 

58 minutes ago, TheTicketTX said:

Apparently he wasn’t an expert... 

You are correct. I guess if he were an expert the glass would not leak. Same skill level as the robot that installed my window the first time on the assembly line. I should have said, installed by a glass company in town that has a very good reputation.

Update on my truck today after spending another 3 days at the dealership. Apparently SafeLite resealed my replacement rear window again today. When asked if they saw anything noticably wrong with the rear window or if they were just blindly resealing, the advisor basically told me they were blindly resealing it... Needless to say I'm not real confident in the "fix" and formally filed a complaint with Chevy to see what my options were. I believe I owe less on the truck than I could get at trade in, but we'll see...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You can add me to the club. 2019 RST 4/19 build date with ~15,000 miles. Taking my truck to the dealership tomorrow. Took a bunch of pictures today so if something looks bad when they finish I can show them and ask them to fix it. Absolutely love this truck except for the leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Someone on the Facebook group joined the rear window leak club at 42,000 miles on a denali. Now to pay for a window caulk job outside of warranty. THAT really blows twice as hard498a7a682d27968cf54ee56c1cda4e00.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

At that point i would be trading it in, taking a loss, and never looking at gm again. Yes most dealers will tell you to pound sand once you are past that 36k, it will take years of fighting like the brake booster issue and how many were out a grand plus fixing that flawed part.

Okay fellows, I got a new one for you, have not heard this until I just got a phone call from the dealership. My truck is sitting at the dealership after finding water pooling up in the sliding glass track, after just an easy hand wash, enough to completey soak a heavy duty paper towel. This was a couple of days after my new window was installed. The service manager just called and said, yes, you are correct there is water coming in at that area, but it is going no further and is draining back out. He said he did several water tests on my truck,  tested several others  in the service department and a couple of new ones sitting on the lot. all of them did the same thing. He has done a Field Product Report and submitted it to GMC. He still could not explain how my carpet got wet, but assured me my carpet was dry after all the testing. So, I asked him, what do I do now? Come get it and hope for the best? And of course his answer was yes. Not feeling very confident, but I am very close to lemon law in my state and have my lawyer ready to roll if I hit the requirements. Stay tuned.