Rear window leak

Demon

9 minutes ago, cltsig said:

Thomcat, I appreciate and respect your feedback, positive outlook and faith in GM engineering and I hope you as well as most others never get this leak.  GM engineering does get most things right (6.2 rocks, 10 speed tranny is absolutely perfect for my tastes, etc.).  However, after owning a 2016 Yukon Denali that was stellar in every way except low speed booming and random high speed vibrations, I have a bit more skepticism.  I was close to buying a K2 but feared the dreaded Chevy shake not because of the shake in and of itself, but how it was unfixable and how GM treated those that had it.  "Denied, within spec". I see the same thing going on here.  Issue identified,->GM proposes band aid fix to both keep warranty costs down and run out the clock on the warranty-->customers dissatisfied-->online ranting--> sales steady so who cares, etc.  Typical GM new product launch: inadequate body integrity and NVH engineering, inadequate testing, customer failures mounting and band aid fix.  

Personally I am glad I had the leak and had it fixed but I am not entirely pleased it was fixed with caulk.  I sleep easier at night knowing my truck does not leak.  It took my truck over a year to leak.  Fort Wayne, Oct/Nov 2018 build.

I'm just amazed these cheap pieces of crap run as well as they do. I have no faith in GM engineering whatsoever! These are not works of art, they are quickly designed according to info from designers and focus groups, with preproduction quality assurance and QA techniques with the ability to spot a potential problem by engineers that couldn't find a their ass with both hands in a closet and assembled by mindless robots using thousands of parts from the lowest level bidders around the World.  They cost more than what my first house cost but are still cheap comparatively speaking. Back in the 50s  my father with a family of 6 was lucky enough to have one car, and it had to be bought with cash and had to save for 3 years to buy it. Today I've got 3 cars for 2 people and I can walk out with another one in 5 minutes with just a signature on a promissory note. My first house just went for 16 times what I paid for it in the 60s and my $2K '60 Chevy Impala nowadays goes for $40K and $35 oz gold goes for $1600/oz. So, yeah the trucks cost $50K, but $50K is cheap generationally speaking and this is what you get for cheap......you pays your dime and you takes your chance. My K2 was as smooth as silk, but that was the luck of the draw....could just as easily been a shaker and if it was I wouldn't have it long enough to complain about it to dealers that have already taken your money and couldn't give a $hit.

It's not that I don't care, just at a point in my life where I don't have the time left to live it out the balance of it getting aggravated with some things that are not life altering problems and can be solved by simply getting rid of something when it pi$$es me off......of course with the caveat that my wife for 49 years and 16 year old dog are excluded from this concept.

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

There is no proof that they will all eventually leak, just like the fact that everyone will not catch the flu. In fact the majority of those polled on a post on this forum, which unfortunately fails to capture the specific production facility, indicates just the opposite. Only "proof" is the hope, bad luck and tears of those who got stuck with one that leaks wishing that others will be just as unfortunate to justify their unfounded speculation that somehow everyone will eventually equally suffer.

Ft. Wayne USA production, dry as a bone and been through many high speed runs in mountain thunderstorms. Don't high pressure car wash, don't leak, don't have any 8 speed transmission problems, don't have any other complaints.......only vrrrooooom, vrrrooooom.

If you are stuck with one and want yours fixed correctly find a responsible dealer even if you have to waste a tank of gas to find one and give him a copy of the TSB on the leak issue which he should already have and be aware. Can't just let some jerk blindly loose with a caulking gun and hope for the best. Note that the window alone may not be the problem and the holes anchoring the spoiler should also be examined or they may fix one leak and fail to correct another.

TSB Silverado window leak.pdf 1.15 MB · 5 downloads

I agree that not all will leak.  Mine did (Ft Wayne 12/2018).  But back to the original issue, why pay new truck money on a truck that already leaks on the lot! 

I would never recommend that.  

I also agree it is so dealer dependent.  My first one was garbage and you could tell the truck was not taken care of.  The second was much better and treated with kid gloves after corporate got involved - but it shouldn’t have come to that in the first place! 

I almost bought a new 2019 Sierra AT4 today, it had 11 miles on it.  I had read this forum as part of researching.  I noticed that there looked to be water spots on the inside of the rear window.  I had the salesman take it through the car wash.  There was a stream of water down the back window.  They said that they had never heard of this before, but were going to apply caulk and for me to come back tomorrow.

The price sounds like a good deal, but I don't know if I want to mess with the potential problems that ya'll are having.  My current truck is a 2014 Sierra with 234,000 miles, I'm debating about seeing how long it will go before it breaks down.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

James
Hey if the dealer wants to knock another 5k off because of the leak... Go for it. Honestly though you would be better off getting a 2020 with a 10 speed. The 8 speed in the 19 is hit or miss if you get a good one or bad one

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Day 35 on my windows leak and I got it back yesterday.  They did the caulking job, replaced the headliner and detailed it totally.   I went over it with a  fine toothed comb and it all looks good EXCEPT they broke the hinges on the storage compartments under the back seat.  They didn't hassle me at all and ordered replacements under warranty ( back order also).   I will be checking for leaks but it did get rained on multiple times and no issue yet.   I'm still waiting from GM to hear how they want to compensate for all of this.   They also did 4 or 5 recalls on the truck while it was in there.  I figure they owe me the equivalent of a car payment so I asked them to simply give a 6\100k  bumper to bumper extended warranty, this will cost them $0 and give me peace of mind.   We will see what happens.   Keep in mind the first time they tried to return it the headliner was still horrible and the seats had grease marks on them in multiple places.  

Smitty

I almost bought a new 2019 Sierra AT4 today, it had 11 miles on it.  I had read this forum as part of researching.  I noticed that there looked to be water spots on the inside of the rear window.  I had the salesman take it through the car wash.  There was a stream of water down the back window.  They said that they had never heard of this before, but were going to apply caulk and for me to come back tomorrow.

The price sounds like a good deal, but I don't know if I want to mess with the potential problems that ya'll are having.  My current truck is a 2014 Sierra with 234,000 miles, I'm debating about seeing how long it will go before it breaks down.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

James
Run like hell!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Jamie73 said:

Okay fellows, I got a new one for you, have not heard this until I just got a phone call from the dealership. My truck is sitting at the dealership after finding water pooling up in the sliding glass track, after just an easy hand wash, enough to completey soak a heavy duty paper towel. This was a couple of days after my new window was installed. The service manager just called and said, yes, you are correct there is water coming in at that area, but it is going no further and is draining back out. He said he did several water tests on my truck,  tested several others  in the service department and a couple of new ones sitting on the lot. all of them did the same thing. He has done a Field Product Report and submitted it to GMC. He still could not explain how my carpet got wet, but assured me my carpet was dry after all the testing. So, I asked him, what do I do now? Come get it and hope for the best? And of course his answer was yes. Not feeling very confident, but I am very close to lemon law in my state and have my lawyer ready to roll if I hit the requirements. Stay tuned.

Just a little update after the strange diagnosis I got from my service manager yesterday. He did show me, and gave me a copy for my own records, of the Field Product Report that he submitted to GM. It states that all 4 trucks he water tested had water pool in the sliding glass window channel. So I asked him, when I bring my truck back with wet carpet again what are you going to do then? He said, I don't know? Damn. He said he hopes GM will give him a solution. 

good luck.  If you had a loaner or rental they claim your not owed anything at all.  They did offer me a $100 gm service voucher credit.  Then they offered me a month of onstar, then 6 months, then a year.  Then they said they could give me 5yr 60k extended warranty.  I told them I have a 5yr 100k gm warranty.  of course they told me that I didn't and after 36k miles I would be without warranty. Like I said, Good Luck.  They promised me the world and now claim they don't do anything like that.  

• Like 2

Just now, JohnCasey said:

good luck.  If you had a loaner or rental they claim your not owed anything at all.  They did offer me a $100 gm service voucher credit.  Then they offered me a month of onstar, then 6 months, then a year.  Then they said they could give me 5yr 60k extended warranty.  I told them I have a 5yr 100k gm warranty.  of course they told me that I didn't and after 36k miles I would be without warranty. Like I said, Good Luck.  They promised me the world and now claim they don't do anything like that.  

Just to let you know if you already had bought a extended gmpp warranty you can have it credited and then take their free one. I did this back in 2006 with my 2005 silverado that had the steering shaft issue which i don't think they have still fixed haha. But i was able to get nearly full credit for my warranty that i had bought which was just credited back to my loan.

Unless your 5 yr - 100k is the powertrain because i didn't think gm offered a warranty with a term like that. I believe the one they gave me was a 7 year 80k gmpp, i would think if you bought that warranty with a 100k limit it would extend past 5 years.

58 minutes ago, JohnCasey said:

I was given the warranty from the aftersales regional manager after the first week of my 79 days out of service.  I have received no other proof of this other than being copied in an email from the manager to the dealership.  

Your service manager should be able to pull up and see if you truck has a extended warranty listed past your 3/36 bumper to bumper or you can possible call the gm 800 number but gm should have a record of your truck being under warranty till whatever he gave you, like i said though i don't even remember seeing gmpp plans give only 5 years with a 100k. I'm thinking your after sales guy might of extended only your powertrain warranty which is much much different and covers a whole lot less because they use to be 5/100 but i thought they revised it way lower after the 2014 or 15 model year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Has anyone had their window replaced with or did it come stock with the FUYAO (E4) 43R-000072 window and have this exact one leak?

There have been reports of the FUYAO E2 and the VITRO E9 leaking, but not sure I've seen the FUYAO E4 leak?

I have this window and mine is leaking

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Has anyone had their window replaced with or did it come stock with the FUYAO (E4) 43R-000072 window and have this exact one leak?

There have been reports of the FUYAO E2 and the VITRO E9 leaking, but not sure I've seen the FUYAO E4 leak?

That was my replacement window that started leaking immediately, in the channel of the sliding glass.

• Sad 1