Rear window leak

Demon

2 minutes ago, bobboberton1 said:

Is everyone getting replacement glass? Has anyone had an explanation of the repair? My dealer is stating they will reuse the same glass. 

The TSB states to caulk the window first. If it re-leaks, replace the window. 

Not to give you a hard time, but we have a lot of new people coming to this thread and asking the same questions that are answered in it.

TLDR, I get it, but if you have this problem, it would behoove you to read the 1800 posts.

• Like 3

My dealership told me that GM engineering informed them that the rear window were a one time use.  If the caulking job didn't work they could not reuse the old window. This was after trying to caulk the window 3 times.

Edited by JohnCasey

2 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

The TSB states to caulk the window first. If it re-leaks, replace the window. 

Not to give you a hard time, but we have a lot of new people coming to this thread and asking the same questions that are answered in it.

TLDR, I get it, but if you have this problem, it would behoove you to read the 1800 posts.

UGADawgs; I agree and understand completely what you are saying. I’ve read all the posts over the past several days as I had done all my homework and was planning to purchase a new truck this month. I was shocked to find this post and if GM is following this please be aware you should do something to resolve it.  But I’m still not aware of a consistent repair method resulting in a permanent fix for this issue. Yes, as many of you fine folks say that a “quality dealership”  that knows what they are doing can/will fix it but what is that fix? Sealant or new window + frame? I’m kind of in a bind as our local dealer has a horrible reputation, extremely limited supply of vehicles so I was planning to visit Everett GMC (based on positive comments I’ve read here) which is 7 hours away. So I can’t afford to run to Everett GMC with ongoing leaking issues. So unless I’m missing something the dealer repairs are hit and miss and even with a brand new 2020 there’s still no guarantee it won’t leak. That’s a $60,000+ gamble I can’t afford to take. Please tell me I’m wrong or missing something? Thanks in advance. 

4 minutes ago, D A said:

UGADawgs; I agree and understand completely what you are saying. I’ve read all the posts over the past several days as I had done all my homework and was planning to purchase a new truck this month. I was shocked to find this post and if GM is following this please be aware you should do something to resolve it.  But I’m still not aware of a consistent repair method resulting in a permanent fix for this issue. Yes, as many of you fine folks say that a “quality dealership”  that knows what they are doing can/will fix it but what is that fix? Sealant or new window + frame? I’m kind of in a bind as our local dealer has a horrible reputation, extremely limited supply of vehicles so I was planning to visit Everett GMC (based on positive comments I’ve read here) which is 7 hours away. So I can’t afford to run to Everett GMC with ongoing leaking issues. So unless I’m missing something the dealer repairs are hit and miss and even with a brand new 2020 there’s still no guarantee it won’t leak. That’s a $60,000+ gamble I can’t afford to take. Please tell me I’m wrong or missing something? Thanks in advance. 

You got it 100%. If I were you, I'd hold off making a purchase until GM comes clean on what went wrong and what change they made with FUYAO E4 and/or what they are doing to fix this widespread issue. This isn't some bad power steering pump or infotainment system, issue. This is a leaking window causing collateral damage and multiple return trips to dealers with half baked fixes. 

• Like 1

GM coming clean ain’t ever gonna happen. Design changes usually happen pretty quietly, and I wouldn’t expect anything different here apart from maybe an updated TSB. 

I had thought about doing some “destination truck buying“ like Everrett or Laura...but doing so would have made every problem with this truck a million times worse. Thankfully I bought local. And thus have somewhat of a leg to stand on in their service department after spending 6 figures at their dealer recently.

People underestimate the value of that when they only shop the cheapest price. I wonder how many bad experiences in this thread are attributed to service by a non-purchasing dealer. I know it’s not what GM wants, but one has to imagine if the dealer doesn’t view you as a potential future customer, they might be inclined to screw you around, not give a loaner, and / or do shoddier work. 

My local dealer added some urethane to my rear window last Thursday and it’s rained for the last 3 days and I haven’t seen a leak yet. They did a really good job bc it doesn’t look like they touched anything inside or outside the truck. It was kept inside to cure before they gave it back to me. They also said they’ve seen quite a few of these so hopefully they’ve got the fix down by now and I won’t have any issues going forward. I’m just gonna assume it’s fixed and keep checking it when it rains. Fingers crossed I won’t have any more issues. Just for y’all’s information my window is E9 and it was built in Mexico in 4/19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, Brandon Adams said:

So I finally got my truck back from where they damaged a bunch of stuff when they replaced my headliner. They're still fighting me over the gouges on the passenger a pillar. In the process of fixing things, somehow they broke a piece on my rear passenger door... what the heck?

20200229_111841.jpg

I feel your pain. When I got mine back after two months they didn't mount the roof console all the way, the sun visor was hanging off, C pillar trim scratched, and the seat belts on backwards.

Well add me to the leaking rear sliding window. Took it in to the dealer on Monday. He confirmed cracked frame on driver side corner of the frame. Ordered a replacement on Monday and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Service Advisor said bring truck in on Monday to have it installed.

I will post an update on how it goes and the window part number installed.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:34 PM, Centrebaseball said:

One month leak free with my replacement FayUO E4

Mine is an E4 and it's currently leaking, my appointment was set 2 weeks out which is Monday 3/9/2020. The dealership said it would take 3 days but didn't disclose what their fix would be other than they are sending it to a glass shop. Fingers crossed that I am not going down a path of constantly driving loaners and a leaky truck.