Rear window leak

Demon

So I picked my truck up 2 weeks ago from it's second repair. On that day it was pouring down rain, and it's been too cold to wash it so I never looked at the roof since pickup. I did look on pickup day, but with rain, I couldn't see anything. Well wouldn't you know I washed it this weekend with the nice weather and found this....

IMG_1033.jpg

• Sad 1

So I picked my truck up 2 weeks ago from it's second repair. On that day it was pouring down rain, and it's been too cold to wash it so I never looked at the roof since pickup. I did look on pickup day, but with rain, I couldn't see anything. Well wouldn't you know I washed it this weekend with the nice weather and found this....
IMG_1033.thumb.jpg.9af30a32aa304f4b9a2681198b7137ee.jpg

That is ridiculous, but it can easily be fixed with paintless dent repair.

Just now, Robotaz said:

That is ridiculous, but it can easily be fixed with paintless dent repair.

Yeah a guy on Facebook said that. Thank goodness. I'm so done with this. I mean really - seriously. Can you imagine any other job where you work with $60,000 objects that it would be ok to damage them like this?

Finally got my rear window replaced on 2/21/20, we'll see how long it stays dry.  Dealership I have been dealing with is a HUGE dealer with extremely subpar service consultants!  Wasn't contacted when window arrived, had to stop by and learn it had been there for weeks.  Dropped truck off and was taken great care of and request for a service loaner was quickly fulfilled.  Was told it would be at least a day possibly day and a half as they had to do the oil lines, recalls, and window.  Next day I waited until 1500 to call and check on truck and was told my service adviser was gone today but appears my truck was done in the AM and no one called.  Picked up truck and noticed muddy footprints on back seat headrest, all over the back of my front passenger seat and console, and all over the floor.  I understand the floor but damn, could they not look over the truck and put 5 minutes of effort to clean it and make the customer feel they care?  When I walked up to the service consultant he looked at me, picked up his things, and then proceeded to leave for the day without saying a word to me.  GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!  Speaking of service, the oil lines were also replaced which the recall states is to be done with an oil change and new filter.  Checked the oil level and it was barely on the dipstick.  Spoke to the service manager who said "Warranty work only pays for 8 qts of oil".  Really, as a huge dealership your only going to put the minimal amount of oil versus filling it.  Absolutely amazes me how poorly GM treats the customer.  Hopefully the window remains leak free.

Have not looked in the thread in 10 days due to being on vacation out of state but have email notifications set for it and was amazed at how many I had from posts.  Anyways my truck is a 2020 Dmax and my leaking window is an E9 as well.  I am in the same situation as another guy mentioned and my schedule does not allow me to do a circus act with the dealer as I work out of town and I live an hour from my dealer.  I will sit back and watch this unfold I guess especially since I paid for an extended warranty.  I have towels rolled up in my back window all the way across and blue paper towels stacked in the corners of the floorboard. I really want to do all the spoiler repairs myself, I replaced my wife's tahoes "fin antennae" because they wanted like $600 to do it and I bought the part for like $100, but I am not touching this truck as far as this window problem goes.  I hate it though because I buy a lot of mods and whatnot and I hate to do a buyback or lemon law situation after already buying parts like retrax pro covers, wheels/tires, stereo equip etc.  

Edited by Bo Evans

On 2/11/2020 at 4:16 AM, Ethan Fernaays said:

I couldn't agree with you more, they are going to say or do whatever they can to ease concerns.    They did say that if this fix fails they then have to remove and reseat the back window unit.    They are also claiming that they are seeing solid windows with the same leak as well.  I am wondering now after researching this topic if there could possibly be two issues at play here.   A spoiler seal issue which would impact all model years regardless of fixed/slide windows, and a defect with the slide windows themselves.   I tried to get a good look at the top of the plastic above the slide unit to see if there I could see any cracks but without risking damaging the headliner, I couldn't get a good enough view up there.   Its a sad state of affairs anyway you look at it.  So many folks that have spent so much hard earned cash on these vehicles and GM is sitting on it without a real solution.   Because it is not a "safety issue" they aren't going to be forced to do a recall and repurchases are out of the question because a leak in theory can be "fixed".    I will keep everyone posted as my journey continues, but I have to say that I am skeptical at best with the proposed fixes.

Mine is leaking too and this could be a safety issue because water creates mold and mold is toxic.  We need to all get together and file a class action suite against GMC asap.  

• Like 1

Hello everyone.  I'm on my second Chevy Silverado with a rear window leak.  My 2019 RST within 2 weeks of purchase started leaking from the rear window.  I brought it to the dealership and they butchered my repair dented the side panel and scratched my window leaving a huge mess of caulking.   This was after 10 days of them having my truck.  I went home and put a hose on it and it started to leak.  Back to the dealership I go.  The dealership did a water test and they called me and said the upper anterior was damaged from the water test.  Long story short, they had my truck over 30 days with no solution so they got me into a 2020 for the same price.  It's been 6 weeks and the first rain came and guess what.....rear window is leaking on my brand new 2020 RST!  This is a 50K truck, GMC is aware of the issue and they are not providing a solution.  We need to file a class action lawsuit against general motors or the dealership if they will not get us out of these defective trucks.  There is also a mold issue if the leak is bad and it does not dry out.  Mold is toxic to adults and children so this should now be a safety hazard.  Let's go after GMC, we don't deserve this kind of stress and our time out of work to try and get our vehicles fixed.  I will find an attorney and I will email the US attorney General as they WILL help if enough of us come together.  My personal email is

[email protected].  I'm in Southern California.  

Time for all of us to be taken care of.

Dave Heath

• Like 2

I haven't posted before, and generally never do, but felt compelled to as I've just had my 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 (built in 10/18) repaired. I got the same runaround at the dealer as everyone else. My dealer actually showed me a sandwich bag full of gaskets that GM had sent them, but they had no TSB or instructions what to do with them. They sent me on my way with water leaking in my back window. Luckily I have space in my garage and a 2nd vehicle to drive until I could figure out what to do. I immediately knew not to waste anymore time with them. I operate a large service company with over 350 vehicles on the road, so I took my truck to our trusted body shop that we've used for years. They went ahead and ordered a factory rear sliding window and when it came in they noticed that the factory window came with something referred to as "beetle tape" over the clips that fastened the window unit to the body. This was unusual as they've never seen that. This immediately worried them that the clips had become a known issue. Sure enough they tore mine down and found spider cracks in the glass around both top clips. I had only noticed the water leak on the driver side, but the passenger side was cracked as well and it would have been a matter of time before that side leaked too. The owner of the body shop consulted with me that he wouldn't put the new window in if it was his truck, because "tape" is not going to permanently stop a leak and by design the clip location is putting stress on the window when snapped in causing fractures in the glass. So he proposed coating the entire crack area and clip area in clear urethane. The location of these clips is well out of sight and only visible after a complete tear down of the rear upholstery, rear seats, and top spoiler. He did all of that and we've now been through many heavy rain periods and several washes without a drop. There could be multiple problems, but as I see it, its not the spoiler, its not the gap between the body and the window, its not gaskets or sealant. Its a poor design revolving around these "clips" and GM now knows about it because new factory replacement windows are coming in with beetle tape over the clips. I thought I would at least share my experience and the fix. Good luck everyone

Edited by Wolfpack1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfpack1 said:

I haven't posted before, and generally never do, but felt compelled to as I've just had my 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 (built in 10/18) repaired. I got the same runaround at the dealer as everyone else. My dealer actually showed me a sandwich bag full of gaskets that GM had sent them, but they had no TSB or instructions what to do with them. They sent me on my way with water leaking in my back window. Luckily I have space in my garage and a 2nd vehicle to drive until I could figure out what to do. I immediately knew not to waste anymore time with them. I operate a large service company with over 350 vehicles on the road, so I took my truck to our trusted body shop that we've used for years. They went ahead and ordered a factory rear sliding window and when it came in they noticed that the factory window came with something referred to as "beetle tape" over the clips that fastened the window unit to the body. This was unusual as they've never seen that. This immediately worried them that the clips had become a known issue. Sure enough they tore mine down and found spider cracks in the glass around both top clips. I had only noticed the water leak on the driver side, but the passenger side was cracked as well and it would have been a matter of time before that side leaked too. The owner of the body shop consulted with me that he wouldn't put the new window in if it was his truck, because "tape" is not going to permanently stop a leak and by design the clip location is putting stress on the window when snapped in causing fractures in the glass. So he proposed coating the entire crack area and clip area in clear urethane. The location of these clips is well out of sight and only visible after a complete tear down of the rear upholstery, rear seats, and top spoiler. He did all of that and we've now been through many heavy rain periods and several washes without a drop. There could be multiple problems, but as I see it, its not the spoiler, its not the gap between the body and the window, its not gaskets or sealant. Its a poor design revolving around these "clips" and GM now knows about it because new factory replacement windows are coming in with beetle tape over the clips. I thought I would at least share my experience and the fix. Good luck everyone

This seems to be Gm's way of doing things today. if they cant fix it with tape, bubble gum or glue they go  :dunno: working as intended.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfpack1 said:

Please report back if the leak happens to come back.  ?

2 hours ago, Wolfpack1 said:

Thanks for sharing.  Any pictures of the "beetle tape" or the clips?  Don't the non-sliding fixed position windows use the same clips?

Edited by wacnstac

3 hours ago, Wolfpack1 said:

Thanks for the info. Happen to have any photos? Would be interesting to see the tear down images. 

• Like 1